BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5341 - 5350 of 5401 | Page: 1 ...522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541

Forum » Thread

Re: Gear List Advice
Mark, Over the past 6 months or so, I moved by base weight from 20lbs to well below 10lbs. I suggest you start by buying two books. "Trail Life" by Ray Jardine, and "Lightweight&q...

In Gear Lists » Gear List Advice
February 25, 10:40am

Re: Re: Re: My gear list
Justin, You probably don't want the REI bivy, as it is waterproof/breathable... which means it is waterproof and does not breath. With high dew points or sub freezing weather, it will get yo...

In Gear Lists » My gear list
February 24, 12:54am

Re: external
Rob, I do a lot of hot weather hiking. Here is a list of the packs I own and how I use them: Gregory Whitney 95 - long winter trips with lots of snow when I need to carry tent, warm gear, sno...

In GEAR » backpack, external or internal frame?
February 23, 11:32am

Re: WalMart & China
Craig, WalMart is the biggest. People tend to like to go after the biggest, which then becomes the "badest." In the U.S., WalMart's success lies in the fact that the American co...

In Chaff » REI return policy
February 23, 11:04am

Re: Dividend Checks
"Speaking of...when are they getting here this year? And will they be less than last year with the downturn? I love having REI around for browsing at stuff when I get bored....I don't have...

February 23, 1:33am

Re: Re: Re: back sweat
"Honest Sweat! It greases the "wheels" of the backpacking world." Yes it does. I have a dark complexion, and often just hike without a shirt in the summer. Not a good option ...

In GEAR » Wet Back of Shirt
February 23, 12:43am

Re:...
Craig, I have both. My size medium long-sleeve Cap 1 weighs 7.2 oz. My size small Bearthooth weighs 7.4 oz and has a hood and face mask. Both garmets fit about the same, with the Bearthoot a tad...

In GEAR » Patagonia Capilene 1 vs. Beartooth hoody
February 23, 12:35am

Re: reply
"For me, when it comes to winter hiking, I won't compromise my sleep system for weight." Ditto!!

In Winter Hiking » Winter sleep systems
February 23, 12:22am

sigh...
I hope this is my last post on this. :) Yes, you can have a say in how the REI business is run. Members do get to vote for members of the Board of Directors. Or at least they used to. I don'...

February 23, 12:13am

sure
ah, heck. I used, and still use the same Nalgene bottles I bought decades ago. And these probably are the BPA stuff... whatever that is. So I have probably exposed myself to 1,000s time more tha...

In GEAR » Is it ok to reuse plastic water bottles?
February 22, 11:21pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am