BPL Community Profile

Martin Rye (rye1966) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale UK
About Me I work with the homeless in the East of England. Scotland is my main destination to go backpacking. I am a backpacker, nothing more.
CountryUK
My Website URLhttps://martinrye.wordpress.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Martin Rye

Showing 51 - 60 of 299 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...30

Forum » Thread

Teton Crest Expedition
Reading that and watching the video was superb. Well done to all who did the trip and thanks for writing the trip report and making that fantastic video.

In Editor's Roundtable » Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition
February 23, 1:06pm

atabatic Sawatch 15 Quilt
Great review Roger. Used my Sawatch for several trips now camping high and out in very bad weather. Been down to -4 and its been fine. Nice and warm. I am 6'2 and use the long version. No is...

In Editor's Roundtable » Katabatic Sawatch 15 Quilt and Crestone Hood Review
February 23, 1:02pm

Rannoch Moor Traverse
Great trip report John. I don't have a packraft but can see why they are so good for travelling through the hills and wilderness. I enjoyed reading that and the photos are superb.

In Post-Trip Reports » Rannoch Moor Traverse, November 2010
January 08, 3:19pm

Your Best Gear of 2010
1. Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack 2. La Sportive Crosslite 3. Mountain Laurel Design Superlight bivy

In GEAR » Your Best Gear of 2010
December 27, 4:45pm

Re: "ion-mask" nano waterproofing technology
I have used a test pair of Hi-Tec ion-mask nano waterproofing technology boots. In very wet conditions they leaked after a few miles. It is something BPL need to look at and get the truth on how ...

In GEAR » "ion-mask" nano waterproofing technology
November 26, 5:32am

New MLD Bivys
Ron you're a design genius to keep making more kit. I will stick with the Superlight. Used lots now in the very damp UK and it is perfect. Keeps my down quilt and bags dry and me warm under...

In Gear Deals » New MLD Bivys
November 05, 2:54pm

"Down Hood/Balaclava"
Looks great and do that tutorial on your blog. Which leads to the question what is the web site URL?

In Make Your Own Gear » Down Hood/Balaclava
October 17, 2:45pm

Re: Re: Re: Maybe Rog is right
Tony my question still stands and I am asking what data are you using to back your claims and to prove those scientific claims. We know the UEA lost all their data. So what are the records all yo...

In Chaff » End of the Carbon Flame War Thread
October 07, 1:07am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pray for that supervolcano, Rog
Tony why is your centre so good? Where I live the UEA’s Climatic Research Unit which is rated as world leading had to admit it had thrown away data records and the claim that the world has warme...

In Chaff » End of the Carbon Flame War Thread
October 06, 4:39pm

Re: Hogback
Agree David. I own a DuoMid and it is not a bomber wind resistant shelter. It is a good shelter and stands upright in strong winds but the shelter gets battered and knocked about and it has limit...

In GEAR » 4 person backpacking shelter
October 03, 10:12am

All Reader Reviews by Martin Rye

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Haglofs LIM55 LIM55
The LIM55 is a good pack with a claimed weight of 1075G - on my scales it tips in at 1092. The pack has aluminium 6005 - T6 bar as a frame with perforated foam for comfort and padding on the back. It...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
July 15, 6:36am

The Backpacker's Handbook by Chris Townsend
As backpacking is about getting out in to the wilderness and not gear the book is superb. Some hike light and some heavy. Chris caters for each. It helps the beginner steering them to make good inf...

In Books and Media
June 25, 4:16pm

Inov8 RocLite 318 GTX
Used these on my last backpack for a week in Scotland. Poor paths and often no paths, yet comfort all the way. Only concern would be to hot in summer due to the lining. I had no heel lift and total...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
June 11, 11:19am

Alpkit CarbonLite
A while back I gave these poles 5 out 5. A year on they are not used. Poor quality control is an issue. The handles slip of and the tips were fast and the baskets fall of. Under a year is not acce...

In Trekking Poles
June 09, 1:44pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
It’s a great pad, no leaks, no problems. It’s given me comfort all over the hills and dales. As for the view it’s on the heavy side trust me it feels lighter to have one of these in your pack after ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 19, 5:04pm

Terra Nova Laser
Nice to see some one appreciating this tent more than the Laser competition. I bought this to replace my Hilleberg Akto as I was fed up of being cramped do to poor head room. I love the Laser and it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
April 05, 11:54am

Gregory G pack
I bought this pack for a two week coast to coast rout across Scotland (TGO 07) I needed a light pack that was stable as I intended to do a few summits via ridges etc. The good points where comfort at...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 11, 4:22pm

Hilleberg Akto
I used an Akto for three years. Great tent though strong wind does blow the sides in. Not one for tall people like me at 6ft 2. You won’t be able to sit up and the sloping sides get annoying after ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
December 09, 4:59pm