Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5051 - 5060 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: unwritten rules
I backpack alone. No buddies is the rule.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Unwritten Rules of Backpacking with Buddies
December 07, 7:45pm

Re: Re: Re: Fishing-best choice?
Tom, Back in the day... you mean the days before back country permits and hordes of people? Like hiking up Whitney with no permit required? Yep. When I was young and had no responsibilities o...

In Philosophy & Technique » UL with a gun?
December 06, 6:01pm

Re: Fishing-best choice?
Tom, Agree on the fishing. Actually in the 1960's (for me) it was possible to make trout a mainstay of your diet in many parts of the Sierras. This is no longer true.

December 06, 10:13am

Last Post on The Subject
To Dean's point, it makes the wife happy... I can't argue that one :) From the little I have read, these devices are not 100% reliable or effective. It depends where you are and under wh...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
December 06, 9:59am

Re: Avalanche Transceivers?
"I am still trying to tease out an earlier poster's claim that "mountaineering" is different from "backpacking" in terms of the un/desirability of carrying a SPOT."...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
December 05, 6:04pm

Re: Re. Re. Re. Re. Guns
Oh no... not again. I think the mere sight of this thread just triggered H1N1 in my body. I am not feeling well now. :) There is no resolution to the debate, so why would we undertake a task ...

December 03, 1:15pm

Re: Off-Trail Lightweight Backpacking Philosophy
Haven't changed. I formulated my belief system and approach to life nearly 40 years ago. I haven't 2nd guessed myself or changed much since then.

In Philosophy & Technique » Off-Trail Lightweight Backpacking Philosophy
December 03, 1:03pm

Re: New to cub scouting- Feeling a bit underwhelmed.
Jim, I feel for you. I started Cub Scouts over 40 years ago. In those days, we had Den Mothers. Fathers led the Boy Scout troops. Scouting was popular, and we would wear our uniforms to school o...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » New to cub scouting- Feeling a bit underwhelmed.
December 02, 11:39am

Re: Re: MLD Reliability
Another satisfied customer here. The OP comment was a little nebulous. If there is a problem, call him as has been mentioned several times.

In GEAR » MLD reliability
December 01, 10:21pm

Re: Merino gear- short sleeves for me.
Jim, It depends on the individual. I wear a BPL merino hoody a lot, and even in the heat of the summer a long sleeve Eco-mesh shirt or similar. One thing about long sleeves... you can roll them up.

In GEAR » Merino gear- short sleeves for me.
November 30, 6:17pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am