Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 491 - 500 of 675 | Page: 1 ...41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ...68

Forum » Thread

SOLD
SOLD

In Gear Swap » Marmot Precip Full Zip Pant Mens M - $40 shipped CONUS
March 11, 10:43pm

Marmot Precip Full Zip Pant Mens M - $40 shipped CONUS
Full zip for easy on/off without taking off shoes and for venting. DWR has been renewed with Grangers and beads water like new. Used primarily as a winter wind pant where zips are an excellent ve...

In Gear Swap » Marmot Precip Full Zip Pant Mens M - $40 shipped CONUS
March 11, 7:36pm

Osprey Talon 44 S/M - $60 Shipped CONUS
Osprey Talon S/M size shown below. Ice Axe loops have been removed, light dirt stains on bottom from where it has been set down. Used approximately 10 times mostly as a winter day pack.

In Gear Swap » Osprey Talon 44 S/M - $60 shipped CONUS
March 11, 7:32pm

Re: How much
So I have been experimenting this afternoon and it seems that the safe amount is 1oz of alcohol to boil 16 oz. In the instructions Devin included he suggests .65-1oz to achieve an efficient boil (...

In GEAR » I am an Alcohol Convert!!
March 11, 6:27pm

I am an Alcohol Convert!!
I recently acquired the Backcountry Boiler II. At the time I purchased it I bought the FireFelt that Devin sells separately. After a couple of wood burns in the Boiler I decided to become more fa...

In GEAR » I am an Alcohol Convert!!
March 11, 3:57pm

Re: tarps and tents
"Reasons for choosing a tarp may include flexibility, but if you never take advantage of it (ie always bring the bivy), might as well be in the tent ." You miss the point of Tarp/Bivy ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » tarp, bivy, ground cloth vs. UL tent weight/cost analysis
March 10, 8:49am

Re: Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions]
I have bought and used a number of different things and have found the Arcteryx Rampart pants to be the best, lightweight, nylon, fast drying and typical Arcteryx fit so they don't look like yo...

In GEAR » Light Simple Hiking Pants [suggestions]
March 09, 7:39am

GG LT3C on sale
Ok, I have decided to pull the trigger on the Gossamer Gear LT3C fixed length poles which are on sale at the moment for $93. I will use the heavier duty BD poles I currently have for my alpine...

In GEAR » Fixed Length Poles
March 08, 6:16pm

EB Sirocco
Obviously there are many options. I personally have the EB Sirocco and love it. It does provide enough roominess to put over a down sweater or similar layer. I also like the hood which provides ...

In GEAR » Windshirt suggestions?
March 08, 3:59pm

Re: Lucky...
I am in Paul's same boat. Living in Colorado really is nice but it looks like your from SF so have access to the Sierra's and coastline beauty near by. I find I like to take my vacation i...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How much vacation time do you use for backpacking trips?
March 08, 1:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm