BPL Community Profile

Doug Smith (Jedi5150) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central CA
About Me LEO K9 handler, with SAR, EMS background.
StateCalifornia

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Doug Smith

Showing 51 - 60 of 251 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...26

Forum » Thread

ski hut
Thanks Bob, the ski hut idea is outstanding. Tahoe is much easier for me to get to in winter than Yosemite, so I'm glad that there are more huts available there. As we mentioned earlier, Pete...

In Winter Hiking » 1000 Island Lake in winter
December 13, 2:01pm

mammoth to...whoops
I feel like a moron. When I was chatting about the Mammoth to Yosemite ski tour, I was picturing the 30 mile trip to Tuolumne meadows from Agnew Meadows. I completely forgot that Tioga Pass is cl...

December 13, 1:43pm

experience
Hi Billy, at this point in my life the most accurate would be: xc- groomed trails- beginner I've never once been downhill skiing, and my cross country experiences were 20 years ago in Banff...

December 13, 11:48am

rentals
Thanks Bob! Good info. Since asking you this question, I found this introduction to ski touring article here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/intro_nordic_backcountry_ge...

December 13, 1:33am

What ski type? (for Bob Gross)
Bob, (or anyone who knows) since it sounds like you've done this sort of thing, backcountry ski touring in the Sierras, what type of skis/ bindings/ boots are most appropriate? I'm not...

December 12, 11:19pm

skiis
Thanks for the replies, gents. Billy is correct, I'm not looking to do this trip this winter. This winter I plan on doing a couple snow camping trips, to get more dialed in with my gear, comf...

December 12, 12:22pm

tips
Thanks for the video tips Jerry, I appreciate it. Brendan, that was sort of the thoughts I was expecting about the DP2M. It actually should have been delivered today, but I missed the UPS guy. ...

In Photography » Video tips for the outdoors?
December 12, 1:19am

solo
Thanks Billy and Bob. Billy, I'm really not considering doing it solo, but the PLB is a good idea anyways, even on summer trips. My wife already told me she's OK with me buying one, even ...

December 11, 11:54am

mammoth-yosemite
Thanks Billy! I'll check out the links you gave. I tried winter camping once and wasn't properly geared for it, so I didn't care for it. I have more suitable gear and plan on getting...

December 11, 10:53am

1000 Island Lake in winter
Maybe this should be in the Pre-trip planning forum, but since I don't actually have a plan yet, I'm starting here first. For those familiar with winter hiking and the Mammoth Lakes area...

December 11, 1:28am

All Reader Reviews by Doug Smith

Doug Smith has posted no reviews.