BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5051 - 5060 of 5388 | Page: 1 ...497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 ...539

Forum » Thread

Re: tent
I usually hike in areas with little precipitation. Also, few bugs most of the time. When there are bugs, they don't bother me much, especially with a little DEET. Been sleeping in the deserts a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why do women prefer a tent?
June 03, 3:21pm

Re: Gatewood Cape Extreme
I have used mine in light snow. Conensation is an issue, and I use a bivy. Best to keep the door slightly opened if possible. This is not a failure of the shelter, but a characteristic of the mater...

In GEAR » Compare SMD Shelters
June 03, 2:44pm

Re: Re: Roger - Re: Summer sleeping... the options?
Thank you, Roger. This thread has been enlightening for me. - Nick

In GEAR » Summer sleeping... the options?
June 03, 2:39pm

Re: Buying gear in "sets".
Well if you can afford it, you are doing your part to stimulate the economy.

In Philosophy & Technique » Buying gear in "sets".
June 03, 10:48am

Re: trt gear list.
Aaron, I agree with Dave on the shelter. MLD Sil Poncho is also my rain gear and shelter. If there is a good change of heavy perciptation, bring a breathable bivy. Even if little or no chance of...

In Gear Lists » TRT Gear List 09
June 03, 10:46am

Re: Vibram FiveFingers
Vibram has several styles. For trail running, the KSO works best. My size 43 weight 13.8 oz for the pair. With the KSO, Vibram recommends using the Injinti toe socks, but I find them not as comfort...

In GEAR » Vibram FiveFingers
June 03, 10:31am

Re: Thanks!
Nate, I was thinking about water again. You will be hiking in high desert, and day time highs are probably going to be around 70F - 80F next week. If it gets closer to 90F, you should probably h...

In Post-Trip Reports » PCT Section B Hike
June 03, 3:04am

Roger - Re: Summer sleeping... the options?
Roger, I really appreciate your input here. Yes I am probably not: - wearing warm enough head wear - definitely not eating enough When I think of the calories I should probably consume, ...

In GEAR » Summer sleeping... the options?
June 03, 2:16am

Re: TRT Gear List 09
Re: Roger Caffin’s statement that he never steps into the wilderness without a compass, neither do I since I have one of those small, spherical compasses on the lanyard I wear around my neck. Itâ...

In Gear Lists » TRT Gear List 09
June 03, 1:42am

Re: Bear Canister
> I find that putting the canister in the pack vertically on top of my sleeping bag, clothes and tarp works best. The Y strap is great but unless you have a lot of stuff in the Mariposa I find i...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus Video Review
June 02, 11:13pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am