BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5361 - 5370 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544

Forum » Thread

Yeah, I saw that coming
I did check the site and there were a few things I could use, mostly consumables. Saved about $70. Plus no tax and no shipping. Already got the email confirmation, so I am good to go.

In Gear Deals » 40% off at Backcountry...
February 27, 2:17pm

different clothes for different situations
There are situations where it makes sense to bring insulated clothing. For example, when shoeshowing and moving at a reasonable pace, then you can go with just a base and and maybe a shell. But let...

In Philosophy & Technique » less clothes, more sleeping bag
February 27, 2:13pm

re: CLO2
Yes, sometimes we over react to health warnings. I have been using iodine tablets for years... but not everyday, inspite of the warnings many people have given me :) I do think JimQ does make a ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children
February 27, 1:58pm

Flyweight Rucksack
On sale at backcountry.com if you use the code that is posted on another thread. You can get it for $35.37 with the 40% discount.

In GEAR » 12oz 1950 ci tnf
February 27, 12:40pm

Re: Looking for another 'freestanding' option
Brett, Your post is confusing to me. I have never used a Contrail, but it appears to be an excellent piece of engineering. What situations is this not the shelter for you? Tarps are versatile...

In GEAR » Looking for another 'freestanding' option
February 27, 10:06am

Filters, cooties and other dangers
Filter manufacturers play on our fears. I have never even considered using a filter. They are heavy, time consuming and can break, plug up and fail you. I don't hike with a "just in tim...

In GEAR » Aquamira Questions
February 27, 12:22am

Re: Re: Can you Guess
"Wagga Wagga???? There's nothing there! It's not Mt Ziel, but ..." Do I get any credit if I say it is not Ayers Rock?

In Photo Gallery » Can you guess?
February 26, 8:28pm

Re: Re: What's in your first aid kit?
Stephen, I have gotten a few minor burns over the years. Pretty much just let it blister, then pop it, add antiseptic, and cover with a bandaid or gauze. If it hurts like hell, then take an Advi...

In Philosophy & Technique » What's in your first aid kit?
February 26, 2:31pm

Re: Re: Aquamira Questions
Ben, Thank you for the information! Sounds like the tablets are the way to go.

February 26, 2:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Aquamira Questions - Iodine
I have been using iodine since the '60s and no health issues that I know of. Also, the taste doesn't bother me, so I don't use the neutralizer tablets. Plus iodine tablets have a short ...

February 26, 1:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am