Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5131 - 5140 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: Gatewood Cape ??'s
Condensation is not necessarily a design flaw, but the nature of single wall tents. Temperature, dew point, and how the shelter is set-up play a part. The most important factor is how it is set up,...

In GEAR » Gatewood Cape ??'s
June 10, 9:40am

Re: Gatewood Cape: Ripoff of the Century
Gosh Ian, that is quite a rant. I am not a tent person. Prefer tarps only when necessary. I bought a Wild Oasis last year, almost identical to the Gatewood. Set it up once in my back yard. T...

In GEAR » Gatewood Cape ??'s
June 09, 8:23pm

Re: Graffiti and Government Bullcrap
Yes Tom, It is the decline of western civilization at an exponential rate.

In Chaff » Graffiti and Government Bullcrap
June 09, 7:51pm

Re: Thorofare Shirt as JMT sun shirt?
I wore mine a few times when temps were under 70F and it was fine. Then I did a trip in late February where the temps hit around 85F at mid day. I had been hiking leisurely for about 2 hours, carry...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Thorofare Shirt as JMT sun shirt?
June 09, 2:08pm

Re: What about pants?
Sid, I have several pairs of Ex Officio pants and all are quality garments. But I have no experience with the Air Strips with mesh panels on the inseams. In theory they sound good. I would have ...

In GEAR » I want Thorofare ZIP OFF Pants
June 09, 10:58am

Re: Balaclava question for Roger Caffin and other cold weather experts
Thank you to everyone. I am going to go forward and order the UL90. Might as well get it now, before they run out of them in the winter.

In GEAR » Balaclava question for Roger Caffin and other cold weather experts
June 09, 10:21am

Re: Graffiti and Government Bullcrap
Craig, This is why I am an advocate to eliminating roads into all National Parks and similar national treasures. We should start with Yosemite and Yellowstone. If you can't hike in, then you...

In Chaff » Graffiti and Government Bullcrap
June 09, 10:14am

Re: What volume pot for 1 person in the winter?
Roger, Over here on our left coast we have dry snow. Much less water per cubic inch so we need bigger pots ;) Our deserts have dry heat too, but more comfortable in the summer than other des...

In Gear Lists » Beginner needs gear list advice on solo PCT section hike
June 09, 12:20am

Re: Re: How do you pack a frameless pack?
Jang-Tian, I apoligize for the improper use of your name. Now you taught me something. The spinnaker material is pretty tough. But not good for abrasive surfaces, such as dragging it across r...

In GEAR » How do you pack a frameless pack?
June 08, 10:44pm

Re: Ex Officio
>> Wow, the ex officio shirts look really nice. They have ones that are 20% poly 80% nylon and ones that are 50% poly and 50% nylon. Not sure which would be better. I'm assuming the 50% p...

In GEAR » I want Thorofare ZIP OFF Pants
June 08, 10:20pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am