Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 521 - 530 of 557 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: toilet paper?
Nowhere in Mike's article (Toilet Paper Free Expeditions) does he mention wiping with fingers/hand. He talks about using found materials to wipe with. He discusses cleaning your rear using your...

In Gear Lists » I did it! 5 lb Base Wt
December 07, 6:32pm

Re: Re: toilet Paper Free Expeditions
Mike's article has an illustration of the technique. Conveys all of the information. No hose needed...

In Gear Lists » I did it! 5 lb Base Wt
December 07, 2:44pm

Re: Backpacking Bucket List
I'd have to say that Roper's Sierra High Route is on my list, but I'm still planning my big trips for 2009: 1 - 2 week Appalachian trail section hike 2 - Maroon Bells 4 pass loop

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpakcing Bucket List
December 06, 3:49pm

Re: "meadow blasters"
Brings back memories of approaching Galehead hut in the White Mtns to the sound of the Spinners coming from the hut crew's portable tape player (No mp3 players in 1980). It was more amusing tha...

In Philosophy & Technique » Music and Backpacking
December 06, 10:35am

Re: Concerns with breathable shoes
>>a) won't the breathability factor be bad when it comes to blocking cold wind Gore-Tex socks should handle that >>b) won't your shoes become blocks of ice Trailrunners don...

In GEAR » Poll:Gore-tex or non-Gore-tex shoes in winter
December 06, 10:06am

Re: Guadalupe trip report Evil among us.
Great story -- I need to make trip out there before it gets too hot. How long was the drive from the Houston area?

In Gear Lists » Newbie Guadalupe peak Tarp\bivy or Tent
December 05, 6:30pm

Re: Re:VOTE: Snakebite Kit (Take it / Leave it)
My understanding is that pressure wrap/immobilization described in that link is only for use on snake bites from certain species of snakes. You would not use that treatment on a rattlesnake bite in...

In GEAR » VOTE: Snakebite Kit (Take it / Leave it)
December 02, 3:37pm

Re: Starting Over - Selling Gear, eBay Advice
>>Based on the description of my gear in the first post, what do you think is a reasonable asking price for each item? I'm not saying I'm going to sell it all tomorrow, just wanting t...

In GEAR » Starting Over
November 30, 2:54pm

Re: Starting Over
Nick: Before you buy any new gear, plan some backcountry trips you want to go on. Answer the questions where, when, how long, and how far. Use the answers to those questions to guide your gear c...

In GEAR » Starting Over
November 30, 1:16pm

Re: Re : Surviving the cold without tent or sleeping bag
Dougal Haston's and Doug Scott's story is told in "Everest the Hard Way". After descending from the summit, they spent the night in a snow/ice cave that they dug with ice axes. On...

In Philosophy & Technique » Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag
November 26, 6:28am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm