BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 501 - 510 of 557 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Gros Morraine NP/ Newfoundland, Canada
Do you mean Gros Morne? If so, there is an article in Backpacker Magazine by Laura and Guy Waterman. The article is a bit dated (1977), but it should give you some ideas. Google "guy waterman ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Gros Morraine NP/ Newfoundland, Canada
January 22, 8:11pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lightweight Testimony: Lighter, Farther, Faster
Steve: Great article -- you captured one of the main reasons I (soon to be fifty) lightened my load. That feeling of gliding along the trail is addictive...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Testimony: Lighter, Farther, Faster
January 21, 6:40am

Re: Re: Bigfoot Bagging
When Bigfoot goes to sleep every night, he checks under his bed for Les Stroud...

In Post-Trip Reports » Ugh.. bigfoot.
January 20, 8:44pm

Re: Lightweight Testimony-Jim Sweeney
Will there be a sequel on April 1st?

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting
January 14, 9:04pm

Re: Re: SUL, purely for personal reasons
>>But for many others, I would suspect that learning about these lists and techniques has had some influence...at least in seeing what's possible. Count me as one of those who learns f...

In Philosophy & Technique » XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking?
January 12, 9:07pm

Re: XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking
>>HA! "This guy" is our very own Alan Dixon who co-founded BackpackingLight! I knew that, I figured everyone else did too... Alan's trip was definitely not a survival trip,...

January 12, 11:28am

Re: XUL???
>>His omission of a sleeping pad caught my attention as much as anything else. In a survival situation, you can insulate with leaves and evergreen boughs, but that runs against leave no trace...

January 11, 1:07pm

Re: Rip-off by MSR?
>>Just kidding... but Under Armour has a baselayer fleece that is EXACTLY like the Patagonia R1 (non-hoody) pullover. Down the to checkered pattern, thumb holes, stretch... I believe the R...

In GEAR » Rip-off by MSR ?
January 11, 10:18am

Re: Rip-off by MSR ?
Perhaps MSR is licensing some of the design concepts from Tarptent. The Tarptent site does show the Rainbow as patent pending...

In GEAR » Rip-off by MSR ?
January 10, 3:36pm

Re: A case for trekking poles?
Brian: I've always used a pole or poles when backpacking, for the reasons that Chris Townsend described in his reply. I find them useful, but I don't believe they help with propulsion al...

In Philosophy & Technique » A case for trekking poles?
January 10, 12:00pm

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm