BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5301 - 5310 of 5400 | Page: 1 ...521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540

Forum » Thread

Re:
Diane, If you poncho is a GoLite (and most others too) it has snaps and velcro to make it shorter when you are wearing it. With a bivy, you don't have to pitch it to the ground, unless it...

In Philosophy & Technique » Help me understand how to set up a tarp
March 06, 1:10am

Back and forth
Colin, I only looked at it for a couple minutes, just to help out. It appears the the purpose of the option is to let you calculate base, consumables, FSO, etc at the bottom of the sheet. I woul...

In Gear Lists » 2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries
March 05, 6:57pm

Re: RE: snowshoe/winter trips from So Ca
Yes, I remember the that big winter. I made my first shoeshow/backpacking trip. The Rangers didn't want to give me a permit, because they wanted no one back there. But I convinced them. I sure ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Suggestions??? Quick snowshoe/winter trips from So Cal
March 05, 2:23pm

Change the option
Colin, Go to the Option page in the workbook and change to the weight option from whatever it is set at. I found that after I added the toolpack, it would not work until I changed the weight opt...

In Gear Lists » 2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries
March 05, 1:35am

Re: Dos Ocupación Pirámide-Tyvek
For use in nasty weather - How waterproof is Tyvek? I have two Tyvek ground sheets I have washed a couple of times. When I take them out of the washer, they feel like they have not absorbed wate...

In GEAR » Dos Ocupación Pirámide-Tyvek
March 05, 1:21am

Analysis Toolpack
Colin, Similar issues with earlier versions of Excel. This should work. First of all make sure you have the 'Analysis Toolpack' Add-in installed. Thes instructions work on 2000 and 20...

March 04, 3:59am

TNF Flyweight Rucksack - Pictures
This is not a review, but I got my $35 pack from backcountry.com today. I travel a lot for business, and thought it might be great to throw in my suitcase with a few other items. Since I often take...

In GEAR » 12oz 1950 ci tnf
March 04, 3:20am

Re: SoCal winter
There is 4+ feet of snow in the area of the tram, so make sure you bring snowshoes! No snow is predicted for this weekend. But winds have been 20 - 40 mph lately and there will be gusty winds this ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Suggestions??? Quick snowshoe/winter trips from So Cal
March 04, 2:25am

Re: Help me understand how to set up a tarp
Diane, There are so many ways... I prefer a-frame for most situations, but that is just a personal preference and by no means the 'best' way. The biggest three items IMO, is to let na...

In Philosophy & Technique » Help me understand how to set up a tarp
March 04, 1:46am

Re: Single Wall Pyramid- Rain Entry
Jim, One of the drawbacks or the pryamids is the need to put the single pole in the middle of your sleeping area. Have you considered something of an offset, which might make it easier to design...

In GEAR » Single Wall Pyramid- peak vent or not?
March 03, 10:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am