BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5361 - 5370 of 5396 | Page: 1 ...521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540

Forum » Thread

Re:
Paul, I am older than you and have been going solo since I was a teenager. I would not take all that stuff, but that is a personal decision. Why not keep it is a separate ditty bag, and just ...

In GEAR » fanny, lumbar and waist packs
February 17, 4:07pm

Women's 40SL
Sarah, My wife has the same pack. Although she refuses to do an overnight trip, she loves this pack. Over the years, she has always tried to leave her day pack behind and get me to carry everyth...

In GEAR » deuter futura pro 42
February 16, 8:56pm

Silk
Depends on the footwear. If you are using trail runners, then you don't really need them. I find silk works the best for me and holds up over time. The synthetics just don't seem as stur...

In GEAR » Sock Liner
February 16, 4:01am

Re: Deuter Futura Pro 42
Justin, I think the Deuter weighs more than your Kelty Redwing. I have a Pro 42. I can get as much in it as I can get into my ULA Conduit, which is a 50L. But only if I am not using the hydra...

In GEAR » deuter futura pro 42
February 16, 3:52am

Varies
Poncho/Tarp has been my main system for 40 years. When weather will be bad or an extended trip, then I take a bivy too. In really bad/cold weather then it is rain jacket and pants, and some s...

In GEAR » Poncho vs Rain Jacket and Pants
February 16, 2:33am

Nice list
I would drop the Serenity. If need be, you can pitch the Gatewood to the ground. I would take a different camera and save another 10 ounces, but camera equipment is such a personal choice, and am n...

In Gear Lists » JMT 2009 10lb base
February 13, 5:38pm

Adaptation
Jim, You are correct. Our bodies do adapt, some better than others. A couple months ago I did a 4 day trip in the Nevada desert. I carried 3 liters total for the first full three days withou...

In Philosophy & Technique » I met an interesting person in Joshua Tree NP...
February 13, 11:14am

BPL Merino Wool Hoody Size Question
I hear these run big. I am 5'11" / 150 lb. A medium Patagonia Capilene 1 fits me a tiny bit loose, and the sleeves go a bit past my wrist (I think they are supposed to). Also the med...

In GEAR » BPL Merino Wool Hoody Size Question
February 13, 3:18am

Water
Justin, Water needs vary by person. I have lived in the lower desert for over 30 years. I live close to JNP, and view it as a higher atitude place to cool off. I can hike in extreme heat. I am r...

In Philosophy & Technique » I met an interesting person in Joshua Tree NP...
February 13, 2:07am

GoLite Ion/Poncho Tarps
Kyle, You might want to look at a GoLite Ion. There is a thread with lots of pictures here on BPL. It is made out of Dyneema, like your Conduit. Has some nice looking staps. Weight is 10 ounces....

In GEAR » SUL Gear Help
February 13, 1:25am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am