BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5351 - 5360 of 5369 | Page: 1 ...518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537

Forum » Thread

Thanks, all and... "Duh!"
After my original post, it dawned on my that I already have a pair of trekking poles (duh!)... sort of. I have an ancient pair of adjustable Edelrid Ski poles, that I occasionally use when snow sno...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trekking Poles - Do I need them? (sorry long thread)
February 08, 11:46pm

Trekking Poles - Do I need them? (sorry long thread)
I have probably made my decision (at least subconsciously). The question is: will trekking poles be a better solution for me, and will they enhance/improve my efficiency/enjoyment? Some backgrou...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trekking Poles - Do I need them? (sorry long thread)
February 08, 1:12pm

It is a lightweight stove
Jim's base weight is under 15lbs, so I guess that is easily in the lightweight range. He likes the stove, it is convenient and efficient. Isn't that what we are all about? At altitude wi...

In GEAR » Jetboil performance claim: Roger Caffin calling me out!
February 05, 11:26pm

Well Done
Very nice! I did notice that your book "The 2 Ounce Backpacker" weighs 2.4 ounces :)

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Testimony: My Journey into Lightweight Backpacking
February 03, 11:46pm

Re: Pack cover
"Do you carry a pack rain cover? What do you use? I am carrying a Gregory Pack Cover that I bought with my old Whitney BP. The pack cover weighs 5.6oz. The nice thing about it that it is sturd...

In Gear Lists » Base Weight
February 03, 11:26pm

Re: sleeping bag liners
I use a vapor barrier liner in really cold weather/snow with a waterproof bivy and tarp tent. Otherwise by bag gets wet from condensation after a couple of days, and the combination keeps me warmer...

In GEAR » sleeping bag liners
February 03, 11:02am

Re: Ex Light
Lynn, With all the gear I have bought over the years, I should probably get better educated on what I am really buying :) I have a MontBell UL Windshirt which is made of 15-denier "polya...

In GEAR » MontBell Ex Light: UL Madness?
February 02, 1:11am

Re: MontBell Ex Light
I have one and REALLY, REALLy like it. The thing is, this is a "sweater" or mid layer. As such, pockets or hoods don't make sense to me. In cold weather I have a hooded base layer,...

In GEAR » MontBell Ex Light: UL Madness?
February 01, 3:37pm

Cooking on a fire is a pain
In the 60's I only cooked on a fire, because I did not know there was an alternative. It is time consuming to do in some areas/conditions, and most important to me it is a REAL pain to clean yo...

In GEAR » Has anyone only cooked on a fire?
January 30, 8:29pm

Great Post
Actually, this subject is really important. It is not so much our weight, but our overall fitness. Here is a little bio about me. Please don't take the comments wrong. I am only a guy who l...

In Philosophy & Technique » Weight Reduction
January 29, 11:09pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am