BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 5031 - 5040 of 5903 | Page: 1 ...495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 ...591

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Graffiti and Government Bullcrap
"The national parks, after all, have a different mission that the wilderness areas. I think the national parks are MEANT to be accessable to all- even if only parts of them. Thus the crowds at...

In Chaff » Graffiti and Government Bullcrap
June 10, 7:34pm

Re: Trip advice: Summer, West of here!
"Where would the experts recommend? Thanks for your advice." Hi Todd, I'd enthusiastically Amy's recommendation of the Southern Sierra for mid August thru mid(maybe late) Sept...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trip advice: Summer, West of here!
June 10, 7:13pm

Re: Solo Shelter Options
"I'm looking for a lightweight solo shelter - mainly for summer trips - and I'm not really sure where to start. I have the Big Agnes Seedhouse 3, which I've been using for group tr...

In GEAR » Solo Shelter Options
June 10, 6:58pm

Re: Re: Trekking poles - All in the Head?
"Anyway isn't perception 9/10ths of reality?" Maybe, but the other 1/10th, gravity, is the one that really counts. ;)

In Philosophy & Technique » Trekking poles - All in the Head?
June 09, 8:41pm

Re: Re: Graffiti and Government Bullcrap
"It is the decline of western civilization at an exponential rate." Indeed. We go where others have gone before. Of late, I have come to wonder if the Second Law of Thermodynamics appl...

June 09, 8:11pm

Re: Need a lighter backpack
"Are there other internal frame designs worth considering?" I'd highly recommend at least investigating the Ohm or Circuit, depending on your volume and weight requirements. The O...

In GEAR » Need a lighter backpack
June 09, 8:01pm

Re: Re: Graffiti and Government Bullcrap
"This is why I am an advocate to eliminating roads into all National Parks and similar national treasures. We should start with Yosemite and Yellowstone. If you can't hike in, then you don...

June 09, 7:40pm

Re: Re: This picture made me go lightweight
"The way he is carrying his pack ... Yuk! I simply couldn't." And probably shouldn't. Notice the knee brace he is wearing...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » This picture made me go lightweight
June 09, 7:33pm

Re: Trekking poles - All in the Head?
"One group burned more calories with their upper body than the other group. Both groups burned the same amount of calories. Seems like one group might be feeling better because they hav...

June 09, 7:21pm

Re: Trekking poles - All in the Head?
"Who pays for these studies?" The College of Orthopedic Surgeons.

June 09, 7:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm