BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5231 - 5240 of 5388 | Page: 1 ...515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 ...539

Forum » Thread

Re: re: List/ TiGoat Bivy
John, I have a Wild Oasis tent, which sets up just like the Gatewood. If you pitch it close to the ground, you are going to get a lot of condensation with a high dew point. And it you move aroun...

In Gear Lists » My 3 Season New England List
March 26, 9:54am

Re: safety razors
Or, you could drill holes in the handle of a BIC :) A lot of work for a 25 cent item.

In GEAR » safety razors
March 26, 9:36am

Re: Windshirt Advice Request
I have no problem with the Montbell wind shirt either. But lets remember we all are different. Ryan hikes a lot in very cold weather. I hike a lot in hot weather. I would need a lot more insula...

In GEAR » Windshirt Advice Request
March 26, 9:34am

Re: My 3 Season New England List
John, Great list, IMO. Although Mike C is going to be upset that you are carrying TP :) Is the TiGoat bivy water resistant/breathable? I would stay away from water proof bivys in 3 seasons. A...

In Gear Lists » My 3 Season New England List
March 26, 9:25am

Re: rattlesnakes, et al
Dean, That theory does make sense. Although I wonder how it could be proven. This particular snake was shading itself under a bush. The temperature was probably in the high 80's F. So its...

In Chaff » When/How did you stop looking down?
March 26, 9:15am

Re: Re: sealskinz
I agree. Mesh trail shoes work better. In cold and wet, they can be helpful. But they are thick, and your shoe size may need to be increased. They do add insulation to help keep the feet warm. Anot...

In Gear Lists » My 3-season gear list, advice on weight reduction.
March 26, 8:46am

Re: big collapsible containers
Ryan, REI sells the 3L bag and 3L hydration reservoirs. I don't like anything over 2L. They are too big and when full take up too much space in one area, making it hard to organize the pack....

In GEAR » big collapsible water containers
March 26, 8:42am

Re: Kelty parts
Contact 1-800-423-2320. They still stock waist belts, shoulder straps and hardware.

In GEAR » Kelty Super Tioga parts ?
March 25, 10:42pm

Re: Heet or Alcohol
I don't think so. I experimented with both, and they are pretty much the same.

In GEAR » Heet or Alcohol
March 25, 10:38pm

Re: When/How did you stop looking down?
Ah, that is an occupational hazzard. Almost every injury (luckily all minor), have occured when I am lost in the moment, instead of watching my feet. Last summer I missed a rattle snake by inch...

In Chaff » When/How did you stop looking down?
March 25, 10:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am