Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John G (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY
About Me John G has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John G

Showing 521 - 530 of 617 | Page: 1 ...43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62

Forum » Thread

Down in Humid Rainy Weather
During the rainy season here in the mid-atlantic, we'll often have continuous light rain with 95-110% humidity for 4-5 days at a time. For instance, the weather forecast for this weekend is fo...

In GEAR » Is humidity/fog enough to completely collapse down loft?
April 09, 5:56pm

Suitability of Single Wall Shelter or Tarp
The weather forecast for my area this weekend has a dewpoint that is only 2-5 degrees (F) above the actual temperature. Also, the winds are forecasted to be light (10-15 mph with 20-25 mph gusts),...

In GEAR » Suitability of Single Wall Shelter or Tarp
April 09, 12:23pm

Down CLO loss when damp
Wow ! With only 5% moisture, a down bag loses 25% of it's warmth. With 10% it loses 45% and 15% it loses 60%. I didn't realize the CLO loss was that severe at low moisture levels - or ...

April 09, 8:47am

Equipped to Survive Website
I'm been reading Doug Ritter's work for several years. In general, Doug is recognized as one of the leading experts in the aircraft survival industry. I've always found his opinions t...

In GEAR » Signal Mirror - Lifesaver or BS?
April 07, 8:25am

Loft
Just because the down quilt looses loft and then becomes the same thickness as the synthetic quilt doesn't mean they will be the same warmth. If I understand correctly, the synthetic will be w...

April 06, 7:22pm

Re: Re: Re: Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
I'm confused. Wouldn't higher density with less loft be just like a bag that hasn't fluffed up yet ? Doesn't letting the down bag fluff up make it warmer ? Please enlighten us ...

In GEAR » Fill weight and temp rating: Western Mountaineering vs. Montbell UL SS
April 05, 6:22pm

Mirror
I mostly hike in the Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania area - so the trees pretty much prevent using a signal mirror unless you first climb to the top of one mountain ridges and find a cliff / overl...

In GEAR » Signal Mirror - Lifesaver or BS?
April 04, 9:02pm

EOS mod
I'd be interested. Please post the details about which parts to get (& where) and how to do the mod itself. Thanks.

In GEAR » Headlamp solution - EOS modified!
April 04, 8:17pm

CLO Values
Delta is a little colder than XP, but still good stuff. (The BPL quilts were designed before XP was available). Here are some CLO values posted by Richard Nisley in another thread last month. (...

In GEAR » Quilt Question
April 02, 8:41am

Quilt Girth
I also experimented with quilt widths and found my ideal measurements worked out pretty close to Mark's formula. I have a 53" girth around the chest and arms, sleep on my side, and roll...

In GEAR » Thinking quilt
April 01, 6:01pm

All Reader Reviews by John G

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm