BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5151 - 5160 of 5440 | Page: 1 ...507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 ...544

Forum » Thread

Re: Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
Okay, I am not an expert. However, hiking long distances is going to build muscle tone, and more importantly the cardio system. As for using trekking poles, I would say it would improve muscle tone...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do hiking poles build upper body muscle?
May 25, 8:37pm

Re: life is pain - anyone who tells you different
Cary, Get better soon. Sounds like my gall bladder symptoms a few years ago. I just ignored it until the pain finally became excruciating. Didn't know what was wrong, and my wife rushed ...

In Chaff » life is pain - anyone who tells you different
May 25, 8:28pm

Re: more water carrying capacity
I deal with infrequent water sources all the time. Water is the heaviest thing you can carry. Perhaps a better methodolgy would be to eat dinner near the water source. Then you only need to carry a...

In Gear Lists » Early Spring AT Gear list
May 25, 8:16pm

Re: Re: Q About Nunatak Weights
John, "After trying the quilt I bought from you, I decided to get one from Nunatak. After speaking with Tom, I felt very comfortable in ordering. He told me upfront that it would be...

In GEAR » Question About Nunatak Weights
May 21, 8:33pm

Re: Rattlesnake avoidance classes for dogs
"I wanted to try it on the children, but the wife said no." LOL.

In Philosophy & Technique » Rattlesnake avoidance classes for dogs
May 21, 10:16am

Re: Aborted Thru Hike - Feeling Crushed
Dan, Don't beat yourself up. Smart people know when to bail. Just re-evaluate the trip as a learning experience. Perhaps you took on too much with not enough pre-conditioning. There will be ...

In Chaff » Aborted Thru Hike - Feeling Crushed
May 20, 9:43pm

Asics Piranha SP
I saw these and just had to have them. Size 5.3 oz on my scale. Size 9 stated at 4.8 oz. Incredibly light you think you are not wearing shoes at all. Going to test them on a 60 mile hike this we...

In GEAR » Good article on running footwear
May 20, 5:47pm

Re: Re: fight fire with fire, anyone?
Depends on who Ruch Limbaugh is and why he might be of interest. Never heard of him before... Lynn, He is an entertainer; a radio talk show host (largest audience in the U.S.) He is a conse...

In Chaff » Guns in parks?.... maybe soon!
May 20, 5:36pm

Re: not again.
"please. it's been done to death (pun intended) already, very recently. actually, done to death TWICE. please not again." I know... folks think they can change the point of...

In Chaff » Guns in parks?.... maybe soon!
May 20, 12:26am

Re: Re: Re: Anybody interested in my older -40dF down bag ?
You have to read the comment a second time. He is actually stating that the bag is a good deal, based on the two 0F bags he owned.

In Gear Swap » Anybody interested in my older -40dF down bag ??
May 19, 7:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am