Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5161 - 5170 of 6225 | Page: 1 ...508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 ...623

Forum » Thread

Re: Avalanche
"Very lucky guy, everybody that goes into the backcountry in winter should watch that, it will make you think twice about taking chances." For a riveting double feature, pair this one ...

In Winter Hiking » Avalanche
September 27, 5:52pm

Re: thanks
"If I do a test run too soon, I'm hosed." Wow. That's one tough nut to crack. "and then 2400mg/day of ibu? i'll check with my doc and see... sheesh - that's Rx s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Recover from a bruised heel
September 27, 5:44pm

Re: Rotten log range
"Goodness! You're asking about over 5 decades of encounters" Stephen, I didn't mean to put you on the spot; sorry. You info answered my question just fine. The zones you m...

In Philosophy & Technique » ultralight minimalism and scorpions
September 27, 5:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Done
"Frankly, I'm shocked that it hasn't already happened." I think we bored 'em to death long ago. This was pretty much a two man show. And now, it's time for me to ge...

In Chaff » Hiking went wrong in Iraq
September 27, 8:15am

Re: Re: Hiking went wrong in Iraq
"But either way a more pointless debate I've not read in a long time. Even the Carbon Flame War seems to be reaching for something" Actually, Miguel, I was reaching for something, ...

September 27, 8:09am

Re: Done
"Because I'm truly getting frustrated with the "what they did" vs "why they did it" thing. I feel like I'm not communicating my point, which is annoying." I...

September 26, 10:48pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seymour Hersh
"They weren't trying to protect their threatened borders- they had years to do that- they wanted a propaganda show." We've been over this one several times. My stated opinion ...

September 26, 10:03pm

Re: RocLite 288 Boot
"Those are brand new. Just released a couple of weeks ago." Thanks, Chris

In Gear Deals » Inov-8 shoes on clearance
September 26, 9:05pm

Re: Scorpions and rotten logs
"I've frequently found scorpions in the Sierras in or around rotten logs. Seems like the logs attract just the right bugs for them to eat." Stephen, What part of the Sierra and ...

In Philosophy & Technique » ultralight minimalism and scorpions
September 26, 6:58pm

Re: Recover from a bruised heel
Kier, You might want to load up your pack to trip weight and do some shorter walks on hills now, just to see how your heel tolerates the impact. Maybe build up to 12-13 miles over 2-3 weeks. T...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Recover from a bruised heel
September 26, 6:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm