BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 541 - 550 of 554 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Natural Firesteel Tinders
I've heard that, but I think it's mainly to keep the striker from accidentally hitting and scattering the pile of tinder. I only do it that way when using magnesium dust shaved from the bl...

In GEAR » Firesteel vs. Natural Tinder
December 21, 8:46am

Re: Pitching large tarp with cross over storm guys
I suspect the "storm guys" (which run from the poles across the sides of the tarp to form a diagonal "X" pattern) on Scout patrol tents are to compensate for the relatively shor...

In GEAR » Large Tarp Setup?
December 21, 7:42am

Natural Firesteel Tinders
I've been able to use the firesteel from the side of a magneesium block (3/16" x 3" with 2" of useable rod beyond the handle) to light dry meadow grass, crumpled birch bark and a...

December 21, 7:04am

Firesteel vs. Natural Tinder
Given the increasing popularity of hte Bush Buddy woodstove, I'm wondering how critical the tindertabs are. The British bushcrafter's seem to be able to make fire using a firesteel and nat...

December 20, 1:29pm

Re: some responses...
I hiked from the North rim to the South rim years ago (with a heavy pack) starting on May 15th. There is often too much snow on the road to drive into the North rim before then, and the park doesn...

In Post-Trip Reports » Rim to Rim to Rim Weekend 2008
December 19, 6:12pm

Lightning vs Hubba Hubba vs SL3
I think I'm not ready to deal with a single wall shelter in the humid, still and often rainy conditions I usually encounter in Virginia. A tarp is also out since the shelter needs to be "...

In GEAR » Lightning vs Hubba Hubba vs SL3
December 12, 3:55pm

Convertible / Zip-Off Pants ?
For late spring and early fall backpacking: Are convertible / zip-off pants (like the REI Sahara) the way to go - or are separate shorts and wind pants a better way to go ? In terms of fabric...

In GEAR » Convertible / Zip-Off Pants ?
December 07, 2:14pm

Re: Tarp & Bivy
I think I can see how a tarp might help if dew was forming on the outside of the bivy due to environmental moisture from grass, drizzle or fog)... But how does the tarp prevent condensation from f...

In GEAR » soggy bivy nights?
November 29, 9:14am

SL3 vs Rainshadow
Thanks Shah. This is exactly the kind of head-to-head comparison I was looking for. If anyone else has any experiences that may help me decide what to order, please share it. I didn't real...

In GEAR » Tarptent vs Small Double Wall Tent
November 03, 5:13pm

Re: Re: Single vs Double
Doug, It's hard to counterbalance the extra width of the SL3 against the more vertical walls of the Hubba Hubba to see which one seems "roomier" and easier to move around in since ...

In GEAR » Tarptent vs Small Double Wall Tent
November 03, 8:07am

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm