BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5201 - 5210 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: tilley hats
I use the Airflow model, which has mesh ventilation just below the crown. Does okay in light rain, but in heavy rain I would imagine water would get in through the mesh. When it rains hard, I strap...

In GEAR » tilley hats
April 24, 1:38am

Re: re: Nunatak Weights
John, Will do. Probably won't get it until the beginning of May. I do have a couple trips planned in May, so it will get some use.

In GEAR » Question About Nunatak Weights
April 22, 12:56am

Re: getting motivated...
Perhaps you can slowly make the 'outdoors' a normal part of life. I don't hike or backpack to escape anything. I just do it. And I hike almost every weekend, 52 weeks a year. Of cou...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » getting motivated...
April 22, 12:20am

Re: Q About Nunatak Weights
John, After trying the quilt I bought from you, I decided to get one from Nunatak. After speaking with Tom, I felt very comfortable in ordering. He told me upfront that it would be 6 wee...

In GEAR » Question About Nunatak Weights
April 21, 12:29am

Re: a custom quilt is what i thought first off`
"Check out nunatak usa. They can make a quilt fit to your measurements. Being a quilt you wont be confined inside of it, yet still be plenty warm." Agree. Call Tom at 1-866-NUNATAK ...

In GEAR » Sleeping Bag Help for Tall Claustrophobe
April 20, 11:56pm

Re: Myths about Expensive Cross-Training Shoes
Nathan, Great post! I agree lighter is better. Barefoot is best, but not realistic for most us adults who have to go to work in shoes. But there are so many factors. Running is harder on feet...

In On the Web » Myths about Expensive Cross-Training Shoes
April 20, 1:02am

Re: How light should I go?
Steve, Hike your hike, and take equipment suited for the conditions. As a poncho/tarp user and advocate; I don't use it on every trip. Pick your gear suitable for the trip, and what is we...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How light should I go?
April 19, 11:33pm

Re: 3+1
Here is my last trip in warm weather with little chance of rain: GG Murmur w/o hip belt = 6.2 MLD Silnylon Poncho/Tarp with stakes/lines = 12.6 Trimmed GG 3/8" Foam pad = 2.6 GG Polycro ...

In GEAR » Whats your weight for the big 3+1
April 17, 6:35pm

Re: Re: too tall for Montbell?
>> Wouldn't a person sleep warmer by some degree with the pad inside rather than outside a bivy? I always use my closed cell foam outside. Good point Brett Peugh about tall persons an...

In GEAR » Enclosed Tarp for a Tall Guy
April 17, 5:52pm

Re: Enclosed Tarp for a Tall Guy
Ryan, I think you have the perfect set up, which is what I use. And you hit upon the versatility factor. Eric, You do not have to put a pad inside a bivy, it can be used on the bottom. M...

In GEAR » Enclosed Tarp for a Tall Guy
April 17, 10:49am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am