BPL Community Profile

Dale Wambaugh (dwambaugh) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Native Seattlite, hiking and biking in the woods since I was a kid. Returned to backpacking a couple years ago and discovered the pleasures ultralight hiking-- it appeals to my gadgeteering nature and my aging body parts :)
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Ultralight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dale Wambaugh

Showing 5221 - 5230 of 7528 | Page: 1 ...514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 ...753

Forum » Thread

Open shelters
I find that sleeping in an open shelter seems much colder than an enclosed tent; likewise for simple tarps with open ends and clearance between the tarp and ground. I slept on my porch while te...

In GEAR » Why am I still cold with this winter quilt?
December 18, 2:18pm

GoLite Utopia and Xanadu tents
You might look at GoLite Utopia and Xanadu models, which are discontinued, but some new stock is still around, as well as used. The structure is basically the same, but the Xanadu has a side entry ...

In GEAR » Freestanding tent recommendations: BD Firstlight???
December 18, 12:31pm

Re: Single or some double wall tents, any difference?
The typical inner tent for a double wall has a bathtub floor, protecting against spray and splash, leaving the outer wall to handle the condensation and rain. With a good design there are some vent...

In GEAR » Single or some double wall tents, any difference?
December 10, 9:43pm

Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka = Rainjacket
If it is cold enough to actually hike wearing a down jacket, however thin, it won't be warm enough to rain. A shell and a 100w fleece would be more than enough. Wearing down while exerting ...

In GEAR » Montbell U.L. Down Inner Parka = Rainjacket ?
December 10, 9:27pm

Re: AT vs PCT
Adam recountered: "Dale, I absolutely hike with a map when I need to, but I was asking my question based on my experience on the AT where it was impossible to lose the trail and hardly anyone ...

In GEAR » Are maps required for PCT thru-hike?
December 10, 7:36pm

Re: Are maps required for PCT thru-hike?
I consider them a critical safety item. If you want to die, wander around on unfamiliar mountain trails without a map and compass. If nothing else, think about your family and those who might risk ...

In GEAR » Are maps required for PCT thru-hike?
December 10, 1:50pm

Responsible consumption
I had been thinking about going through this exercise on paper but never got around to it. It is an interesting exercise, but it does point out issues with sustainability and the social-political i...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Backpacking, Wal-Mart Style
December 09, 8:28am

Re: Lightweight Backpacking, Wal-Mart Style
Server hiccup/double post-- sorry

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Backpacking, Wal-Mart Style
December 09, 8:28am

Re: Waterproof(ish) Pants
I asked a similar question and landed on the lighter softshell pants. I got some OR Pursuit pants, but there are many more. The REI Mistral pants are big on my list.

In GEAR » Waterproof(ish) Pants
December 06, 11:35pm

Re: Why?
Moras? They are light, cheap, and they work. I buy them at commercial fishing supply stores. I have one I bought 25 years ago that is still going strong. Why a fixed blade knife? I like having ...

In GEAR » Mora Knives
December 06, 11:26pm

All Reader Reviews by Dale Wambaugh

Dale Wambaugh has posted no reviews.