BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5131 - 5140 of 5388 | Page: 1 ...505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 ...539

Forum » Thread

Re: Thanks!
"The next hurdle is this: believe it or not, in Florida there is a paucity of hiking/camping gear stores. No REI, no Eastern Mountain or Eragon, etc. So, if I want to try something out for fit...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New Lightweight Convert...
May 12, 11:27pm

Re: Re: Off-trail backpacking
"On a properly selected route, only bad luck will bring you in contact with other hikers, IMO." Which is why such routes should be kept to one's self. :)

In On the Web » Off-trail backpacking
May 12, 11:03pm

Re: 395 and Tioga Pass
It is not uncommon for Tioga Pass to become unpassable due to rock slides, and sometimes the road can be closed for a few days. For this trip, I would go via Fresno. But as a resident, I always...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Limited Time...Yosemite, Joshua Tree, or Both?
May 11, 1:13am

re: J-Tree or Yosemite
I agree with John somewhat. In June I would and head up to the San Jacintos or San Bernadinos. But I think the OP was most interested in hitting either due their unique and famous features... so...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Limited Time...Yosemite, Joshua Tree, or Both?
May 08, 11:28am

Re: yosemite versus joshua tree
Larry makes some good points. I live within an hour of the north and south entrances to JT, which was by design. I hate Yosemite, because of the people and vendors. Best thing for Yosemite woul...

May 07, 7:03pm

Re: Murmur Hipbelt
I removed the hip belt. With SUL weights, there isn't any need for it. I will probably get rid of the sternum strap too, no need for it. For really light loads (bw around 5lbs or less), this ba...

In GEAR » GG Murmur
May 07, 6:53pm

Re: How much hand Sanitizer must be carried?
"At some point before I die, I guess I should get concerned with all this. I can't believe I've made it 50 years without worrying. Kind of shocking that anyone survived the pre-sanitiz...

In GEAR » How much hand Sanitizer must be carried?
May 06, 1:37am

Re: "cleaning a sil tarp?"
Since this material is nylon that is 'impregnated' with silicone, is there any chance that cleaning methods would cause the silicon to separate from the weave?

In GEAR » cleaning a sil tarp?
May 01, 12:55pm

Poncho/Tarp
Poncho (with a cord belt in wind), and now cuben sacks for precious items inside pack.

In GEAR » poncho vs rainsuit and packcover
April 29, 9:51pm

Re: down bag
I like the Tim Allen comment, "But honey, I thought the reason we had kids was because they live longer than dogs." Whenever I repeat this, someone gets huffy. I have kids and a dog, a...

In GEAR » Dog puke in my new down bag
April 28, 11:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am