BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5311 - 5320 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: more UL creatures
I almost stepped on this Pacific Rattler... Another Pacific Rattler Use your imagination...

In Photo Gallery » UL Creatures
March 23, 2:38am

Re: BushBuddy in the desert
In most deserts, yes you should be able to find plenty of fuel for a BushBuddy. However, since deserts are 'sensitive' enviornments it is not recommended. Most areas only allow it if yo...

In GEAR » BushBuddy in the desert
March 23, 1:45am

Re: Dessert night time food storage?
What deserts in So Cal, and what locations? Most parts of the lower Colorado and Mojave are sparse, which means not a lot of critters. Normally I leave my food next to me in a stuff sack or a fr...

In Philosophy & Technique » Dessert night time food storage?
March 23, 1:33am

Re: Lightweight hooded merino light colored top Re: Gear We'd Buy—If It Existed
Jim, Yes it exists! It is the BPL Beartooth Hoody. My small weighs 7.5oz. It currently is out of stock in the gear shop.

In GEAR » Gear We'd Buy—If It Existed
March 20, 8:59am

Re: Gear We'd Buy—If It Existed
Roleigh, No intent to impress anyone. I think you are somewhat correct about body weight. And unfortunately oft times this is genetic. I am fairly agile, which allows me to move quicker than mos...

March 20, 12:25am

Re: Re: Re: Gear We'd Buy—If It Existed
Roleigh, I hope I didn't offend you with my comment, and I did include a smiley face at the end of the sentence. What is my MPD on the JMT? Don't know. Haven't been on it since 19...

March 19, 10:18pm

Re: Gear We'd Buy—If It Existed
Henry, Great idea and post. Roleigh, you have a problem that is an excellent candidate, but lets tackle that one from the inside out. I think it would be better if the Ursak was approved, or ...

March 19, 3:19am

Re: Ray Jardine's Suggestions
Kevin - #1 Shoulder Carry - not with 18 lbs, but with 10 or less. I only do this once in a while, usually when my back gets soaked with persperation. Once it dries, I go to the standard method. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Ray Jardine's Suggestions
March 18, 2:50pm

Re: Mosquitos-
Stogies... hadn't thought of that. Get the cheap Grenadiers, they taste awful and the kids will never be inclinded to take up smoking.

In Make Your Own Gear » Mosquito-proof clothes for kids.
March 18, 11:33am

Re: Another UL butane lighter
I have found Bic's to be bomb proof. They still work after you forget to take them out of you pockets and wash your clothes. Just need to let the fint dry out. I have found that the Scripto ...

In GEAR » Another UL butane lighter
March 18, 11:27am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am