BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4911 - 4920 of 6009 | Page: 1 ...483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 ...601

Forum » Thread

Re: Primed and Ready to Go
"Don't pump it 100% at first, and just let a very small amount of fuel flow into the priming cup. Light the fuel, let it burn out, and then pump up fully, re-light, and let 'er rip. ...

In GEAR » Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister
October 13, 5:25pm

Re: UV Protection for my eyes.
"Can I even come close to my ideal?" The hard part will be coming up with sunglasses that put up with tons of abuse. I'd check with an optometrist if I were you. All of the bra...

In Philosophy & Technique » UV Protection for my eyes.
October 12, 8:59pm

Re: Jet Boil Accidents
"Doesn't look too hard to master" Exactly, Hartley, IME. I used both the XGK and the Whisperlite a lot a long time ago and only had one flare up, which didn't qualify as a fir...

In GEAR » Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister
October 12, 8:56pm

Re: stream crossing footwear input needed
"What's a stream?" Sort of like the Rio Grande only lots bigger. ;}

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » stream crossing footwear input needed
October 12, 8:42pm

Re: Questions about the ULA Ohm Pack
"Any other comments about this pack? Be prepared to fiddle around with the hipbelt wings a bit to learn how to find a comfortable position. Once that is done, it is a great pack. It will c...

In GEAR » Questions about the ULA Ohm Pack
October 12, 6:36pm

Re: Re: A light base layer?
"Regarding baselayers I highly recommend the Patagonia Capilene 1" +1

In Gear Lists » A light base layer?
October 12, 5:14pm

Re: Ultralight Rifle
"Taste wise, I'd avoid racoons from experience - too greasy" Parboil 'em first and skim the fat off the surface of the water. Them fry, bake, roast, whatever your preference. ...

In GEAR » Ultralight Rifle
October 10, 9:20pm

Re: Live of the land...like it was 200 years ago
"I guess that means you will be leaving behind modern conveniences like your "UL" pack, tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, pocket rocket stove, matches and be wearing heavy cloth made...

In GEAR » Ultralight Rifle
October 10, 2:58pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ursack
"I would never backpack in Yosemite with any kind of canister. "With???" Did you mean to say "without?" I could have been clearer, I guess. What I meant to say is tha...

In GEAR » Have we hit the point of diminishing gains?
October 09, 8:55pm

Re: Re: Re: Ursack
", that's pretty much true of any Ursack whether it's the older Vectran (yellow) model or the newer Spectra (green) model. If a bear has enough time, he's probably going to get in,...

In GEAR » Have we hit the point of diminishing gains?
October 09, 7:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm