BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5281 - 5290 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: Re Which bivy to get?
I just looked at his review, he likes it. Cons were price and weight. Price I justify for quality. However at 18 oz, I wouldn't consider it for a 3 season solution. In winter, it sounds like an...

In GEAR » Which bivy to get?
March 27, 2:17pm

Re: Re Which bivy to get?
Mike, I have not used a bivy with some of the newer materials like e-Vent, so your experience could very well invalidate my statement. Does the e-Vent do a good job over an extended period with ...

March 27, 11:55am

Re: Which bivy to get?
Ryan, Not saying that I am an expert, but... The key to a bivy is breathable and water resistant, not water proof. Resistant takes care of elements the tarp misses. Truly breathable keeps the...

March 27, 10:43am

Re: barefoot
Actually this is the best way to walk. Unfortunately it is not really acheivable for most of us. If you want to hike barefoot, you have to walk barefoot all the time. When I was a kid in the 50...

In Philosophy & Technique » Learning to Walk
March 26, 6:53pm

Re: re: Bivy with Cape
John, Another thing we often forget is that in most cases a ground sheet is not needed with a bivy. The lightest sheet is around 2 oz for a GG polycro and Tyvek can weigh anywhere from 3 - 5 ...

In Gear Lists » My 3 Season New England List
March 26, 12:41pm

Re: snakes and rocks
Joe, I think the problem is reverse for many of us. We start looking ahead most of the time, and forget to look down when we should. I guess it is just a habit. If you are looking down too often...

In Chaff » When/How did you stop looking down?
March 26, 12:29pm

Re: Lighweight case for glasses?
Jim, I took a different route. When hiking, I just need glasses to read. So I bought a cheap pair of dime store reading glasses, the lightest I could find. I just keep them in a light sack, and ...

In GEAR » Lighweight case for glasses?
March 26, 12:24pm

Re: re: List/ TiGoat Bivy
John, I have a Wild Oasis tent, which sets up just like the Gatewood. If you pitch it close to the ground, you are going to get a lot of condensation with a high dew point. And it you move aroun...

In Gear Lists » My 3 Season New England List
March 26, 9:54am

Re: safety razors
Or, you could drill holes in the handle of a BIC :) A lot of work for a 25 cent item.

In GEAR » safety razors
March 26, 9:36am

Re: Windshirt Advice Request
I have no problem with the Montbell wind shirt either. But lets remember we all are different. Ryan hikes a lot in very cold weather. I hike a lot in hot weather. I would need a lot more insula...

In GEAR » Windshirt Advice Request
March 26, 9:34am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am