Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5341 - 5350 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: Lighten Up
Ah, requiring every parent to participate could eliminate some of the kids. That is an unfortunate fact of our society, some parents have to work and other parents don't care. Sometimes it is u...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Lightening up Adults (again)
March 30, 5:20pm

Re: Ohm has what you need
Mike, Thanks for the feedback. I am waiting to hear back from ULA on some customizing questions, and will probably go for it. That way I can retire my Deuter Pro 40.

In GEAR » The Effectiveness of Stays
March 30, 5:12pm

Re : Caldera Keg
Rand, Weight and anticipated MSRP?

In GEAR » Caldera Keg users.
March 30, 5:09pm

Re: The Effectiveness of Stays
This is a timely thread for me, as I am thinking of purchasing an Ohm for my heavier loads with extra water. I find that my frameless packs tend to pull back where the shoulder pad connects to pack...

In GEAR » The Effectiveness of Stays
March 30, 1:43pm

Re: might run into you
Peter, I think you mentioned they kids have done this trip before. Wow, several 15 + mile days for a couple of 11 year olds. I am impressed!

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » JMT Slightly Modified 7/28-8/15
March 29, 11:10pm

Re: Bivy: The Dark Science
Not so much a dark science, you just have to learn from your mistakes :) Good advice from Dave. Another thing, when it gets cold many people tend to stick their head into the bag and breath ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bivy: The Dark Science
March 29, 11:05pm

Mark, Thanks for the tip. I will try that on my next trip. Do you package each breakfast in individual bags, or pack it a large one, then re-use a smaller one for each meal?

March 29, 10:56pm

I am fairly new to the Caldera system, but have been testing two of them on recent trips. One is the Keg, the other a Snow Peak solo mug (28 oz). For a perspective, here are both with several wa...

March 29, 10:14pm

Re: Re: Tablets vs drops
"Nick -- how are the tablets working out for you?" Great, thanks. Actually I had been using idodine tabs for decades. Was happy with them, other than the shelf life after the bottle...

In GEAR » Aquamira Tablets or drops?
March 29, 8:47pm

Re: Are clean-shaven men trustworthy???
Cute. Here are some others: To a man, ornithologists are tall, slender, and bearded so that they can stand motionless for hours, imitating kindly trees, as they watch for birds. - Gore Vida...

In GEAR » safety razors
March 27, 4:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am