BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5131 - 5140 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: Enclosed Tarp for a Tall Guy
Ryan, I think you have the perfect set up, which is what I use. And you hit upon the versatility factor. Eric, You do not have to put a pad inside a bivy, it can be used on the bottom. M...

In GEAR » Enclosed Tarp for a Tall Guy
April 17, 10:49am

Re: When Baseball and Backpacking Collide
Hey Ken, We already went through this a couple weeks ago :) http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20013&skip_to_post=158831 ...

In Chaff » When Baseball and Backpacking Collide
April 16, 11:56pm

Re: Enclosed Tarp for a Tall Guy
Eric, I have a Wild Oasis, and it definitely will be too small for you, unless maybe you pitch as high as possible. Question -- why do you want an enclosed shelter?

In GEAR » Enclosed Tarp for a Tall Guy
April 16, 11:49pm

Re: work
Dan stated, "You've just listed a whole pile of "multi-use" stuff I don't need." To each their own, I guess. Even though I am an 'old timer' my life is pr...

In Multiple Use Gear » A case for smartphones on the trail.
April 16, 11:44pm

Re: re: Tent stakes in
John, I bought one of those sacks from Zpacks a couple weeks ago. Only .07 oz. I have to go with Joe's weight because by 1/10 oz scale registers zero ounces with it. I bought several siz...

In Multiple Use Gear » Tent stakes in ...
April 16, 10:09am

Re: Tent pitching help needed
Another option is to tie the guyline around the middle of the stake, and bury it a couple inches under the sand. The stake will lay flat, perpendicular to the cord. Now place a heavy rock on top of...

In GEAR » Tent pitching help needed
April 16, 10:02am

Re: Re: Dr Bronner's or Baking Soda?
"I use baking soda in a small BPL mini dropper bottle. I can squeeze out a small amount onto my brush and also use the baking soda for other needs if they come up. I can't use Bonners- I ...

In GEAR » Dr Bronner's or Baking Soda?
April 16, 1:25am

Re: The Miniposa is here.
"Thanks again for all the helpful comments. I may well end up with more than one pack before all is said and done. Especially in Arizona where needing to haul water can be an issue" --...

In GEAR » GG Miniposa .. or ...
April 15, 5:01am

Re: RailRider Pants?
Mark, I really like my Mt Hardwear Canyon pants. The only thing I cannot speak to is humidity. Regarding the Eco Mesh pants, they have side zippers to reveal the mesh material (similar to th...

In GEAR » RailRider Pants?
April 14, 12:25am

Re: WHY?
“For me, the begging question right now is reconciling whether or not lightweight backpacking has shaped who I am, or is simply a reflection of who I am or would like to be.” ---------------...

In Philosophy & Technique » WHY?
April 13, 10:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am