BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5161 - 5170 of 5958 | Page: 1 ...508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 ...596

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Energy vs bulk
"I wonder about that ... there is certainly lots of room for variety, but the basic underlying weight data is pretty constant -- carbs are a fixed number of calories per ounce, as are fats and...

In GEAR » Carrying Your Sh*t
April 23, 2:14pm

Re: Re: "Let's talk about the whiz freedom"
"LOL LOL LOL. Who's the truest SUL man ???" The silence is deafening.....

In GEAR » Let's talk about the whiz freedom
April 23, 12:36pm

Re: Oh yah
"The stereotype is definitely that outdorsy men are, uh, SINGLE....Nerdy, antisocial, you name it. You know, the type who troll forums online and obsessively weigh their gear and make spreadsh...

In Chaff » Apparently, my local gear shop is a great place to meet straight, single men
April 22, 5:43pm

Re: Re: Energy vs bulk
"Still, food weight is by far the heaviest initial pack weight" "so I am surprised it is not discussed with more frequency and scrutiny around here." Hi John, I totally a...

April 22, 5:38pm

Re: being a guy
"but after reading this thread it makes me glad to have the "whiz freedom" already ummm... handled without any extra weight" I dunno, Ben. My guess is 999 times out of 1000 ...

April 22, 5:22pm

Mountaineering chicks will love it
This little gadget sounds like just the ticket for women mountaineers. No more squatting in a blizzard or stumbling into the night to take a whiz. Now they can do it standing up and use pee bottl...

April 22, 5:12pm

Re: What do you use to start your fire/stove?
You're right on about the Bic being simple. It's also light and reliable. I've been using them for many years and have yet to see anything better. I carry matches and a very light spa...

In GEAR » What do you use to start your fire/stove?
April 20, 6:38pm

Re: Carrying Your Sh*t
Drew, How many days will you be hiking? Quantity is an important variable.

April 20, 4:34pm

Re: Perpetuem
"I would think ziplocs and some sort of cardboard funnel would work fine with a wide mouth bottle." Hi Zack, Another way is to clip a small section off one corner of the zip lock bag ...

In Post-Trip Reports » John Muir Trail fastpack
April 19, 6:05pm

Re: Hiking related Tatoo's
"So....anyone out there keen or mad enough to have a hiking related tatoo? Care to share some pics or ideas?" Step on a hornets' nest. Infinite selection of patterns and they&#...

In Chaff » Hiking related Tatoo's
April 18, 5:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm