BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5161 - 5170 of 6009 | Page: 1 ...508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 ...601

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
"That pretty much says it all. The difference between a thru-hike and a high intensity day hike are vast. On the day hike, the opportunity to gain strength and muscle are quite good if the int...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
May 28, 9:09pm

The gold standard
Outstanding review, Will! IMO, this should be the standard by which all reviews are judged. Everything necessary to make an informed decision, including a concise comparison with similar products...

In Editor's Roundtable » Terra Nova Laser Photon Tent Review
May 27, 6:35pm

Re: Re: Alcohol burning gives me a sinus headache
"We don't have this problem in Australia and the UK - we have health regulations which prevent it." How true. Unfortunately, here in the USA, health concerns come a distant second...

In GEAR » Alcohol burning gives me a sinus headache
May 27, 6:25pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
"Poling high rep, day after day, for months on end, is a very sport specific exercise which I can't see much potential for cross-over applications, even in mountaineering. Poling works a v...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
May 27, 6:17pm

Re: btw: i've seen rattlers over 7000ft
The rangers in the Owens Valley will tell you that they can be found as high as 8,000'. But very seldom. I have been on the Shepherd Pass trail over 40 times and have yet to see a rattler, ev...

In Post-Trip Reports » What kind of snake?
May 26, 10:19pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
"As an avid ex-climber, I know I spent a lot of time in the gym and at the wall working on pure strength...a lot more time than I spent on endurance activity. The strength to weight ratio come...

May 26, 9:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
"Maybe so, but that's not what the OP was wanting to know. If you are into a variety of sports, then a balance between muscle strength and endurance is my ideal. That requires all of the t...

May 26, 5:40pm

Re: Re: beast in the garden - good book
"a mountain lion jumped in front of my car around 10:00 PM or so. Just a flash in the headlights, but a very big and very lethal looking flash. Glad I was going 65 mph at the time." No...

In Chaff » Guns in parks?.... maybe soon!
May 26, 4:41pm

Re: Beast in the Garden
"Weapons may be appropriate even in near urban park settings when things progress this out of hand with wildlife." Nah, Dave. Just take your cat along when you hike. No cougar(or b...

In Chaff » Guns in parks?.... maybe soon!
May 26, 1:49pm

Re: 9 day meal list in Weekender canister
Rick, Many thanks for going to the trouble of posting this. Lots of work, but much appreciated. Some interesting data to ponder. Tom

In GEAR » Bearikade Weekender: Which ULA pack
May 26, 1:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm