Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5061 - 5070 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: Socal Backpackers, Lets Meet Up
Adan, You can add me to the list. I have two trips already planned for December. For next year I would be interested in meeting some BPL members, IF the group is small... say 4 or fewer people.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » SoCal Backpackers Wanted
November 30, 1:29am

GG Polycro
This year I switch from Tyvek to the poly. I was skepitcal at first. But even with primarily desert use it has held up well.

In GEAR » ground cloth preference
November 30, 1:25am

Re: Technology
Yep, we are into the latest BPing technolgoy as it relates to Light. No GPS that I know of weighs less than my compass and topo map(s). The rest is additonal weight I do not need to carry. Le...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
November 30, 1:12am

Re: PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
Been following this thread for a while with interest. I have been hiking solo for several decades without any of these devices. They weren't available when my kids were small. The family wa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
November 27, 11:17pm

Re: Drought in the Superstitions- Help
"I hate catclaw." Me too. Any the side pocket of my GG Murmur hates it even more!! But I hate jumping Cholla even more. It was bad enough when I used leather boots, but with trail r...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Drought in the Superstitions- Help!
November 27, 10:37pm

Water
Travis, If water is normally available, and the location is a critical refill point, then you MUST verify from a reliable source that in fact water is currently available. No verification then n...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Drought in the Superstitions- Help!
November 23, 9:34pm

Re: Beak In
It is just like any sport. If you are always training, then you are ready to go. I do a lot of day hikes with my wife, and 2-3 day solo BPing trips are most often what I do. And since I am therefor...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Typical Trip Length?
November 23, 8:20pm

Re: tarp help
Good insight from Ryan. However a 9' X 7' tarp is going to provide a lot more coverage than the Poncho/Tarp the OP is considering. With a Poncho/Tarp, a bivy makes sense in some situations,...

In GEAR » Tarp and bivy like milk and cookies?
November 11, 12:49am

Re: Glad you like...
"I've discovered that it's somewhat liberating to say that I'm doing this expedition because, in essence, I can and want to." Well said, young man!!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Andrew Skurka's "big" Alaska trek
November 10, 7:12pm

Re: Emergency blanket as tarp?
Several decades ago, I used this type of an emergency shelter. Main issue is securing guylines without tearing the material. I used Visclamps for this. These are rubber balls that are inserted into...

In GEAR » Emergency blanket as tarp?
September 21, 11:33am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am