Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5241 - 5250 of 7778 | Page: 1 ...516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 ...778

Forum » Thread

Re: Yet another tarp
I would have the seam from peak to peak, but now that you've done it crossways, I wonder why? Easier to make cat curve, but that isn't necesary. Efficient use of 16 feet of material c...

In Make Your Own Gear » Yet another tarp
May 19, 3:20pm

Re: Yet another tarp
Looks good! Did you glue the reinforcing pieces? Is the 10 feet from peak to peak? There must be a seam between two pieces of fabric that goes crossways rather than from peak to peak?

In Make Your Own Gear » Yet another tarp
May 19, 2:29pm

Re: CR123 Discharge Curve
over about 8 months, batteries were in Steripen the whole time: 3.25 V new treated 4 pints 3.08 V treated 7 pints 3.03 V treated 8 pints 3.02 V treated 8 pints 3.01 V failed 3.25 V new...

In GEAR » I returned my Steripen
May 19, 12:52pm

Re: Re: I returned my Steripen
Actually 3.06 V is consistent with my data : ) One set of batteries failed when they got down to 3.05 V The other set failed when they got down to 3.01 V This is open voltage after they re...

May 19, 11:48am

Sawyer Squeeze freezing
Okay, I got my Sawyer Squeeze. Unfortunately, it says if it freezes you have to discard it. If I have to keep it from freezing, it is quite limiting because maybe 1/4 my trips go below freezing...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze freezing
May 19, 9:18am

Re: I returned my Steripen
I think older units had problems with leakage - you have to flip one of the batteries to prevent. Newer Steripens are supposed to be better. Of my 6 batteries: The first 2 I left in the Ster...

May 19, 8:30am

Re: Re: Re: I returned my Steripen
"I had bad luck with Energizer lithium batteries in my Steripen..." First, you guys said my rechargeable batteries were no good, I have to get brand name Okay, I got Energizer, aren...

May 18, 11:39pm

Re: placebo
I drink untreated water a lot and question if this all isn't irrational fear. But there are some stories of people that got sick and verified they had Giardia, although it's impossible...

May 18, 9:55pm

Re: I returned my Steripen
First I used rechargeable batteries and they only treated a pint or two before failing. Then I got 6 Energizers The first 2 treated 28 pints before failing The next 2 treated 8 pints befor...

May 18, 9:50pm

Re: Re: No elev on iPhone
Uplift is a fraction of an inch a year If it was 1 inch, in 100 years it would rise 8 feet - in our lifetimes this is not significant

In GEAR » Most simple, cheapest GPS receiver recommendation pls
May 18, 3:32pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.