Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4981 - 4990 of 6202 | Page: 1 ...490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 ...621

Forum » Thread

Re: You sir, are a dumb$$$
"I believe in CAR-ma!!! Things always come back to you--full circle." Now if you could just digitally add a dog pi$$ing on the car. Excuse me, my dogma just pi$$ed on you CAR-ma.

In Chaff » You sir, are a dumb$$$
November 12, 5:38pm

Re: Re: Re: Sleeping with Bear Spray Underneath Your Pillow
"I heard bear spray doesn't taste all that good though...." Bears are reputed to find it quite tasty when spread on haunch of hiker.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bears -n- Bivys
November 12, 5:31pm

Re: Relative Loft ALWAYS Determines the Comparative Warmth
"Is there anyone who no longer believes the often repeated axiom, "The Relative Loft ALWAYS Determines the Comparative Warmth"?" Richard, I missed something along the way....

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 Sleeping Bag Review
November 12, 5:29pm

Re: best hikes.
"If you want to hike in the High Sierra, I'd recommend staying (mostly) off the JMT, and just making up your own adventure" ++1 to this whole post, with the caveat that you are com...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What are the best 50-150 mile hikes in the country?
November 12, 5:23pm

Re: Re: Re: Bears -n- Bivys
"Brown Bear: Slowly draw back the hammer on your Winchester", put the barrel in your mouth, and......

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bears -n- Bivys
November 11, 8:06pm

Re: What are the best 50-150 mile hikes in the country?
The PCT from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass. It is 72 miles of up and down through some very beautiful country. Only down side is that it is point to point. You will see people, but we only enc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What are the best 50-150 mile hikes in the country?
November 11, 3:19pm

Re: uber-shoes
"but the reality of the Northern Lights is that they're fully functional on all snow and lightest mile after mile." I've got to respectfully disagree here, Michael. I've b...

In Winter Hiking » Snowshoes
November 11, 2:59pm

Re: Re: What is a good multiuse wind shirt/rain jacket ??
"If I wanted more in a ul form, I would most likely go with the integral designs event jacket. 8oz is size L made from the material with the best breathability currently on the market." ...

In GEAR » What is a good multiuse wind shirt/rain jacket ??
November 10, 9:02pm

Re: Re: The worst place in the world for a hike...
"I wonder if securing one's release from a hostile foreign power is covered under SPOT's optional insurance plan..." The SPOT, with its tracking/messaging capabilities would li...

In Chaff » The worst place in the world for a hike...
November 10, 5:45pm

Re: weight
"It's funny, but I think the quilt trend has fueled the "wind bivvy" (or "superfluous bivvy") trend, because with the strap or drawcord bottom closure in anything but i...

In Philosophy & Technique » Quilt vrs. Bag
November 10, 5:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm