BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5241 - 5250 of 7296 | Page: 1 ...516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 ...730

Forum » Thread

Re: You Guys are Missing the Point!
"People are dying on our streets -- we need to end gun ownership NOW!!" Are you just throwing that out there as a topic that will generate heated argument? : ) Sort of like claiming ...

In Chaff » Frustrated
February 11, 3:16pm

Re: Re: Frustrated
"Or we can go for the tri-fecta: adding capital punishment and abortion to the mix" Or, the nuclear option - ask whether Jesus was g a y : )

In Chaff » Frustrated
February 11, 2:49pm

Re: Frustrated for Different Reasons
"True that. But is anybody forcing us to buy imports?" We've had this discussion before. It's very complicated. Many government actions by U.S. and China. It doesn't...

In Chaff » Frustrated
February 11, 2:33pm

Re: More McHaleisms to deal with
"'Big Wind' is a scam. The turbines cost more in energy terms to build, install and maintain than they will ever return during their design life..." Electricity production data...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
February 11, 1:59pm

Re: Re: advice for a cold night
"Valleys, even with the absence of a river, can often be much chillier than the surrounding temps because the cold air settles there." Cold air flows down a valley like a stream of col...

In GEAR » advice for a cold night
February 11, 12:58pm

Re: Re: Frustrated for Different Reasons
"So, some of the poorer countries can now turn out pretty decent backpacks and jackets. If they are putting in honest effort and turning out good value products -- why do they not deserve your...

In Chaff » Frustrated
February 11, 12:42pm

Re: More McHaleisms to deal with
" don't "knock alternative energy" per se. I have a solar hot water panel on my roof, I use an electric bicycle for local errands. I Collect, saw, chop and stack naturally fallen...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
February 11, 12:32pm

Re: weight of food?
Of course you got 5 calories per gram of carb and protein and 9 calories per gram of fat, but you need some of each. You can have a little more fat to reduce over-all weight. Plus you have othe...

In GEAR » weight of food?
February 11, 9:41am

Re: Shave My Chest--Weight or Warmth?
2 ounces of chest air? Wow! Reading that more carefully less than 2 ounces : )

In Chaff » Shave My Chest--Weight or Warmth?
February 11, 7:32am

Re: "Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?"
"So I answered every question with the most offensive answer I could think of, such as I "Strongly Agree" with statements like "Our race has many superior qualities, compared wi...

In Chaff » Where do you lie on the political/moral compass?
February 10, 8:21pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.