BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5351 - 5360 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538

Forum » Thread

BPL Merino Wool Hoody Size Question
I hear these run big. I am 5'11" / 150 lb. A medium Patagonia Capilene 1 fits me a tiny bit loose, and the sleeves go a bit past my wrist (I think they are supposed to). Also the med...

In GEAR » BPL Merino Wool Hoody Size Question
February 13, 3:18am

Water
Justin, Water needs vary by person. I have lived in the lower desert for over 30 years. I live close to JNP, and view it as a higher atitude place to cool off. I can hike in extreme heat. I am r...

In Philosophy & Technique » I met an interesting person in Joshua Tree NP...
February 13, 2:07am

GoLite Ion/Poncho Tarps
Kyle, You might want to look at a GoLite Ion. There is a thread with lots of pictures here on BPL. It is made out of Dyneema, like your Conduit. Has some nice looking staps. Weight is 10 ounces....

In GEAR » SUL Gear Help
February 13, 1:25am

MLD, SMD & ULA
I have a SMD Wild Oasis. Awesome tarp tent and almost identical to the Gatewood, but without the poncho option. If you are much taller than 6'0" it will be a tight fit. I have used it in s...

In GEAR » SUL Gear Help
February 12, 5:13pm

Options
Aquafina bottles work. But I always worry about puncturing a hole in them. If you are comfortable that you wont stick a hole in it, it is the best option and they a free after you drink the water :...

In GEAR » Container for alcohol
February 12, 2:06am

Ban/Taxes?
:) Maybe we should ban UL equipment so we can ensure no one will get hurt with not enough equipment, or have a certification program and tax to ensure those using them are competent. Perhaps a t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Others Bug Me With This in the Backcountry!
February 10, 6:34pm

Hike in the real wilderness?
Personally I avoid trails with people, and for sure campsites with other people, and usually avoid trails altogether. If there is a trail guide published for a given area, I avoid that too, unless ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Others Bug Me With This in the Backcountry!
February 10, 11:45am

Re: Bivy
If you are just worried about spindrift, then there is a lighter way. Just a single ultralight breathable/water resistant VBL. Several brands out there from 4 to 8 oz. When I am really concerned...

In GEAR » Bivy Question
February 10, 11:29am

Re: ION and fitting it all in
Although I usually use an inflatible pad, a CC of the same length weighs much less. On extended trips I use a CC, as I get used to it over time. But on weekenders I take an inflatible.

In GEAR » Golite Ion how do you fit it all in
February 10, 11:14am

Handi Wipe?
21" X 11" .3 oz Cheap.

In GEAR » MSR Nano
February 10, 11:11am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am