BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5031 - 5040 of 6047 | Page: 1 ...495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 ...605

Forum » Thread

Re: Western Mountaineering Summerlite 150 Dollars at Moosejaw
"I just wish I was skinny enough to fit in a Summerlite." You'll find the answers to your problem over on "The Great Nutrition Flame War" thread. In a nutshell, (calorie...

In Gear Deals » Western Mountaineering Summerlite 150 Dollars at Moosejaw
August 18, 5:47pm

Re: It is really just a way of looking at things.
"If you want to sleep leaning against a tree with a 3' x 3' tarp draped over you, great. If you want to save weight by using one side of a piece of TP one day and the other side the ne...

In GEAR » Backpacking Weight Ranks
August 18, 5:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re
"No polyunsaturated fats, no soy" Brian, Why are polyunsaturated fats and soy harmful? Nuts and seeds contain polyunsaturated fats, as do oily fish, e.g. salmon, sardines, etc, a...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 18, 5:02pm

Re: Re: Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee
"My challenge to Java Juice is to counterpunch by introducing a kickbutt French roast (find the hidden mixed metaphor)." To which I would add: Reduce it to crystals. 1/2 oz per packe...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backcountry coffee
August 17, 5:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting
"Calories in, calories out..." Put another way: calories in minus calories metabolized =calories stored, either as adipo...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
August 17, 4:47pm

Re: New to ultralite
"if anyone has a suggestion on what packs to look at for her that would be awesome." Hi Mike, The ULA Circuit is worth a look; Also the Gossamer Gear Gorilla and The Osprey Exos se...

In Gear Lists » New to ultralite
August 16, 5:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WM Shipping status?
"Well, Tom, to the best of my knowledge these bags do not come covered in chocolate, but you may want to contact Moosejaw for greater detail." Nah. If I can get a Summerlite for $190,...

August 16, 5:39pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WM Shipping status?
"Say 20 bags (maybe) @ $180 ea wholesale + shipping to MJ + shipping to customer = Avg $190 ea Selling @ $150 so we'll say an average lose of $40 per bag. $40 by 20 bags is $800 loss...

August 15, 9:34pm

Re: Re: Re: Diminishing Gains
"The lightweight gear is made for one purpose - going fast, light, and long." That is one purpose, Michael, and probably the most common one at that. But I think there is another usef...

In GEAR » Have we hit the point of diminishing gains?
August 15, 3:40pm

Re: Re: Re: JMT Record Pace and Carbs v.s. Fats
"So my main question is at what intensity level can fats be used instead of carbs to cut weight." Art, Fat will be metabolized at any level of exercise up to the anaerobic threshold...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT Record Pace and Carbs v.s. Fats
August 13, 6:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm