BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 551 - 560 of 659 | Page: 1 ...47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Forum » Thread

Re: Winter weight down clothing instead of sleeping bag for summer adventures?
In the summer I don't see temps below freezing normally, even in the alpine of Colorado. So I would never be carrying a down parka of that weight (17oz parka) in the summer so definitely not m...

In GEAR » Winter weight down clothing instead of sleeping bag for summer adventures?
January 30, 9:56pm

Re: Re: "Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review"
Cool pictures. Interesting to see the Cricket next to the Trailstar. For a solo shelter I have been evaluating both. Having room to move around during bad weather is a big deal to me and so have ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review
January 29, 10:01pm

Re: SmartWool Merino
Something doesn't make sense. I own both Cap and SW Merino base layers and have worn both extensively. Sorry but I just have a hard time believing you. Cap smells after one day, merino after ...

In GEAR » SmartWool Merino
January 26, 8:48pm

Re: Re: Re: TrailStar review
"Randy, you don't really need any other protection under a Trailstar, except for bugs if its the season for them. It is large enough for two people to move around and still be plenty prote...

January 26, 9:17am

Re: TrailStar review
For those that have the TS or are considering it, if you have a Poncho/Bivy setup presumably you would keep that even with a TS? 1] Poncho for Rain Gear (3 season) (GoLite Poncho 7 oz) 2] Bivy ...

January 26, 8:56am

Re: Mountain Laurel Designs TrailStar Shelter Review
Thanks for that link Thom. I just read over that. Summarizes it nicely, that is it's pretty much Cost vs Weight which largely what most Cuben vs SilNylon choices are about. If saving 6.5 oun...

January 25, 4:20pm

One shelter for all conditions
I switched last year to the GoLite Poncho Tarp. That was my first move into Tarp camping. I was generally pleased but had a chance to experience the scenario of hiking in the rain and then having...

January 25, 1:38pm

Winter Setup
Echoing what a number of others have said. A heavier base layer with shell is great while active and then a puffy jacket to put on top of all that for stops and camp. My personal setup is the Pat...

In GEAR » Winter Middle layer for Backpacking/skiing
January 17, 7:50pm

Depends on the wind
Goggles over glasses work fine (using the OTG versions) provided its either windy or your moving quickly (skiing) so that air is effectively circulated. If not too windy or too cold I where prescr...

In Winter Hiking » Goggles and glasses
October 19, 10:25pm

Atlas 12 Series
My opinion is that in New England your snow has much heavier moisture content and therefore flotation can be achieved with less length than true dry powder. I would think 25" would be plenty....

In GEAR » Snowshoe length/size for mainly New England
October 04, 10:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm