BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5191 - 5200 of 5468 | Page: 1 ...511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 ...547

Forum » Thread

Re: Beginner Backpack
Since you are just starting, start out light. You can get a Gossamer Gear Murmur for $80 or The North Face Rucksack for $35. Inexpensive running shoes for under $50. You can make a stove yourself f...

In GEAR » Beginner Backpack
May 19, 10:50am

Re: GPS in trouble
Another reason to learn how to get along without technology in the backcountry.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » GPS in trouble
May 19, 10:41am

Re: Frogg Toggs
I have a pair of DriDucks, pretty much the same thing. As mentioned, not sturdy for bushwacking and sizes run BIG. Excellent product for the price. However, if you can't use them in brush, t...

In GEAR » Frogg Toggs
May 19, 10:36am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
"I cheerfully make exception for those who find that poles are useful for bad knees on downhills - no argument there." Ah... but in a race you want/need to run downhill. Maintain your ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
May 18, 9:26pm

Re: running with poles
Lets see, 100 km = 62 miles over here in la, la land. 62 miles on mountain trails... no one is going to 'run' of all it. Typically it is a hike up the big hills, and like many hiker...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
May 18, 7:09pm

fivefingers
I think these are the 'cat's meow.' But most people have to go slow with these. I am fortunate because I usually am barefooted around the house and flip flops are my main shoe 90% of th...

In GEAR » Good article on running footwear
May 18, 7:00pm

Re: Narrow Feet
It does seem that racing flats are narrower. But keep in mind that people who race in these do not wear socks, or they wear very thin socks. Plus most long distance runners look anemic :) plus peop...

May 18, 6:45pm

Re: Re: Good article on running footwear
Greg, I have. The lightest shoe is the X-Talon 212 at 7.5 oz. I actually am planning on trying on a pair of these today.

May 18, 12:14pm

Re: Re: Good article on running footwear
Weights are for each shoe (usually a US size 9). Some are mesh and some are mesh with thin insulation (keeps more crap out of shoe). Look for the ones without spikes or spike plates. Nike Zoom F...

May 18, 11:02am

Re: Good article on running footwear
Lydiard is generally recognized as the all time best middle to long distance coach in history. Even those today who disagree with Lydiard's methods usually accept his system with some minor mod...

May 18, 10:09am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am