BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 531 - 540 of 557 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Camp Shoe Ideas (a solution)
I second Mike's suggestion -- after switching to trail runners, I've never found a need or desire for camp-shoes. Camp shoes would just be one more thing to keep track of, and I like si...

In GEAR » Lightweight Summer Camp Shoe Ideas
November 22, 1:19pm

Re: wow, great feedback!
Take Mike's advice -- buy a scale before you buy anything else. Without a scale, you are just guessing at the weight of your gear. Look at used gear if you want to save money. Also consider ...

In Gear Lists » Starting with the Basics
November 21, 10:45am

FS: New Balance MT800 Trail Runners, Men's Size 9
Used New Balance MT800 trail running shoes, men's size 9D, black and orange color. Features listed by manufacturer: * Durable and versatile neutral shoe * ABZORB in heel and forefo...

In Gear Swap » FS: New Balance MT800 Trail Runners, Men's Size 9
November 19, 6:45pm

Re: Smartwool Sock Fans...
Brian: REI will have Smartwool socks on sale for 25% off starting on 21 November. I may stop by the local store, and pick some of the PhDs if they are the same thickness as the Adrenalines.

In GEAR » Smartwool Sock Fans...
November 19, 6:08pm

Re: Multi Use Gear Disaster Scenarios
On the very first backpacking trip I went on with my son's Scout troop, one of the other adults slipped and broke his ankle. We used the Sam Splint from his first aid kit, his trekking poles...

In GEAR » Multi Use Gear Disaster Scenarios
November 19, 11:04am

Re: Re: 8 Day Winter Gear List
It's been ages since I've done any serious winter camping, and my experience was limited to the Adirondacks and the White Mountains, but our preferred footwear was vapor barrier boots. Very...

In Gear Lists » 8 Day Winter Gear List
November 12, 10:48am

Re: Re: Re: UL cooking platform
Check out the GoLite Infinity Backpack review on this site. Golite uses the same corrugated plastic, reinforced with thin metal rods, as a framesheet.

In GEAR » UL cooking platform
November 09, 6:38pm

Re: A thread gone awry
Ryan J, I'll respond to your challenge on business ethics, at the risk of turning this into an American Management Association seminar... >>Mike W. pointed out in his post -- >>...

In Chaff » R.I.P. - Bush Buddy rip off
November 08, 8:17am

Re: Re: Re: Re: winter closed cell pad advice
Hufeza: Yes, used them both. I see what some of the reviews mean when referring to durability. I was referring more to abrasion resistance - I haven't noticed any loss of thickness yet.

In GEAR » winter closed cell pad advice
November 07, 10:07pm

Re: PPPPD
Mike: Is this a variation of the Groovy-Biotic diet presented in your BPL article?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » PPPPD (Pounds Per Person Per Day)
November 07, 5:30pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm