BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 541 - 550 of 561 | Page: 1 ...38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

Forum » Thread

Quilts
Can someone with experience using quilts answer some questions for me ? I tried using my sleeping bag as a quilt, but was only warm if I tucked the edges under me to reduce the air space at the ...

In GEAR » Quilts
January 09, 6:10pm

Wall condensation
I'm thinking of adding a 12-16" wall of silnylon between the mesh and floor of the typical tarptent. I'm hoping it will cut down on wind blowing onto the people sleeping - and add som...

In GEAR » Wall condensation
January 09, 6:00pm

Liquid Fuel Stove Startup
On my MSR Wisperlite, the trick is to just let a tiny bit of fuel into the priming cup. I open the valve, hear the hiss indicating fuel is flowing for about 3 seconds, shut the valve and light. T...

In GEAR » MSR Simmerlite Non-Hair Removing Techniques
January 09, 5:08pm

Why pitch tent in forest
It's not because the trees use moisture from the soil. Pitching you tent in the forest is better because: 1. A field has vegitation that supplies extra moisture at night. 2. The leaves on ...

In GEAR » A floor in a tent/condensation
January 07, 6:22pm

Condensation prone wall design ????
The picture didn't post well. It seems that all the spaces were removed... Here's another try:

In Make Your Own Gear » Condensation prone wall design ????
January 07, 6:28am

The walls will hang straight down, but not from the edge. The walls will attach to the tarp 12-16" inboard from the edge so that the roof sticks out past the walls about 12" horizontally...

January 07, 6:21am

I'm thinking of making a tarp tent that essentially looks like an old fashioned canvas wall tent. The tarp will be pitched A-frame as high as my trekking poles go and the walls will attach...

January 06, 7:30pm

Re: Re: Natural Firesteel Tinders
I've heard that, but I think it's mainly to keep the striker from accidentally hitting and scattering the pile of tinder. I only do it that way when using magnesium dust shaved from the bl...

In GEAR » Firesteel vs. Natural Tinder
December 21, 8:46am

Re: Pitching large tarp with cross over storm guys
I suspect the "storm guys" (which run from the poles across the sides of the tarp to form a diagonal "X" pattern) on Scout patrol tents are to compensate for the relatively shor...

In GEAR » Large Tarp Setup?
December 21, 7:42am

Natural Firesteel Tinders
I've been able to use the firesteel from the side of a magneesium block (3/16" x 3" with 2" of useable rod beyond the handle) to light dry meadow grass, crumpled birch bark and a...

In GEAR » Firesteel vs. Natural Tinder
December 21, 7:04am

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm