BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5281 - 5290 of 5388 | Page: 1 ...520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539

Forum » Thread

Re: Looking for people's Bivy experience
So many great posts already! When I think of a lightweight sleep system, it is a bivy/tarp or bivy/poncho-tarp combo. My main shelter for several decades has been a tarp or poncho. I have always...

In GEAR » Looking for people's Bivy experience
March 13, 1:50am

Re: Boosting Warmth
"I agree, proper insulation is the real key. But in wintertime, if you've got to make water anyways to have a drinkable supply, why not make it the night before and enjoy the free heat in ...

In GEAR » Nalgene bottles, worth their weight
March 11, 12:45pm

RE: ettyquit
Any reputable and knowledgeable retailer; brick & mortar, or Internet should expect the customer to try out something as expensive and size-varying as a first class down bag. Last year I pur...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleeping bag Return Shipping Etiquette
March 10, 10:06pm

Re: Insulating Qualities
I had never thought of using a 'hot water bottle' for keeping warm. It seems to me that the extra weight of a couple of Nalgenes would weigh the same as a Montbell Ex Light jacket or inner ...

In GEAR » Nalgene bottles, worth their weight
March 10, 9:13am

Re: Sleeping bag Return Shipping Etiquette
Jim, There is nothing wrong with what you suggest other than you need to return the unused bags in the original shipping boxes/packing materials, and in the same condition you received them. Of ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleeping bag Return Shipping Etiquette
March 09, 10:56pm

Re: Re:Torsolite and Staying Warm
Ben, In cold weather (snow), I find that keeping my feet warm keeps the legs warm. I usually use a vapor liner in my bag. But if things are on the edge, I wear a pair of neoprene booties. Only w...

In GEAR » Torsolite and Staying Warm
March 09, 5:55pm

Re: Sternam Strap
I don't have this problem, but have found not using a strenam strap makes everything work better. It is just a matter of getting everything else adjusted better. With the straps riding a little...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sore Collar Bone Fix?
March 09, 10:02am

Re: Torsolite and Staying Warm
Ben, What kind of conditions are you experiencing this cold? I am a vey cold sleeper, but find I stay warm enough with a torso and my pack under the legs with no other pad. Even a quilt has some...

In GEAR » Torsolite and Staying Warm
March 08, 11:13pm

Re:
Diane, If you poncho is a GoLite (and most others too) it has snaps and velcro to make it shorter when you are wearing it. With a bivy, you don't have to pitch it to the ground, unless it...

In Philosophy & Technique » Help me understand how to set up a tarp
March 06, 1:10am

Back and forth
Colin, I only looked at it for a couple minutes, just to help out. It appears the the purpose of the option is to let you calculate base, consumables, FSO, etc at the bottom of the sheet. I woul...

In Gear Lists » 2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries
March 05, 6:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am