Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5031 - 5040 of 6208 | Page: 1 ...495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 ...621

Forum » Thread

Re: Polyester-Merino Wool Baselayer Idea
"But first I have to ask... Has someone else already done this? If so, who?" Helly Hansen has a series called Pro Wool. It's a merino wool and polypropylene blend. Pretty warm an...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Polyester-Merino Wool Baselayer Idea
November 03, 9:30pm

Re: PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
"And then there's family. I'm sure my wife would like that I carried something. Simple logic begs the question "Why wouldn't I?" "To each their own." You ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
November 03, 9:23pm

Le Parcour de Wild
5 star EPIC! And, I might add, a very well done report. It conveyed a very real sense of what you guys were up against and how you dealt with the challenges.

In Editor's Roundtable » Le Parcour de Wild Race Report
November 03, 5:17pm

Re: Pretty Funny
"Tough crowd." Revenge of the bald. ;}

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pretty funny..
November 03, 5:01pm

Re: Intergral Designs Primalid vs. Fleece Beanie
"Seems like this could be a winner over my fleece hat if has duel use for hiking and sleeping." It's going to be too warm to hike in, Tony. But great for around camp and as part o...

In GEAR » Intergral Designs Primalid vs. Fleece Beanie
November 02, 9:12pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: 3 Basins and a Bowl along The Great Western Divide
"Tom, you had me thinking of this as my next trip. Just don't know about slogging it over Sheppards" Ken, Don't let it intimidate you. There are lots of campsites down lower,...

In Post-Trip Reports » 3 Basins and a Bowl along The Great Western Divide
November 01, 6:43pm

Re: Re: Sno-Seal Woes
"> new coats of snow seal don't prevent the leather from getting wet. Any ideas why?" Possible entry via seams and then spreading by osmosis through leather, sideways and up to ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sno-Seal Original Beeswax Waterproofing for Leather
November 01, 6:01pm

Re: Re: 3 Basins and a Bowl along The Great Western Divide
"That was one of the best narrations I've read on a trip report here. It sound you you two had a great trip. I especially liked photo "g" with the evening/morning light on the wa...

In Post-Trip Reports » 3 Basins and a Bowl along The Great Western Divide
November 01, 5:56pm

Re: Re: Re : Surviving the cold without tent or sleeping bag
"Dougal Haston and Doug Scott summited Everest, VERY hard men. VERY!" Indeed. Men enough to think nothing of burying their feet in each other's groin to prevent frostbite.

In Philosophy & Technique » Surviving the cold without a tent or a sleeping bag
October 31, 5:57pm

Re: Looking for suggestions Summer 2010
"Any insights/suggestions much appreciated. Cheers, Mike" There is a lot of fine hiking on the PCT from the Canadian border on down to, at least, Snoqualmie Pass that would be a good w...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Looking for suggestions Summer 2010
October 30, 9:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm