BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5161 - 5170 of 5996 | Page: 1 ...508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 ...600

Forum » Thread

Re: 7-10 days of food in Weekender
Hi Rick, Would you be willing to post your food list? I'm working along the same lines as you apparently are, and I'm always interested to learn what other folks have come up with. M...

In GEAR » Bearikade Weekender: Which ULA pack
May 25, 3:07pm

Re: nuun content
"Great product." Yes, but very pricey.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trail Days - Damascus, VA May, 15-17
May 25, 2:44pm

Re: Re: Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
"For that matter, how did ANYone survive in the days before trekking poles were invented?" Probably the same way people survived before cars, airplanes, refrigerators, washing machines...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
May 23, 5:36pm

Re: Re: Re: fight fire with fire, anyone?
"He is a conservative. And again... he is just an entertainer. But many people take him much too seriously. :)" Yeah, especially when they vote.

In Chaff » Guns in parks?.... maybe soon!
May 20, 5:41pm

Re: Kenya
"The rate of fatal firearm accidents per 100,000 people is 0.27 nationwide." What about the fatalities that aren't accidents??

May 20, 5:38pm

Re: Guns in Parks
"lets worry about Mosquito protection instead." That's what the guns are for, Jay.

May 19, 6:18pm

Re: scare 'em
"so what's the lightest .50 caliber weapon out there? anyone make a carbon fiber upgrade?" The Black Diamond "Flintlock" trekking poles have a bore of ~.50 cal. How...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Black Bear outside the tent strategy question
May 19, 5:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
"Ah... but in a race you want/need to run downhill. Maintain your pace/place on the uphills, increase speed and pass people on the downhill. Let gravity do the work. Experienced runners make u...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
May 18, 9:34pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
"But everyone keep telling how trekking poles add propulsion? If highly competitive runners don't get any advantage from them, why should walkers?" Hi Roger, I think running an...

May 18, 9:25pm

Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on ULA
I also heartily recommend the Ohm. I've been putting it through its paces for about 2 months now in the Cascades under all sorts of conditions on hikes up to 13 miles/4000' of elevation ga...

In GEAR » Looking for a new pack
May 18, 5:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm