BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 541 - 550 of 871 | Page: 1 ...46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ...88

Forum » Thread

high altitude sun
+1 on David's mention of the high altitude sun. Bring plenty of sunscreen for theose boys, and make them use it! I aim for every 2 hours myself when I am above the trees.

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » CA destinations
February 03, 12:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Whitney isn't everything
"If I change my mind at a reasonable date and decide to hike the North/South Lake loop instead, will I be making a permit unavailable to someone else who wants to hike the JMT?" If you...

In Pre-Trip Planning » North Lake - JMT - South Lake
February 03, 12:06pm

thinsulate
It's warmer for a given thickness than down or the lofty synthetics, but heavier for a given warmth. So it's great for gloves/mittens or shoes, things where thickness is a problem. Would pr...

In Make Your Own Gear » Thinsulate?
February 03, 11:36am

Re: Re: Videos in reviews
"And I'm also curious how the Reactor defied basic thermodynamics to empty an upright canister. What gases did those canisters claim to have?" The real question is not how it defie...

In Editor's Roundtable » Deep Freeze: A Cold, Hard Look at Winter Stoves
February 02, 9:10pm

Re: CA destinations
Desolation can be really nice if you head for the areas that get less use - there are some nice little lakes in the Rockbound Valley that don't see a lot of visitors, and the lakes around Aloha...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » CA destinations
February 02, 9:03pm

Re: John Muir in Late April
Late April/early may is the prime backcountry skiing window. Hiking - not so much. It is vaguely possible that this year will be so abnormal that you could do a god portion of the trail at that poi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » John Muir in Late April
February 02, 6:04pm

Reactor questions
Brad - nice work. I have a couple questions about the Reactor. First, in your carts the pot for the Reactor seems to be listed with two differnt weights. In the first chart, with stove weights, po...

In Editor's Roundtable » Deep Freeze: A Cold, Hard Look at Winter Stoves
February 01, 10:58pm

beware the bias
You may have issues with fabric stretch on the bias at your corners. What may happen is that the fabric stretches so much more on the bias ( which your ridgelines to the corner will be) that the ce...

In Make Your Own Gear » forming the "peak" of a mid
January 31, 11:28pm

Re: Bearikade Expedition MKII / Outsak UL / Bear Vault BV500
I have both sizes of Bearikades and also an older Bear Vault (mine is no longer approved). Love the Bearikades. More room, less weight, easy to open. At the time that I bought the Bearikades, anoth...

In GEAR » Bearikade Expedition MKII / Outsak UL / Bear Vault BV500
January 31, 1:34pm

Re: Tahoe Rim Trail
It's going to depend not only on the conditions at that point, but also what your idea of "do-able" is. There will be some snow, even if it turns out to be a really low snow year. If ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Tahoe Rim Trail
January 28, 3:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.