BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5241 - 5250 of 6433 | Page: 1 ...516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 ...644

Forum » Thread

Re: Cutting and Measuring fabric
I just lay the fabric out flat and weight down the corners with a can of food. You want it to be pulled out, but not stretched. I measure with tape measure. I lay out triangles which makes it ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cutting and Measuring fabric
May 23, 8:58am

Re: Backpacking + Electronics
I take a cell phone but coverage is spotty in back country I take a GPS, but obviously it's read only Some day I will probably get a GPS that can also send messages but they're expens...

In GEAR » Communication - Planning - Safety
May 23, 8:25am

look nice
Nice looking tent Innovative use of building wrap for prototype What about condensation? It looks like the door is not directly over your sleeping bag so you could leave it open or partially...

In Make Your Own Gear » Input on MYOG tarp/tent design?
May 23, 7:33am

Re: Why do tarp/tents hiking poles set to different heights
Foot end lower - tarp requires a little less fabric so it's lighter Maybe a little more resistant to wind Cubic Tech in 9 yard increments http://www.questoutfitters.com/ for smaller qu...

In Make Your Own Gear » Starting the process of MYOG'ing my whole setup.
May 22, 10:24pm

Re: Re: hiking staff / bear deterrent
or with someone that climbs trees a little slower than you?

In Multiple Use Gear » hiking staff / bear deterrent
May 22, 10:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Help with R-value
Must be using Imperial R Like you said, RSI is much different - about factor of 6 smaller If you're on an air matress, it will compress where you're laying so will be less than 2.5 in...

In Make Your Own Gear » Help with R-value
May 22, 10:16pm

re
I talked to this guy on Mount Hood. He complained that he forgot his trekking pole:

In Photo Gallery » Admit it. You've got these pictures too.
May 22, 6:23pm

Re: Re: hiking staff / bear deterrent
I wonder what would happen if a bear attacked you and you poked it with a regular trekking pole?

In Multiple Use Gear » hiking staff / bear deterrent
May 22, 6:17pm

Re: Help with R-value
Exped Downmat 7 is 72 x 20 x 2.8, 6 ounces down, R value of 5.9 just guessing that R value is proportional to down weight for less than 6 ounces

In Make Your Own Gear » Help with R-value
May 22, 2:09pm

Re: Not useful for pedestrian use
Maybe a pedometer would work better A lot cheaper

In GEAR » GPS input needed-VERY TIME SENSITIVE
May 21, 8:04pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.