BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4991 - 5000 of 5415 | Page: 1 ...491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 ...542

Forum » Thread

Re: WTB: ULA Ohm large
I have a new Ohm. Never used. Large with medium belt and hip pockets. $150 includes shipping CONUS. PM me. I can handle payment with PayPal. I bought it for my son several months ago. He is awa...

In Gear Swap » WTB: ULA Ohm large
July 16, 1:03am

Re: backpacking with my wife
Slow pace. On uphills, ask frequently enough if she would like to rest. Assure her that there are no creatures around to hurt either of you. Before sitting down for a rest, visibly look aroun...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backpacking with my wife
July 10, 1:04pm

Re: Sleeping bag for Algonquin Park, Canada
Predicting the weather is tough. But 30F should be fine. If you buy it ahead of time and the temps are unseasonably cold, just wear your insulation layers to sleep in. Many of us have several bags/...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sleeping bag for Algonquin Park, Canada
July 08, 2:16pm

Re: The FIve Finger Flow
Gary, I have a pair of the KSO's and they don't get soggy at all. Most of the uppers are mesh material. I also tried the Iniji socks per Vibram's recommendation and did not like t...

In GEAR » The FIve Finger Flow
July 08, 1:52am

Re: Guy Lines for MLD Poncho/Tarp
Ryan, When using an A-frame configuration, 18" - 24" for sides & corners should be about right. Your ridge lines should probably be around 10' each. The trick with a tarp is to...

In GEAR » Guy Lines for MLD Poncho/Tarp
July 08, 1:15am

Re: Saucony Shay XC Flat
Adrian, I wouldn't worry about the uppers, they will outlast the soles!! I have pretty muched switched to the racing flats for almost all my hiking all of this year. Just make sure you get u...

In GEAR » Good article on running footwear
July 08, 12:31am

Re: Lightweight Camp / Water crossing Sandles
Umm... I just leave my trail runners or lighter running shoes on and cross streams in them. They also are great camp shoes with the laces lossened a bit. One shoe fits all :)

In GEAR » Lightweight Camp / Water crossing Sandles
July 08, 12:12am

Re: Recommendations for tough off beat hikes
Sierra High Route. I haven't done it (yet).

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Recommendations for tough off beat hikes
July 08, 12:07am

Re: Re: Re: High Sierra Trail help
I vote for the round trip. If you can get a coupe more days of vacation, try that if necessary. For the distance you are traveling, it will be worth the the extra days. There is a lot of elevati...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » High Sierra Trail help
June 19, 8:59am

Re: sleep system advice
>> Thanks for the advice. It's good to see that there generally people don't have any problems using down systems in wetter weather. Keep in mind that those posters, along with mys...

In GEAR » sleep system advice
June 19, 8:53am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am