BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 521 - 530 of 660 | Page: 1 ...44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ...66

Forum » Thread

Re: Anyone hike with a cape as rain wear?
I think the Tyvek would be better than the garbage bag. More stiff and would probably shed water better and breath a little better. Having said that, the more important thing would be to toss the...

In GEAR » Anyone hike with a cape as rain wear?
February 28, 4:48pm

Re: ice axe
The shorter axes are primarily for steep snow climbs (> 45 degrees) where you are climbing straight up (not traversing) and therefore don't want a long axe that would be more difficult to pl...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Help Ice axe novice determine the correct length and which crampons
February 28, 10:45am

Re: Ursack with Opsak
+1 on Opsak inside the Ursack. That should be standard practice and is how Ursack recommends using their product. Ben the reason the Ursack is better than a 2oz bag is the the Kevlar in the U...

In GEAR » Ursack closer to being allowed in Yosemite?
February 28, 10:02am

Re: I Like Using a Bivy
"Maybe we need to use a new term, "bivy" for the standard waterproof bivy that people seem to not like at BPL and use "UL bivy" for the ultralite, water resistant, highly b...

In GEAR » Why even use a bivy?
February 28, 8:22am

Starbucks VIA
If you are Backpacking I don't know how you have any other approach than Starbucks VIA. It has great flavor and ultralight. The only downside is the cost. Nescafe anyone? :)

In GEAR » K Cups
February 28, 8:13am

Re: Ursack
"Has it really been that mis-handled, though? When you look in detail, there are a pretty incredible number of reports of the Ursack being breached. I own one, but would never tie it at ground...

In GEAR » Ursack closer to being allowed in Yosemite?
February 28, 7:56am

Re: gear list
Sounds just like a lot of thin layers and not much insulation. Agree with Walter. You were simply under insulated while stopped and not moving. You should have a parka that you can put on over a...

In Philosophy & Technique » i was cold...
February 27, 12:55pm

Sold to David
Sold. Email came just before your post Andrew. Sorry about that

In Gear Swap » FS: Backcountry Boiler II
February 26, 1:10pm

FS: Backcountry Boiler II
Sale cancelled. Still available

February 26, 1:03pm

SOLD: FS: Backcountry Boiler II
Sold

February 26, 12:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm