BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4911 - 4920 of 5958 | Page: 1 ...483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 ...596

Forum » Thread

Re: MODERATOR... please...
"move to Chaff" No problem, Dave, as long as I get to finish my post.

In Chaff » Hiking went wrong in Iraq
September 24, 5:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking went wrong in Iraq
Whew! Rog was uncharacteristically brief. When I first saw his post pop up I thought the two of you were going to gang up on me. :) "Or are just saying that the Iranian government may be...

September 24, 5:30pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking went wrong in Iraq
"Hilarity ensues when they get bored." Yup. But everybody stopped laughing real quick back in the 80's. If you're located where I think you're located, I'll bet we&...

September 24, 4:32pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking went wrong in Iraq
"Nonetheless, the Iranians have a record of snatching people from across the border, then claiming that the snatchees had strayed into Iran. (Even when the snatchees are obviously British mili...

September 23, 9:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hiking went wrong in Iraq
"So how, precisely, do you find the origin of the borders to be mitigating?" For all practical purposes, you don't. What's done is done, at least as long as the West is runnin...

September 23, 6:50pm

Re: Nine day loop from Kings Canyon to Minearl King and back
Superb route concept, Dave! You passed through just about the finest the southern Sierra has to offer. It doesn't get much better, IME. Thanks for sharing. " Climb Triple Divide Pass...

In Post-Trip Reports » Nine day loop from Kings Canyon to Minearl King and back
September 23, 6:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: BPL Ranking-points deducted??
"Dean, I'm surprised you need to know a rank to work out how much notice you should take of other's opinions. ;-)" He's in the army, Rog. ;}

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPLRank v0.1
September 23, 5:47pm

Re: Easy Sierra Loop?
" Is there anywhere that you can start a little closer to elevation and hit a good loop, say up to 40 miles? Thanks all!" A little further north you could go in over Paiute Pass, drop ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Easy Sierra Loop?
September 23, 5:37pm

Re: Re: Hiking went wrong in Iraq
"I'm not even sure that they had to stray into Iran to get snatched by the Iranians. They have a long, proud history of creative interpretation of their borders:" Which were drawn ...

September 23, 5:16pm

Re: Thunder Pass? Millys/Lucy's Foot Pass?
Hey Dave, Follow on question: What was your route coming up from the south? We dropped into Milestone Basin via Milestone Pass on 9/5. From the sound of things we just missed each other. Wou...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Thunder Pass? Millys/Lucy's Foot Pass?
September 22, 7:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm