BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5201 - 5210 of 5415 | Page: 1 ...512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 ...542

Forum » Thread

Re: "Dont wear your day clothes to bed-myth?"
Depending on the temp - Normally wear clothes to bed. If cold and extra insulation is needed, then a down sweater and pants are worn. I may bring a vapor barrier liner if condensation is an ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Dont wear your day clothes to bed-myth?
April 08, 11:18am

Re: Down Sweater vs 2nd Sleeping Bag
With two bags, I would worry about compressing the loft in the bags, and reducing the warmth. When I want to push the limits of my Marmot Atom another 10 degress, I wear a Patagonia Down Sweater...

In GEAR » Down Sweater vs 2nd Sleeping Bag
April 08, 2:35am

Re: Modified 3 season Gear List
Sid, Pretty solid lists. I would skip the pack covers and use a liner. I have always hated covers, they don't work that well for me. Which is one reason I like poncho/tarps. Glad to se...

In Gear Lists » Modified 3 season Gear List
April 08, 2:24am

Re: trouble with caldera cone
Joshua, The dovetail joint can be an achilles heel. Also, one could real slice a finger if not careful (I haven't yet). If you get one with a keg, and slide the cone inside it "top&q...

In GEAR » trouble with caldera cone
April 08, 2:03am

Re: Re: Re: list
Overall good list, not the ultralightest, but very workable. Lots of good advice already. I always enjoy reading Tad's remarks :) "Why do you need gloves for yourself? If for some...

In Gear Lists » My first gear list...help please
April 08, 1:46am

Re: What about day hikes?
My current day pack is heavier than my normal pack(s). It is an REI Venturi 30 with a 3L hydration system. Very common for us to hike all day, and my wife and I have a favorite 16 mile loop on the ...

In GEAR » What about day hikes?
April 07, 7:52pm

Re: Ultralight fun in the Los Padres
Diane, You timed the wild flower bloom perfectly!! Golden Poppies... my favorite. Also with all the concern with using a tarp, looks like you got than down. Good to see you practicing several...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ultralight fun in the Los Padres
April 07, 6:08pm

Re: I need a couple new pairs of Pants for this Spring & Summer...
For cooler days REI Mistral )Schoeller). Mountain Hardward Canyon pants.

In GEAR » I need a couple new pairs of Pants for this Spring & Summer...
April 07, 5:52pm

Re: Re: MLD TrailStar Shelter
I remember reading something about it last year, but I thought it was Cuben fabric.

In GEAR » MLD TrailStar Shelter
April 07, 12:53pm

MLD TrailStar Shelter
Now on the MLD Website. Pryamid with 5 panels. Weight = 15oz. 50 sq ft of floor space.

In GEAR » MLD TrailStar Shelter
April 07, 11:31am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am