BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4921 - 4930 of 5415 | Page: 1 ...484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 ...542

Forum » Thread

4 day loop at Lake Mead
Background Each year my wife and I camp at Lake Mead for two weeks. We spend Christmas and New Year’s day with her family. I usually make time for a backpacking trip also. I have noticed that ...

In Post-Trip Reports » 4 day loop at Lake Mead
January 05, 11:32pm

Re: SoCal Winter- plan for 0F blizzards and 85F at the beach
I agree with Jim. What do you want to do. Something different than your usual haunts?

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » SoCal Winter
January 05, 5:51pm

Re: can t stay warm
It sure sounds like the pad is the place to start. I always sleep cold. Roger Caffin suggested that I look at heat loss through the head also. I bought a BPL Cocoon 60 baclava, and that has most...

In GEAR » can t stay warm
January 05, 5:49pm

Re: Your opinion on 3 different shelter options
Justin, Option 1: has no bivy, so you might want to use a Spinn Twinn for more coverage and venting. You're probably going to get a lot of condensation in the Spinn Shelter and have no bivy ...

In GEAR » Your opinion on 3 different shelter options
January 05, 4:54pm

Re: Nicknames
Dean, I like "Dr Dean" better :)

In Chaff » Nicknames
January 05, 4:42pm

Re: outcast
Well, there are those who are consumed by UL, and constantly trying to convert the world, kinda like religion. People around me just know I backpack. They wouldn't know the difference betwee...

In Philosophy & Technique » Going solo? How has ultralight made you an outcast?
January 05, 12:19pm

Re: Nicknames
Mine BPL name is first intial, last name. Not very creative. Since my legal first name is Nick, I don't need a "nickname." :)

In Chaff » Nicknames
January 05, 12:08pm

Re: How's Boise?
Lee, Lots of hiking opportunities. I did some work at one of the car dealerships in the area a couple years ago, and did some day hikes. Can't give you a lot of particulars about the area, b...

In Post-Trip Reports » How's Boise?
January 05, 12:05pm

Re: Chafing
Usually not a problem I have, except in very hot conditions with a lot of sweating. For this situation I use the Ex Officio long briefs. I have never needed to use the 'glides' or other ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do I avoid chafing?
January 05, 11:44am

Re: Protecting maps in the field
Unless I anticipate rain or snow, I just fold them up. I prefer USGS 7.5 Quad maps, if I don't need more than 2 of them. Otherwise, I use Topo! for California, and print the sections I need. I ...

In GEAR » Protecting maps in the field
January 05, 11:37am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am