BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4941 - 4950 of 5388 | Page: 1 ...486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 ...539

Forum » Thread

Re: Emergency blanket as tarp?
Several decades ago, I used this type of an emergency shelter. Main issue is securing guylines without tearing the material. I used Visclamps for this. These are rubber balls that are inserted into...

In GEAR » Emergency blanket as tarp?
September 21, 11:33am

Re: sand shoes
If there is any place to go barefooted, it is on the beach. Simple solution and no gear to buy.

In GEAR » what to look for in a shoe
September 21, 10:52am

Re: Need info: Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Mead
Jay, JT can be crowded in November. The south part of the park is furthest from LA, and the least used. If car camping, stay at the Cottonwood campground. Mostly snowbirds who go to sleep at 8:0...

In Post-Trip Reports » Need info: Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Mead
September 21, 10:49am

Re: Getting from 13 to down to 10?
As others have pointed out, getting rid of "luxuries" costs nothing. You can easily keep your self occupied without these. I did not do the math, but I could get this nearly in half. Also...

In Gear Lists » Getting from 13 to down to 10?
September 21, 10:14am

Re: Thanks everyone
Dan, Since you are still confused, perhaps we should start over :) How much will your pack weigh fully loaded? From there you might get more help. Also, I am 59 and wore leather boots for ...

In GEAR » Need light but sturdy boots
August 28, 2:14am

Re: Worn Base Layer?
I live in socal. If the high temperature is around 80F max, then the BPL Merino Wool Hoody is your dual purpose upper choice. Above 80F, then you can go with some of Mark's recommendations. ...

In GEAR » Worn Base Layer?
August 28, 2:07am

Re: Polycro wear
Agree with Brian on the Polycro. I was sketic at first, but it is holding up well. Been using it all year.

In GEAR » groundcloth
August 25, 2:09pm

Re: "What age to change to trail runners?"
Evan, You are a bright you man. Sure is nice to see that today.

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » What age to change to trail runners?
August 25, 2:06pm

Re: How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed
Ah, heck! Now we are going to have hordes of people invading and over-populating the back county. :) But GG could benefit... if they had any inventory left to sell.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to Recharge Your Soul - NY Times Op-Ed
August 25, 2:03pm

Re: Best Ever
1. Closed foam pads 2. Hip belts 3. Lightweight Stoves (used to use campfires) 4. Poncho/Tarp 5. Platypus

In GEAR » You Tell Me...What is the Best Gear Ever???
August 25, 1:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am