BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5041 - 5050 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: Water weight in perspective
Okay, you are hiking with a UL gear. No filter. But most use chemicals or tablets. You get to your water source just in time, and out of water. Oh, oh the instructions say to wait 4 hours before dr...

In Philosophy & Technique » Ray Jardine's Suggestions
June 02, 3:06am

Re: New Platy plusbottle
Hmm... I'll stick with the old style.

In GEAR » New Platy plusbottle
June 02, 2:53am

Re: Maps
I use Topo! and print my own maps. I print them on 'waterproof' paper if percipitation is in the forecast. This way I can cut and paste maps anyway I want (I often paste the map into a Word...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Beginner needs advice on solo PCT section hike
June 02, 2:52am

Re: Re: packweight should vary depending on the goals of the trip
X - Some excellent comments. I guess each hike is different. If you need to carry a lot of water, lets say 4 liters, then you are already > 9lbs of water only. If you are hiking steep rough t...

In Editor's Roundtable » ZPacks Blast 18 Backpack Review
June 02, 2:47am

Re: Summer sleeping... the options?
Joe, When it gets down towards 50, I wear my Montbell Ext Light Down Jacket (6.1 oz). Closer to 60, it becomes my pillow. I do sleep in my hiking clothes. Prior to the UL60, I was using a Mar...

In GEAR » Summer sleeping... the options?
June 02, 2:10am

Re: Best flashlight
I have to go with the Photon II. It is the same weight as that spare AAA battery you folks are carrying. On a long trip I might carry a spare Photon II. I like these things so much, I gave away abo...

In GEAR » Best flashlight
June 02, 1:51am

Re:TRT in July
Aaron, I had put bubble wrap in the shoulder straps, but the night before, took them out and put a sock in each one. Fold each sock and fill the top half of each strap. The socks do catch on the...

In Gear Lists » TRT Gear List 09
June 02, 1:15am

Re: Thanks!
Ouch! That hurts!!

In Post-Trip Reports » PCT Section B Hike
June 01, 7:08pm

Re: Tilley LTM6
I am due for a haircut, and need to cram two fingers too. But I just did a three day hike and wore it for at least 12 hours a day, and forgot it was there, unless the wind picked up. I wear it ...

In GEAR » Simms Solar Sombrero?
June 01, 6:27pm

Re: TRT in July
>> Im still up in the air between the Mumur and the Conduit. I have both and around 15lbs it is a toss up. I just did 60 miles with the Murmur, and it handled 17lbs just fine. I was carryi...

In Gear Lists » TRT Gear List 09
June 01, 6:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am