BPL Community Profile

Thomas Knighton (Tomcat1066) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southwest GA
About Me I'm new, but the idea of carrying around 50 lbs of gear is not enticing in the least. I've spent a lot of time car camping in the past, and truthfully, it got boring. I wanted something new and exciting. I wanted to see places most folks will never see because they just don't have what it takes. Backpacking is something I've always wanted to do. Now, I'm doing it!
CityAlbany
StateGA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListPine Mountain Trail Overnight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Knighton

Showing 51 - 60 of 246 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...25

Forum » Thread

Re: If Only Someone Made A.....
If SMD made a cuben Gatewood Cape. A sub-1 lbs internal frame pack with carbon fiber stays and something like Spinntex for the fabric. Something like 3000 ci. Tom

In GEAR » If Only Someone Made A.....
October 17, 3:02am

20 oz for $30?
Maybe it's me, but for 20 ounces at only $30, this looks like a great thing for someone new to grab. As was said earlier, it can always serve well for in-town use versus trail use down the roa...

In Gear Deals » Cheap Primaloft at Land's End
October 16, 10:29am

Re: MSR Pocket Rocket, Vargo Jet Ti and Coleman Exponent F1 UItralight
EJ, I haven't used any of these personally, but BPL did a test of some cannister stoves some time back, and I know the Pocket Rocket and the F1 were part of that, and I think the Vargo was a...

In GEAR » Best solo and dual lightweight Ti cookware and light stoves (gas and alcohol)
October 16, 10:19am

Hiking with Conviction
I've never hiked the PCT, so take this with a grain of salt, but my thinking is that, if you plan for 6 days hiking then one zero day, and and adjust your start date accordingly, then you shoul...

In Philosophy & Technique » Off days & Thru's
October 16, 3:30am

Re: Re: Re: cheap ul gear challenge
>sadly, we don't have snow sled lingo in georgia :( Sure we do! It's called "WTF?", right? ;) Or maybe that's just southwest Georgia specific :D Tom

In Gear Lists » Cheapest UL Gear List Challenge
October 16, 3:19am

Re: re quilt
>haven't really considered a quilt cause I really change >positions a lot I do too, and I love my quilt. I move a lot during the night at home as well, and I move my comforter to kee...

In GEAR » new sleeping bag
October 15, 5:26pm

Re: Or rather
>Huffing Teflon fumes off of a jacked up stove in a sealed tent isn't one of them. Great. Kill my plans for the weekend, why don't ya? ;) Tom

In GEAR » Is there any benefit to non-stick titanium cookware and is there any danger?
October 15, 5:17pm

Re: Quilt users - headgear?
I use a fleece cap, but I haven't really needed to go down to low with my set up either. Tom

In GEAR » Quilt users - headgear?
October 15, 12:34pm

Re: Queston for Ye Titanium Mug/Pot Users
It sounded like lime until you mentioned you were using filtered water. If it's not that, then I'm at a complete loss. Have you thought about testing it with bottled water just to see if ...

In GEAR » Queston for Ye Titanium Mug/Pot Users
October 14, 5:51pm

Re: Is there any benefit to non-stick titanium cookware and is there any danger?
The primary reason for non-stick Ti cookware is to prevent sticking when you're actually cooking with the pot. If you're just boiling water, there is no real advantage that I know of. As ...

In GEAR » Is there any benefit to non-stick titanium cookware and is there any danger?
October 14, 5:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Knighton

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Golite Jam
I bought my GoLite Jam on closeout, since I was gearing up completely and needed to save money where I could. However, after trying the pack out, I have to say it was money well spent. I currently r...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 25, 7:19am

Petzl e+LITE
I got caught out past dark, and my e+Light really saved my butt. On maximum, it was enough to help me find my way for the next couple of miles to get to camp, and help me set up. I didn't notice...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 22, 7:37am

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
First, let me preface this by saying that I found no new information in the book really. However, that doesn't take away from the book. What I did was read it in the context to which it was inte...

In Books and Media
October 11, 7:04am

Light My Fire Spork
I bought one of these about a year ago to test as a possible piece of gear for my first backpacking trip. I promptly bought one for my wife and one for my son! These puppies are the best design out ...

In Cookware - Other
September 14, 3:37pm

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
I purchased this DVD as a bit of a lark. I had heard some good things about it, and wanted to actually SEE some of the ultralight gear and techniques put to use. Not only that, but one of my guilty ...

In Books and Media
February 10, 7:32am

Lightweight Backpacking and Camping by Ryan Jordan et al.
First, there is no better book on ultralight backpacking that I've read. This book is good for the beginner who decides to start ultralight, or the experienced traditional backpacker who wants to...

In Books and Media
February 10, 7:25am

Coleman Peak 1 Microstove
Purchased partly by accident, partly by impatience, the Peak 1 Microstove is actually a pleasant surprise. It's easy to light, easy to control, fairly fuel efficient, and realitively inexpensive ...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 4:31pm

The Ultralight Backpacker by Ryel Kestenbaum
When I stumbled across this book at my local bookstore, I was excited beyond belief. A book on ultralight backpacking was exactly what I was looking for, and Lighten Up! was apparently sold out. &qu...

In Books and Media
January 06, 4:25pm

The Backpacker's Field Manual by Rick Curtis
Being new to backpacking, I picked up this book as a primer for my understand of the subject of backpacking. It's target audience is primarily people like me, who are new to backpacking and want ...

In Books and Media
January 02, 3:04am