BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4911 - 4920 of 5903 | Page: 1 ...483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 ...591

Forum » Thread

Looks can be deceiving
I think people in this "image is everything" society of ours tend to get carried away with external appearances. Down through the years, I've hiked and backpacked, on trail and off,...

In Philosophy & Technique » ULers Carrying an Extra 20-40 lbs - WHY?!
July 31, 6:16pm

Re: Not backpacking with my wife.
"We're solid and share many, many, many beautiful things with each other. Long walks in the woods with a pack are mine- she get's it, I get it, it works." +1

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backpacking with my wife
July 31, 5:40pm

Re: Re: Cheap locking poles
"If you want strong and reliable you can't beat the Black Diamond flicklock range." +1, especially if you want to leap tall buildings with a single bound, pack and all, but they ...

In GEAR » So how about some...
July 29, 8:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Back to the OP
"Tom, sorry I didn't see your post. Your original post to the OP looks okay to me. I don't recommend someone eat 1,300 cal/day when they weigh 177 lb and will be at way more than a 1,0...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » 1300 Cals a Day
July 29, 5:18pm

Re: Re: Re: Back to the OP
"Way to put us on the spot, there, Tom." Heh heh. Gawd, how I love to see a doc twisting in the wind. :)) But, seriously, you put your finger right on the key to further progress,...

July 29, 5:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Back to the OP
"it's interesting to learn about the other points of view and I appreciate the education of it all." Yup. I hope everybody else feels more or less the same way.

July 22, 8:24pm

Re: Re: Cost to burn stored fat
"He never mentioned fattening up before the trip." He probably didn't think it was worth it. Only he knows for sure and, so far, he ain't talkin'. It would be interesting...

July 22, 5:00pm

Re: Re: Back to the OP
"I just don't think I'll every get so much into lightweight backpacking that I will cut the food so much that I am trying to use my bodies fat stores as a planned part of the menu.&quo...

July 22, 4:54pm

Re: Re: Re: Too hot to hike?
"I have this wierd thing. I hate plain water. I just don't like it. Hot water is even worse." Another possibility is to use Morton's Lite salt in your water. It contains sodiu...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Too hot to hike?
July 22, 4:39pm

Re: Re: Cost to burn stored fat
""Regardless of the numbers though, your info still agrees with me that you get less total energy from stored fat than from readily digestible fat. The only way it would disagree is if st...

July 22, 4:23pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm