BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 5011 - 5020 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 ...538

Forum » Thread

Balaclava question for Roger Caffin and other cold weather experts
In a recent thread, there was a lot of discussion about keeping warm in cold weather and the importance of not losing heat from the head. I don't anticipate weather below 20F, and have a WM ...

In GEAR » Balaclava question for Roger Caffin and other cold weather experts
June 08, 1:51pm

Re: FS: Marmot Atom
I have the identical bag, but rarely use it since I have bought a quilt. However it is a really nice piece of equipment for someone looking for a bag in this temperature rating and price.

In Gear Swap » FS: Marmot Atom
June 08, 1:23pm

Re: Hip belts
Good point. I suggest you do your research and then order a couple of packs from manufacturers who will let you return an unused one. GG, ULA, SMD, MLD and others are good about this, unless it is ...

In GEAR » torso length question
June 08, 1:19pm

Re: Re: Reading glasses
I used to carry readers instead of my prescription glasses. I found a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses with a reader bifocal. This is what I use now. The sunglasses are expensive, but the most comfortab...

In GEAR » Reading glasses
June 08, 12:46pm

Re: Beginner needs gear list advice
Matthew, Since you stated that you are new to backpacking, but not the outdoors, you don't want to go too light without experience with some items. UL inferes experience with lightweight gea...

In Gear Lists » Beginner needs gear list advice on solo PCT section hike
June 08, 12:38pm

Re: torso length question
Monty is right about the hip belt on light packs. If I carry only 2L of water and minimum food with my GG Murmur, I take the belt off. If I am carrying more water and food and the total weight gets...

June 08, 12:26pm

Re: Re: MSR Titan Mini Cookset: lid for 1L pot
Dave, You fold the foil and place it inside the pot for travel. Unfold it and use it as a lid for cooking. Wind can blow it away. Foil folded for packing. Foil lid on a Foster can. ...

In GEAR » MSR Titan Mini Cookset: lid for 1L pot
June 08, 12:22pm

Re: re
A proper fitting pack is critical. For UL packs, I like Gossamer Gear and ULA. There are several other oustanding companies. You can get a great pack for under $200. Also, great buys can be found h...

June 08, 11:21am

Re: Re: Sandals
Raphi, Some ultra marathoners just use the five-fingers alone. The ancient mexican runners used Hurraches, because they were limited to that materials were available to make a shoe. When I was i...

In GEAR » Good article on running footwear
June 08, 10:42am

Re: Asics Piranha SP
Matt, This is a tough one!! I have a pair of the old model Asics Hyper Xcs flats. The material is mesh with polyester lining inside of them, so not a breathable as a mesh only shoe. The size 12s...

In GEAR » Good article on running footwear
June 08, 10:35am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am