Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 5241 - 5250 of 8300 | Page: 1 ...516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 ...830

Forum » Thread

Re: blended butane failure
If you use a propane/butane mixture at high temperatures like 50 F or whatever, will it maintain the propane/butane ratio more than if you use it close to 30 F? The "accepted wisdom" i...

In GEAR » blended butane failure
October 01, 10:00am

Re: Giardia: Let's Talk SCIENCE
Same here - seldomly share food or water - I have my allocated food so if I ate someone else's or they ate mine I wouldn't have the right amount of food. "it is possible that I am a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia: Let's Talk SCIENCE
September 30, 8:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: blended butane failure
I've used Giga Power and MSR. I think they work the same. The Giga Power may be a little cheaper. Or whichever one is available. Or other brand that says iso-butane. The "Burton&quo...

September 30, 3:58pm

Re: Ha!
Google says it's iso-butane (and 15% propane). Never made any sense to me to have any propane, because it you're at the lower temperature limit, the propane will outgas first leaving jus...

September 30, 3:55pm

Re: Re: Tarp poles
Hacksaw, then file edge to make it smooth so it doesn't cut into fabric

In GEAR » Carbon Fiber or Aluminum Tarp Poles
September 30, 3:50pm

Re: Re: Re: blended butane failure
And warming it ahead of time will work for a while, but as it burns and the butane evaporates inside the canister, it quickly cools off.

September 30, 3:48pm

Re: Re: blended butane failure
Google says Coleman 3250-702T is butane/propane, not iso-butane - that should just barely work at 32 F

September 30, 3:45pm

That doesn't make any sense I used something that was cheap ("Burton" for $2.50 at Fred Meyer for 220g) and I think was butane, maybe with propane, and it worked down to 32 F, but ...

September 30, 3:43pm

1 - use iso-butane instead - good maybe down to 20 F 2 - use inverted canister stove 3 - warm up the canister in your pocket/sleeping bag, then wrap a 1.5 foot aluminum or copper #18 or #16 w...

September 30, 2:37pm

Re: Re: Carbon Fiber or Aluminum Tarp Poles
or, cut the third section into two unequal pieces, use one for one total length and the other for a different like have 2 sections 20 inch, 3rd section cut into a 5 and a 10 inch piece, use one ...

In GEAR » Carbon Fiber or Aluminum Tarp Poles
September 30, 2:12pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.