BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5221 - 5230 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: Mt. Whitney
"my friends and myself are making a road trip from Texas to California to climb the Mountaineer's Route of Mt. Whitney." Whoa! Sounds like you need to take some climbing classes, a...

In Post-Trip Reports » Mt. Whitney
April 11, 8:41am

Re: Re: What is most ultralight belt?
"I made a belt from a leftover toggle thingie and a thin piece of elastic cordage. I have to slip on my pants with the belt fastened, but I left a lot of extra cordage to allow for that. Not a...

In GEAR » What is most ultralight belt?
April 10, 12:05am

Re: Re: Packrafting Light?
"And two of the packrafting features trying to upsell while an actual backpacking related article about rain mitts sits humbly in the list" umm... Yes it is an additional income poten...

In Packrafting » Packrafting Light?
April 09, 5:43pm

Re: knife
Shane, Well, this is a "light" backpacking website, and the philosophy is to par ounces. I am not saying everything posted on BPL is gospel or that it works for every situation. Lik...

In Gear Lists » My 3-season gear list, advice on weight reduction.
April 09, 1:18pm

Re: flyweight rucksack
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19032&skip_to_post=150197 Similar thread.

In GEAR » TNF Flyweight Rucksack
April 08, 9:15pm

Re: VBL microclimate
IMO, VBL is only good for condensation issues. And most people do not like them (I do). You would be better off to replace the 4.5oz with more down. Also, have you considered a quilt? Nunatak...

In Gear Lists » Modified 3 season Gear List
April 08, 11:55am

Re: Other observations from personal use
Agree with Andy on the seam sealing. Also I don't like to wear merino wool inside them, as the mitts are "slippery." I normally use a Burton Outlast Soft-shell Glove Liner.

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Laurel Designs eVENT Rain Mitt Review
April 08, 11:45am

Re: Synthetic Sleeping Bag
Synthetics have never worked out for me. But if I was in the market for one, I would look at the BPL quilts with some insulating clothes.

In GEAR » Help with a synthetic sleeping bag selection
April 08, 11:34am

Re: need a large pot for a group
Yes, aluminum is a good option and easily available. Plus it lasts. When I need to melt a lot of snow I bring my 30+ year old Sigg Tourist. This is a nesting set up, and I may just bring one or ...

In Make Your Own Gear » need a large pot for a group
April 08, 11:31am

Re: Re: Affordable wind/rain jackets?
"The combination that works for me is a GoLite poncho and the BPL Brawny windshirt." Agreed. Poncho/tarp and windshirt. Plus the poncho is my shelter.

In GEAR » Affordable wind/rain jackets?
April 08, 11:23am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am