Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Keith Selbo (herman666) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me I've been a camper all my life. BK: (before kids) the wife and I would throw our bikes and a little wheeled trunk in the back of the plane and head for the boonies just about every weekend. AK: Camping was a rarity, but we took day hikes with the kids. Now the kids are on their own and we've discovered lightweight backpacking. Been doing it for three years. Base pack weight is 14lb and decreasing. Tent is now a Hennessy Hyperlight and I've replaced the Miniworks with a Sawyer.

People in down don't frown.
CityManassas
StateVA
CountryUS
My PDF Gear ListThree Season Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Keith Selbo

Showing 51 - 60 of 488 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...49

Forum » Thread

my experience
I've used dry bags to haul water from springs to shelters. I at least one of them was a Wal-Mart bag. They were sufficiently tight for that purpose, but I always got them wet when I filled t...

In Make Your Own Gear » myog dry bag gravity filter not so dry ??
March 18, 10:31am

No comparison
I have a Steripen Adventurer. I took it on one 3 day hike. It worked fine as far as I can tell, but why anyone would want to sit around stirring for 90 seconds if they had a choice is beyond me. ...

In Editor's Roundtable » SteriPEN vs H2O Amigo, a long distance hiker’s comparison
March 09, 8:29pm

tub floor stakeout
"The mesh door and side and rear mesh panels have been redesigned so that they hold up the edges of the bathtub floor without needing to tension the floor corners. The above is quoted from ...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear "The One" Question???
February 27, 6:12pm

Super Shelter on sale for $99.95 at Hennessy Hammocks
My Wal-Mart pad has always worked pretty well for insulation, but it is a pain to deal with it. I ordered the super shelter insulation kit tonight when I saw it on sale.

In Gear Deals » Super Shelter on sale for $99.95 at Hennessy Hammocks
February 22, 9:35pm

what I do
Read, listen to music, watch video, journal.

In Hammocks » Hammocks vs Tents
February 22, 9:19pm

cheap good quality steel
I've seen some excellent chisels a guy made from steel cut from automotive leaf springs. They took an extremely sharp edge and held it. As I recall he had to heat it very hot and let it cool ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Making a knife
February 04, 12:20pm

The old in out
My rule is: if you absolutely positively have to have it in the morning, it comes inside. My pack usually hangs from the end of my hammock just outside the opening, but my boots are always hangi...

In GEAR » Leaving Pack Outside Shelter
January 31, 7:21pm

Re: gravity filter
"I dont know if i would like the idea of having to wait for camp to refill water." I filter on the go all the time. It doesn't take that long. A few minutes tops, and there's...

In GEAR » What contaminates do you treat your water for? And what do you use to filter/purify?
January 30, 6:51pm

It's not necessarily about the leg muscles
My wife was and still is not too keen about dropping trou in the middle of the woods near a trail. She'd take a long hike and find a big tree. I bought her a sani-fem and she greatly prefers ...

In GEAR » Female Urinary Device: FUD
January 30, 6:37pm

be-all-end-all
I certainly like the idea of an ultralight, feature rich bear canister, but I also like dual use to offset the burden of having to carry one in the first place. I don't carry a table or a chai...

In GEAR » "Bearier" bear cannister
January 28, 7:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Keith Selbo

Showing 1 - 10 of 31 | Page: 1 2 3 4

Review

Category

zpacks Arc Blast 52 liter
This pack has been so comfortable that I considered downgrading my other pack reviews to allow valid comparisons. Zpacks has made some changes to the Arc blast since I bought mine last year. I'll...

In Backpacks - External Frame
November 25, 12:24pm

Osprey Exos 58
I bought this pack for the loads imposed by longer hikes which exceed the comfort capacity of my GG Mariposa. The decision to buy was a long time coming because the 58 weighs a pound and two ounces mo...

In Backpacks - External Frame
March 28, 1:43pm

Hennessy CAT CAPE PONCHO RAINFLY
Product: CAT CAPE PONCHO RAINFLY Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammocks Weight: 9 oz. Price: $89 This Rain fly replaces the stock fly on a number of Hennessy models including the Hyperlight Backpack...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
October 09, 1:04pm

Hennessy Hammock Asym
I reviewed the hyperlight backpacker elsewhere, but I wanted to comment on the review above that said it's necessary to tighten the ropes after lying in the hammock. This hasn't been my exp...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
October 09, 12:41pm

SteriPen Adventurer
Price: $90 Weight: 3.6 oz Capacity: 50 l. per set of CR12...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
May 20, 11:28am

Bearikade Expedition
First, I'll round out the product info of the first review with the dimensions: 9" dia. by 14". Pricey is an understatement. I surveyed bear canisters (see below) and this canister is ...

In Miscellaneous Products
May 05, 9:57am

Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket
The first reviewer in this thread summed up just about everything pretty well. I'd have opted to pay the fraction of an ounce weight penalty for a higher collar to avoid the inconvenience of usin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 22, 8:43am

Hennessy Hammocks lightweight hammock shelters
For starters, they have some fantastic promotions. I got a Scout model free with my Hyperlight Backpacker. I gave it my daughter and she loves it. When I bought a Hyperlight for my wife, another ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 18, 11:01am

Backcountrygear.com
When the wrong Western Mountaineering jacket model arrived (They sent me a Flash when I'd ordered a Flight) they overnighted me the Flight jacket and a return label for the Flash. I like a compan...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 18, 10:51am

Remington RMHL2AAA-B
Serious Competition For the EOS Manufacturer's Specifications ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 07, 9:20pm