BPL Community Profile

Dale Wambaugh (dwambaugh) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Native Seattlite, hiking and biking in the woods since I was a kid. Returned to backpacking a couple years ago and discovered the pleasures ultralight hiking-- it appeals to my gadgeteering nature and my aging body parts :)
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Ultralight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dale Wambaugh

Showing 5591 - 5600 of 7539 | Page: 1 ...551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 ...754

Forum » Thread

Smartwool?
Smartwool makes a light gray: https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/Mens/Apparel/Baselayer/_/703/

In GEAR » really light ls wool shirt in a lighter color?
August 16, 6:08pm

Re: ultralight knife sheaths?
Kydex sheaths work great. You can heat and mold the stuff with a heat gun too. The heat gun works for making fine adjustments in tension and fit too. For paring knives and the like that will tr...

In GEAR » ultralight knife sheaths?
August 16, 9:45am

Re: Down
I recently added a down First Ascent vest and a jacket to my clothing kit. The vest is light enough that I would throw it in for any dry weather pursuits, and the jacket should be great for cold-an...

In GEAR » Favorite Mid-Layer?
August 12, 2:41pm

FS: Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket
What a crew--- someone to jump on the "grenade" and save our wallets and marital bliss. Give that man a medal!

In Gear Swap » FS: Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket
August 12, 9:37am

Re: Warmth
Dan wrote, "...but carrying a down inner and down vest would be heavier on cold trips than just carrying a warmer down jkt so it's a tough call. Ideally if I was rich I'd just have a v...

August 12, 9:29am

Re: Midlayer
Thanks, Dan I put together a similar layer set on paper. I can see your point about the efficiency using a base layer as insulation, but it is insulation none the less, and it wicks too, as well...

August 12, 1:16am

NY Times article on simple living
I like the term "calculated consumption." I've called it hypermaterialism-- trying to describe going for quality over quantity.

In Chaff » How do you save money and live a simple life?
August 12, 12:14am

Second Ascent in Seattle
Check with Second Ascent in Seattle. They had a lot of Mont Bell jackets the last time I was there. www.secondascent.com --- if you don't see it, call them. It's a mom-pop store with great ...

In Gear Deals » Deals on Mont-Bell?
August 11, 2:44pm

ikea woodstove
I see those things all the time in thrift stores for $0.99 or so. I really like the idea of using it with Esbit. I'm thinking of a little cat food can to raise the Esbit off the bottom and make...

In Make Your Own Gear » 3,06 oz. ikea woodstove
August 11, 2:39pm

Rubber bands!
Rubber bands cut from inner tubes make for good traction and are easily removed for bear duty. You can slip pack straps under and around. Adds about .5oz each. I need to come up with a booby tr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear Canisters
August 11, 2:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Dale Wambaugh

Dale Wambaugh has posted no reviews.