Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5161 - 5170 of 6891 | Page: 1 ...508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 ...690

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: ID eVent Thru Hiker is tops
"Now we will have to wait 3 more months and suffer through 18 new threads finding Ben the right jacket!;)" Nah, I waited until I knew was going for it. ;}

In GEAR » Marmot Mica - How Breathable Is It?
March 24, 8:57pm

Re: Re: ID eVent Thru Hiker is tops
"OK, I'm going to stick with eVENT. I'll try the lighter option (ID rain jacket) and if it fits, I'll call it good" I don't think you'll regret it, Ben. It's a...

In GEAR » Marmot Mica - How Breathable Is It?
March 24, 8:41pm

Re: Re: pizo igniter at altitude
"FWIW I've never owned a piezo lighter that works much above 6k or 7k feet, and have given up on them completely." +1

In Editor's Roundtable » Soto OD-1R Canister Stove Product Review
March 24, 5:40pm

Re: Timothy Treadwells Advice
"People should stay 100 yards away from bears at all times." Now if young Timothy had just followed his own advice....

In Philosophy & Technique » Grizzly Bear safety precautions?
March 24, 5:39pm

Re: Last shoe thread,PROMISE! Montrail Jawbone
"I appreciate any input or experiences." This looks like a worthy successor to the old Namche. I'd say go for it if this turns out to be true. The Namche was a great shoe.

In GEAR » Last shoe thread,PROMISE! Montrail Jawbone
March 24, 5:33pm

Re: Re: multivitamin
"Read the label and keep in mind you ideally would get 5-4 times more potassium in your diet than sodium, or equal amounts at the very least." A technique I have used for years when hi...

In GEAR » Base Weight Vs. Consumables Discussion
March 24, 5:27pm

Re: Re: use of body fat @ Chris
"This assumes you run a decent surplus of body fat. I have ~10 lbs of fat on my 145 lb frame, which means I can afford to lose maybe 3 lbs before I start depleting required fat and put myself ...

March 24, 5:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"science debate aside,I have to wonder how much personality plays into this as well." Personality plays a huge role, Brian, for good and for ill. It can take you to new heights of ach...

In Philosophy & Technique » High Speed Backpacking - why
March 23, 8:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"My understanding is that the low-intensity work is actually a very important part of aerobic training -- the base building -- and that in the end a balanced program such as I mentioned (mainl...

In Philosophy & Technique » High Speed Backpacking - why
March 23, 8:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Endurance fuel
"I have traditionally carried a high fat diet and have experienced "hitting the wall" on some of the 12k passes. Higher ratio of carbs?" Greg, I would say definitely. Goi...

March 23, 6:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm