Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 521 - 530 of 563 | Page: 1 ...38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

Forum » Thread

Side Burner Cat Can Stove
The stove above doesn't look like the "Sgt Rock" cat can stove. Is there directions somewhere on how it's made ? Thanks.

In GEAR » JetBoil pot vs Normal pot using an alcohol stove
February 03, 3:34pm

Tent Bottom Durability
I've used a 70Denier Sierra Designs tent for about 75-125 nights without any noticeable wear in the Adirondacks and Ranier areas. ie: No footprint is needed in forested areas. However, in ro...

In GEAR » Floor Saver
January 31, 12:45pm

Hi Vent on Mids versus Zipper Stress
I'd imagine that adding another "zipper buckle strap" (like the one at the bottom of the door) about 18" from the top of the zipper would take the stress off the zipper if a door...

In GEAR » zipper question
January 31, 12:26pm

What's Best Synthetic Insulation ?
I found some info about why BPL used Polarguard Delta instead of Primaloft Sport in the Cacoon jackets - but I found other info (on Thru-Hiker & Ray Jardine's site) showing how Climashield ...

In GEAR » What's Best Synthetic Insulation ?
January 30, 10:53am

Re: Re: bivy & tarp vs. tent
Jim, Your weight comparison seems to hinge on getting double use from your poncho tarp. Having to remove your rain gear to set up your shelter when it's already raing is a drag, and it also m...

In GEAR » bivy & tarp vs. tent
January 25, 7:17pm

Chest Strap "Girth"
I think they mean that the insulated part of the quilt will wrap around a 55" cylinder and have the ends of the quilt touch each other. With the chest strap clipped together, but fully loosen...

In GEAR » Ray-Way Quilt
January 24, 6:49am

Pliers, can opener, screwdriver useful ?
Can anyone verify whether pliers are needed to fix a broken zipper (I've never had a zipper break either, but now I'm taking kids backpacking), whether the can opener comes in handy when yo...

In GEAR » Multi-tool uses
January 23, 5:28pm

Multi-tool uses
Someone told me that I should take pliers on long hikes because they are needed to squeeze zipper sliders that get loosened by kids pulling on them when they get snagged (I have an 8 and 10 year ol...

In GEAR » Multi-tool uses
January 23, 9:36am

Ray-Way Quilt
I'm thinking of making a Ray-Way quilts, but am wondering if down might be the way to go despite the extra trouble and expense... Can someone whose used the Ray-Way quilts and also down quilts...

In GEAR » Ray-Way Quilt
January 22, 12:39pm

Bag as Quilt
I tried using a couple of different mummy bags on different nights (approximately 10 times total) as quilts during the Maryland shoulder seasons (30-40 degree weather). In each case, I was quite s...

In GEAR » When a Bag is Better than a Quilt
January 20, 4:00pm

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm