BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5161 - 5170 of 5643 | Page: 1 ...508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 ...565

Forum » Thread

Re: Complex carb dense snacks
Hi Huzefa, I'm thinking of things you should be able to find locally, since most of what we use here would be difficult to obtain. I'm thinking of laddoos, dhokla, bati(as in the dahl bat...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Complex carb dense snacks
September 01, 6:29pm

Re: Long Sleeve Shirt for Hot and Humid weather
Like Christopher I use a Patagonia Capilene 1 LS shirt. I would skip the tight weave shirts, which are less breathable, and go for breathability. You can always use permethrin if bugs are a concern.

In GEAR » Long Sleeve Shirt for Hot and Humid weather
August 31, 6:22pm

Re: Going up is hard, going down hurts
Hi Christopher, Have you considered the Titanium Gaot Adjustable Goat poles? They weigh 3.5 oz/each, collapse to 30", and are up to anything you are likely to use them for, unless you are a ...

In GEAR » Going up is hard, going down hurts
August 30, 7:27pm

Re: USGS Map Locator
Works like a charm, Sam. Many thanks. Tom

In Philosophy & Technique » USGS Map Locator
August 30, 1:06pm

Re: I appreciate everyones help
Godspeed, Christopher. Family and friends first last and always. The mountains will still be there and, hopefully, most of us in the event you restart the thread. Tom

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Seattle/Tacoma
August 30, 1:05pm

Re: Re: Re: USGS Map Locator for free topo maps
John, I'm puzzled then, because I'm on Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and use Internet Explorer. Go figure. My darker angels say it's Homeland Security...Now I'm getting paranoid...

August 29, 8:14pm

Re: USGS Map Locator for free topo maps
Hi John, I just tried to access the USGS store and got a Code 403 Access Denied(You do not have access to this resource) message. Any ideas, or maybe I'm on the cyber equivalent of the "...

August 29, 6:05pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: A question for the Doc's
John and Kevin, Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm experiencing the placebo effect, or maybe it's just my individual physiology at work. Either way, I'm enjoying the journey and the litt...

In Editor's Roundtable » Done in a Day
August 28, 6:13pm

Re: Re: Training for altitude
Hi Allison, A good way to minimize your chances of having problems with altitude is to arrive a few days early and gradually acclimatize. There are several campsites down in the Owens Valley at ~...

In Philosophy & Technique » Training for altitude
August 28, 5:58pm

Re: Re: A question for the Doc's
Kevin, A follow up question: Are they eliminated via the kidneys in any significant amount? For years I experienced muscle cramps while engaged in distance running, alpine climbing, and backpack...

In Editor's Roundtable » Done in a Day
August 27, 5:18pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm