BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5271 - 5280 of 5388 | Page: 1 ...519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Starbucks youtube video
"Forgive a grumpy old Australian for sticking his nose in here. Is that sort of marketing really going to influence the target audience? It looks like total B**LS**T. I find the idea that so...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » starbucks new instant coffee
March 16, 4:29pm

Re: Re: Water bottle for boiling
Kind of tied into the other thread running about using hot water to keep warm. Although not a dual purpose item, a pair of Nunatek down slippers weigh 3.5oz, less than a lot of these bottles, an...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Water bottles for boiling
March 16, 4:17pm

Economic Stimulus
Here is the US, we owe it to ourselves to make 2009 the year of gear acquisition. So this is my strategy for explaining the need to purchase more stuff to my wife. Hey, if I don't buy it... she...

In Philosophy & Technique » No more new gear for me...
March 16, 10:14am

Re: Re: Re: Hot Spots - What do you do?
> sunburns are extremely dehydrating!! and they hurt :)

In Philosophy & Technique » Hot Spots - What do you do?
March 16, 10:09am

Re: starbucks new instant coffee
I am not a coffe connoisseur, but do drink a lot of it. I will have to try the SB's. I have found the only tolerable instant coffe for me to be Nescafe Classico Instant Coffee. Sometimes it is ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » starbucks new instant coffee
March 15, 2:18pm

Re: Hot Spots - What do you do?
Mark, Some comments based on my experiences. Some options are not 'lightweight' but consider them for dealing with extreme heat. Look at the 'theory' and see if you can use some ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Hot Spots - What do you do?
March 15, 1:58pm

Re: Lightweight Backpacking with Young Children
Jim, You are lucky because your wife is willing to come along. Mine was not, so with two of them I had to carry a lot of extra stuff. But since small kids are not going to hike long distances, i...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lightweight Backpacking with Young Children
March 13, 1:37pm

Re: responses
Peter, My hat is off to you! Two 11 year olds on a trip of this magnitude is quite an undertaking. Yes, I would 'suffer' with a heavier load. I have done trips when my kids were even you...

In Gear Lists » JMT yo-yo with HD camera
March 13, 12:06pm

Re: Re: montbell u.l. wind pants
Johann, I normally wear a 30" waist x 32" inseam. For example my REI Mistral pants in this size are a little loose in the butt and legs. I buy 32" X 32" Levi jeans, wash t...

In GEAR » montbell u.l. wind pants
March 13, 4:11am

Re: JMT yo-yo with HD camera
Peter, You are me, a couple years ago! BTW, how old are the kids, it might help with planning gear. You can go a lot lighter, but you have to change old ways of thinking... and that is the to...

In Gear Lists » JMT yo-yo with HD camera
March 13, 3:51am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am