BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5201 - 5210 of 5468 | Page: 1 ...512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 ...547

Forum » Thread

Re: -15F
Alli, I have done a fair amount of cold hiking in my lifetime, but my no means am I going to try and pass myself off as an expert. At -15F and the realistic possibility of a storm that could ...

In GEAR » U.L. Overbag?
May 17, 4:35pm

Re: Poncho/Bivy in the sierra's?
Ground cloth with a bivy is kind of redundant. The bivy is your ground cloth. But for people who strew gear all over the place, a ground cloth could be of benefit... but really unneeded extra weigh...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Poncho/Bivy in the sierra's?
May 17, 4:14pm

Re: heat
Tim, But it is a dry heat. :)

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Short Backpacks in So Cal.
May 17, 3:47pm

Re: Re: SW - bugs & crawlies are non-issue IMO
Ben, To me the main purpose of a ground sheet is to protect your sleeping system against abrasion and keep things clean. So, it is a requirement. Regarding ground moisture. If the ground is s...

In GEAR » bug and tarp solutions?
May 14, 9:56am

Re: Re: smoking
"Man there are so many things to worry about other than what other people do. If someone is getting on your nerves then keep hiking." So simple, and so eloquent. BTW, we should enc...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Smoking and hiking...
May 14, 1:00am

SW - bugs & crawlies are non-issue IMO
SW deserts... sleep under the stars. If it rains, then a tarp or poncho overhead.

In GEAR » bug and tarp solutions?
May 14, 12:56am

Yes, but
Poncho as a ground sheet is a multi-purpose item. The GoLite should be able to handle both. But to me, Poncho as rain gear AND a shelter makes more sense. Now you can use a GG polycro or Tyvek f...

In GEAR » Poncho as a groundsheet?
May 14, 12:35am

Lots of options
It depends on the time of year. But here are a few desitnations. - San Bernadino NF (San Gorgonio district) - San Bernadino NF (San Jacinto district) - San Jacinto State Wilderness - Joshua T...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Short Backpacks in So Cal.
May 14, 12:26am

Desert... complicated
Joe, Currently, this is how I generally handle it. Total base + water < 12 lbs = GG Murmur Total base + water < 20 lbs = ULA Conduit Total base + water < 30 lbs = ULA Ohm To...

In GEAR » Desert guys - pack choice?
May 14, 12:21am

Don't Worry, be Happy
Don't need to worry about snakes or animals. Do need to avoid tourists... so hike off the beaten path. Have fun.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Going to SW, Anything I Should Worry About?
May 13, 11:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am