BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5161 - 5170 of 5627 | Page: 1 ...508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 ...563

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Rights?
Allison, Sorry if I caused you to choke on your coffee. I'm very pessimistic, myself, having studied the "mess" for 4 years and then lived in "messville"(Baghdad and Tehra...

In Chaff » Does anyone actually think that industrial civilization is sustainable?
August 06, 5:17pm

Gardiner Basin
I'm curious why Gardiner Basin doesn't come up in discussions of the Rae Lakes Loop. It's right there, just west of 60 Lakes Basin and would make a very nice 1-2 day addition to the lo...

In GEAR » First timer doing Rae Lakes Loop in Kings Canyon
August 06, 5:05pm

Re: Re Boring
Mike, tell me it ain't so! You've kicked the habit? The Forum has lost a distinguished member. :-(

In Chaff » Does anyone actually think that industrial civilization is sustainable?
August 06, 4:57pm

Re: Boring
Walking is for people who can't handle chaff, to paraphrase ol' Timothy Leary. Actually I am geographically blessed with a living situation where I can leave at 6 AM for a mountain hike wi...

August 06, 4:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Bugs
"The bugs are at high point right now. How do I know this?" The bugs may well be at, or near, high point where you hiked, Sarah, but not necessarily elsewhere in the Cascades. How do...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Seattle/Tacoma
August 06, 4:27pm

Re: Re: Cheers!
"Would you be interested in buying the Brooklyn Bridge very cheaply?" I saw him first Roger! Besides, my bridge is prettier than yours. I've got a special running through the end o...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Energy Drink vs. Coffee
August 05, 5:12pm

Re: pulse oximeters and altitude acclimatization
Chris, I suspect you might be able to derive a partial answer by analyzing some of the data provided by a pulse oximeter. I'll also bet you could get a better informed answer to your question...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » pulse oximeters and altitude acclimatization
August 05, 5:08pm

Re: Rights?
"And of course the US propping up of Israel doesn't win the West many friends in the Arab world." Nope, but a few more years of US blood and treasure seeping into the desert sands an...

August 05, 4:49pm

Bear activity-Kern Canyon
I'm headed for the Kern Kaweah drainage next week and am interested in any info on bear activity/incidents in the area, especially around Junction Meadow.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear activity-Kern Canyon
August 04, 6:46pm

Re: Re: Rights?
Rog, Interesting that you should mention Falluja. Our military managed to bury that one pretty deeply, at least as far as the US public is concerned. Only trouble is, an Italian TV crew snuck in...

August 04, 6:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm