BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5291 - 5300 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: Heet or Alcohol
I don't think so. I experimented with both, and they are pretty much the same.

In GEAR » Heet or Alcohol
March 25, 10:38pm

Re: When/How did you stop looking down?
Ah, that is an occupational hazzard. Almost every injury (luckily all minor), have occured when I am lost in the moment, instead of watching my feet. Last summer I missed a rattle snake by inch...

In Chaff » When/How did you stop looking down?
March 25, 10:31pm

Re: Survival
Don't really want to hijack the thread, but I have gotten more than one inquiry about my post. All branches of the military have Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) training. The g...

In Make Your Own Gear » Ultimate Survival Sparkie
March 25, 10:22pm

Re: razors
:) And maybe reeking is good! No one will want to hike or camp near you. You get the wilderness to yourself.

In GEAR » safety razors
March 25, 2:25pm

Re: razors
To each their own. If you feel the need, then definitely take it. I find shaving a pain in the butt, and don't even trim my beard unless I have a business meeting to attend (I work out of my...

In GEAR » safety razors
March 25, 2:13pm

Re: ULA Contact
Normally, Brian and Casey are prompt at getting back. But they must be really busy. I am waiting for a reply on an email too. If it was critical, I would call. Here is the problem we face with t...

In GEAR » ULA Contact
March 25, 1:07pm

Re: Getting my gear ready for 2009
I leave the phone in the center console. I have to call my wife when I return to the trailhead... just an agreement we have; otherwise I would leave it at home. I have insurance on the phone, so no...

In Gear Lists » Getting my gear ready for 2009
March 25, 11:53am

Re: video
Dan, I applaud your survival skills and encouraging others to hone theirs. As to magnesium bars, they require practice like any other tool. A tablespoon is a lot, much more than I would norm...

March 25, 10:42am

Re: Re: re: My 3-season gear list, advice on weight reduction
Sid, You asked for input on the Conduit vs the Exodus. It is a toss up, as the Conduit has more capacity. If you really want something lighter, the GG Murmur at 36L weighs 7.5 oz and will probab...

In Gear Lists » My 3-season gear list, advice on weight reduction.
March 25, 8:37am

Re: video
IMO, way too small and needs good motor skills. If you are cold, going to be tough to get a fire started. The Sparkie is a mechanical device subject to failure. Hard to beat a 1.5 oz magnesiu...

March 25, 12:58am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am