BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 521 - 530 of 671 | Page: 1 ...44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Layer to bring 30 degree bag to 20?
Personally I would use something like a Down Sweater equivalent. As another poster said, the additional warmth you will need for the Bag will also be needed around camp, so a jacket like that has ...

In GEAR » Layer to bring 30 degree bag to 20?
March 02, 6:52pm

Re: Poncho Tarp Help!
You need to tie out the hood part so it doesn't sag. Here is another pitch option.

In GEAR » Poncho Tarp Help!
March 02, 2:20pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alternatives
"reduced weight ... depends on the setup ... i suspect if you add all the extras the difference wont be that great ... not to mention you can get very light tents these days" Ponc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » tarp, bivy, ground cloth vs. UL tent weight/cost analysis
March 02, 9:17am

Re: Re: Re: Alternatives
"not really ... some tents can be used fly only if you so desire ... so basicaly a tarp .." Still very heavy that way. The Copper Spur in Fly only mode is 1 lb 14oz. I think others...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » tarp, bivy, ground cloth vs. UL tent weight/cost analysis
March 02, 8:04am

Re: sak
Sorry for the confusion. Loksak is the company www.loksak.com. The Opsak is their product that is fully odor proof http://www.loksak.com/purchase/opsak-3.html

In GEAR » Ursack closer to being allowed in Yosemite?
March 01, 3:49pm

Re: Re: Not smelling is a MUCH bigger priority...Loksak
It should be standard operating procedure in ANY area but I think sometimes people are focused soley on the storage container thinking they have done their job as long they put their stuff inside t...

March 01, 3:39pm

Not smelling is a MUCH bigger priority...Loksak
The debate can rage back and forth about containers to prevent a Bear/Critter from accessing it's contents. My personal view is that a Loksak to seal out the smell is of FAR greater importance...

March 01, 3:01pm

Re: Re: so...
Hilarious Nick! Some golden nuggets of wisdom in that post. I can vouch having been married 20+ years. I would add another piece of advice. Occasionally you need to actually sell some gear (alb...

March 01, 2:03pm

Re: tarp, bivy, ground cloth vs. UL tent weight/cost analysis
Here is my setup to give you an example of a much lighter and less expensive solution Light - If I know weather will be bad. 1] Gossamer Gear Spinn Twinn $175, about 12oz including cord, Line...

March 01, 11:23am

Neoair Blowing up by mouth
Directly from Cascade Designs website "Lasting Performance: The All Season mattress can be inflated directly without the worry of exhaled moisture wetting insulation and decreasing perform...

In GEAR » Neoair All-Season questions
March 01, 9:44am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm