Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4911 - 4920 of 6437 | Page: 1 ...483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 ...644

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Pop Bomb and Spending Hogs
"we are still consumer hogs." For which the GEAR ENABLER bears considerable responsibility. ;}

In Editor's Roundtable » Made in China - A State of the Market Report
February 08, 5:41pm

Re: Economic Growth Takes Care of Population Growth
"And thus, economic development actually takes care of the population 'bomb'!" And creates an even more pernicious consumption bomb as everybody sets about living "The Ame...

In Editor's Roundtable » Made in China - A State of the Market Report
February 08, 5:39pm

Re: helping the poles
"Anytime that I purchase trekking poles or ski poles, I know that the very bottom six inches is most vulnerable to scratches, wear, or breakage. To minimize that risk, I always apply a plastic...

In Gear Swap » FS: Titanium Goat Adjustable Poles
February 08, 5:27pm

Re: Re: Clarify
"At the end of the day the various treatment schemes (including no treatment at all) are merely tools to match against conditions within a framework of reasonable risk management." As ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Betadine water purification?
February 08, 5:14pm

Re: Re: What's your favorite rain jacket
"Because some internal accumulation isn't nearly as chilling as soaked to the bone from rain, and the water running down my body" Everybody's metabolism is different, I guess, ...

In GEAR » What's your favorite rain jacket?
February 08, 5:08pm

Integral Designs Event rain jacket
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned this superbly breathable jacket with its minimalist design. No hand pockets, one chest pocket, non adjustable hood which fits most heads nicely, 10 ...

In GEAR » What's your favorite rain jacket?
February 07, 8:08pm

Re: Buckwheat
" It comes out a little bit crunchy, but is certainly edible" Buckwheat comes in different textures: Coarse(whole groats), medium, and, IIRC, fine. If you are using whole groats, yo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Quinoa
February 06, 5:40pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hammock pro/con
"But consider the case of someone who mostly camps where they can hang their hammock above the ground -- from trees, rocks, whatever. Fortunately, for those comparatively few times they are wh...

In GEAR » versatility in a shelter choice?
February 06, 5:13pm

Re: stevens pass to snoqualmie pass in winter
"it's not a big snow year and the weather is so warm right now it seems like a good year to try." Interesting idea. If the weather remains stable it would be feasible, but keep in...

In Winter Hiking » stevens pass to snoqualmie pass in winter
February 06, 5:06pm

Re: Ducks Don't Use Toliet Paper
"When i see people caring toliet paper and taking the time to use it i always tell them "Ducks Don't Use Toliet Paper"" Ducks don't bury their poo, either, and they c...

In Gear Lists » some input on my current gear list please
February 06, 4:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm