BPL Community Profile

John Gilbert (JohnG10) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Mid-Atlantic
About Me John Gilbert has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Gilbert

Showing 521 - 530 of 540 | Page: 1 ...35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Forum » Thread

Wall condensation
I'm thinking of adding a 12-16" wall of silnylon between the mesh and floor of the typical tarptent. I'm hoping it will cut down on wind blowing onto the people sleeping - and add som...

In GEAR » Wall condensation
January 09, 6:00pm

Liquid Fuel Stove Startup
On my MSR Wisperlite, the trick is to just let a tiny bit of fuel into the priming cup. I open the valve, hear the hiss indicating fuel is flowing for about 3 seconds, shut the valve and light. T...

In GEAR » MSR Simmerlite Non-Hair Removing Techniques
January 09, 5:08pm

Why pitch tent in forest
It's not because the trees use moisture from the soil. Pitching you tent in the forest is better because: 1. A field has vegitation that supplies extra moisture at night. 2. The leaves on ...

In GEAR » A floor in a tent/condensation
January 07, 6:22pm

Condensation prone wall design ????
The picture didn't post well. It seems that all the spaces were removed... Here's another try:

In Make Your Own Gear » Condensation prone wall design ????
January 07, 6:28am

The walls will hang straight down, but not from the edge. The walls will attach to the tarp 12-16" inboard from the edge so that the roof sticks out past the walls about 12" horizontally...

January 07, 6:21am

I'm thinking of making a tarp tent that essentially looks like an old fashioned canvas wall tent. The tarp will be pitched A-frame as high as my trekking poles go and the walls will attach...

January 06, 7:30pm

Re: Re: Natural Firesteel Tinders
I've heard that, but I think it's mainly to keep the striker from accidentally hitting and scattering the pile of tinder. I only do it that way when using magnesium dust shaved from the bl...

In GEAR » Firesteel vs. Natural Tinder
December 21, 8:46am

Re: Pitching large tarp with cross over storm guys
I suspect the "storm guys" (which run from the poles across the sides of the tarp to form a diagonal "X" pattern) on Scout patrol tents are to compensate for the relatively shor...

In GEAR » Large Tarp Setup?
December 21, 7:42am

Natural Firesteel Tinders
I've been able to use the firesteel from the side of a magneesium block (3/16" x 3" with 2" of useable rod beyond the handle) to light dry meadow grass, crumpled birch bark and a...

December 21, 7:04am

Firesteel vs. Natural Tinder
Given the increasing popularity of hte Bush Buddy woodstove, I'm wondering how critical the tindertabs are. The British bushcrafter's seem to be able to make fire using a firesteel and nat...

December 20, 1:29pm

All Reader Reviews by John Gilbert

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Wenger Esquire
I was looking for something a little bigger than my Victorinox Classic (2.25") knife. The Wenger Esquire has essentially the same tools, but is 1/3 of an inch longer, about 3/32" wider and ...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 07, 7:05pm