Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 541 - 550 of 1010 | Page: 1 ...46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ...101

Forum » Thread

Re: Lamarck
Christopher - Re evolution to North Lake in a day: I came out over Lamarck col at the end of a backcountry ski trip in late May 2011, and we went from just below the evolution outlet to Grass Lake ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Help me plan a loop in Evolution area
September 01, 4:00pm

Re: Trail Runners
I've had a number of pairs of Asics that have held up well to backpacking and hiking use.

In GEAR » Trail Runners
August 29, 9:56pm

Re: SPOT or PLB rental?
I rented from plbrentals a few years back with no problems, but now I have my own - McMurdo Fastfind. I think it's the lightest, and I believe you can rent one from plbrentals now. I doubt a...

In GEAR » SPOT or PLB rental?
August 24, 3:20pm

Re: Practical impact on comfort when going from SUL to UL (and adding 1LB of optional gear).
If it makes your trip more fun it's worth carrying.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Practical impact on comfort when going from SUL to UL (and adding 1LB of optional gear).
August 24, 3:10pm

even harder when you're hurt
The real hard question is - how would you do it if you were injured? I think for most folks with a lot of experience in the outdoors, being unable to get to a more sheltered spot is much more likel...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bad benightings
August 24, 3:08pm

Re: Mt Whitney new years eve - reg trail
I have not been up there at that time, but I can tell you that conditions up there at that time are completely unpredictable from here and now. It may be a horrific storm or beautifully clear and c...

In Winter Hiking » Mt Whitney new years eve - reg trail
August 23, 8:27pm

Re: 1st night camping with tarp, what did I do wrong?
It's like real estate - location, location, location. As others have mentioned. Not just an exposed location, but one with poor stake-holding ground. Once in that spot you were going to have a ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 1st night camping with tarp, what did I do wrong?
August 23, 7:57pm

Re: Old Machines may be your best bet
I second the motion on the older machines. Newer machines that are inexpensive do not hold up well, while an older machine may be very simple but rugged. I learned to sew on my mom's Singer Fea...

In Make Your Own Gear » Advantages of a good sewing machine? (and should I upgrade)
August 21, 10:37pm

Re: Where are the lightweight backpackers? Not on the JMT...
My experience working in retail some years ago (REI and 2 small shops) was that most people would come in wanting a bag that was warmer than they needed (just in case) and a tent that was 1)roomy a...

In GEAR » Where are the lightweight backpackers? Not on the JMT...
August 21, 8:58pm

Re: Starting to rethink my stake tent on granite
I make a distinction for my own purposes between ground that is funky for stakes - has too many rocks in the soil - and just plain slabs. On funky ground, I can usually get some stakes in. On a sla...

In GEAR » Starting to rethink my stake tent on granite
August 21, 6:32pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.