BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 541 - 550 of 671 | Page: 1 ...46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ...68

Forum » Thread

SOLD: FS: Backcountry Boiler II
Sold

In Gear Swap » FS: Backcountry Boiler II
February 26, 12:58pm

FS: Backcountry Boiler II
I bought two Supreme Boilers from Devin most recent batch. Selling the second. Never used. Includes the FireFelt Alcohol wick that was an optional purchase. $100 Shipped CONUS. Paypal: ran...

In Gear Swap » FS: Backcountry Boiler II
February 26, 12:23pm

Sirocco Love
Just to echo that the Sirocco is an awesome piece of gear. One of my favorite pieces. Hood and chin coverage when fully zipped are my nice features.

In Gear Deals » Eddie Bauer/First Ascent 30% OFF Coupon Code
February 25, 9:08pm

Re: Re: Poncho as ground sheet
The newer versions of the GoLite Poncho are 7oz http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx The material is described there as 15 Denier Ripstop Nylon with Silicone/PU 1200mm Waterproof Fire Re...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Poncho as ground sheet
February 24, 4:39pm

Poncho as ground sheet
For rainy weather I am looking at this setup 1] Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn (10oz with stakes) 2] GoLite Poncho Tarp (7oz) rain gear I will hike in. If I am expecting good weather and the tri...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Poncho as ground sheet
February 24, 4:11pm

Re: transportation
I think the Bear Vault containers are the Gold Standard but ridiculously heavy. In Rocky Mountain NP, Yosemite and a few others they are required but where I travel in Colorado I use a Opsak Loksa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » CDT/Rockies Section Hike
February 24, 8:39am

Protein Powder
I take Fitness Labs NutriFit powder in a baggy. Mix with water for a high quality meal supplement. 2 scoops with 16oz water provides 40g of Protein along with a myriad of other nutrients. Many o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » High Protein Trail Foods
February 23, 7:59pm

Re: Spinn Twinn
I'll take it.

In Gear Swap » Spinn Twinn
February 22, 10:56pm

Re: CDT/Rockies Section Hike
I know this isn't the direct response you are looking for but you may want to check out the Colorado Trail website http://www.coloradotrail.org/ Has great resources for trip planning and eva...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » CDT/Rockies Section Hike
February 22, 4:06pm

Re: el tarpo
I have never understood an A frame pitch on something as small as a Poncho Tarp. Same issues as other front entrance shelters. Getting in/out involves climbing over your gear/bag. Am I missing s...

In Philosophy & Technique » Learning to poncho (a recent convert)
February 21, 10:04am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm