Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 491 - 500 of 557 | Page: 1 ...37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Forum » Thread

Re: Lightening up Adults (again)
It's been some time since I was involved with Scouting, but a few observations: >>1. Issue trek plan with RECOMMENDATION that carried weight not exceed 25% body weight -- In our troop...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Lightening up Adults (again)
March 29, 10:04am

Re: Re: My 3 Season New England List
>>Mike C is going to be upset that you are carrying TP :) TP is nice to have for the privy's that are at many backcountry campsites in the Whites. I'm also not convinced a ponch...

In Gear Lists » My 3 Season New England List
March 26, 9:46am

Re: Metamorphosis 4: Monocle
>>Great article. Although it was not unthinkable to add an empty can of Pabst Blue Ribbon to your pack, it was definitely unthinkable to buy PBR in the first place! Were they out of beer? ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Metamorphosis 4: Monocle
March 24, 6:33pm

Re: "Getting my gear ready for 2009"
>>EPI-Pen *for bee stings* nix! Folks that carry these need them for severe allergic reactions (death) from bee stings. Not something to be left behind...

In Gear Lists » Getting my gear ready for 2009
March 22, 5:29pm

Re: Aussie coming to Houston
If you want a pleasant walk through typical east Texas woods, try Huntsville State Park, which is north of Houston. Late May through September can be very hot and humid.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Aussie coming to Houston
March 02, 9:18am

Re: Hijacked thread
You could always start a new thread in the Chaff section...

In GEAR » backpack, external or internal frame?
February 22, 2:38pm

Re: Re: AirCore 1 Spectra Accessory Cord
I have some of the 100lb cord that ZPacks sells, it has a braided dacron sheath, so knots hold well. However, it is very small in diameter. It's great for draw-cords in stuff sacks, but I w...

In GEAR » AirCore 1 Spectra Accessory Cord
February 10, 11:00am

Re: Packs that use pad for frame
I don't own a Gossamer Gear pack, but it looks like the GG SitLight sit pad would be a good alternative for the pad pocket. I use a ULA Conduit, which also has no pack lid, and the pad goes ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Packs that use pad for frame
February 07, 4:05pm

Re: Body Glide vs. Hydropel
I did a week long late April trip on the AT in Massachusetts last year. The trail was very wet (think walking in a stream), and my feet were never really dry. I used Hydropel, and had no blisters. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Body Glide vs. Hydropel
February 03, 6:47pm

Re: Weight Reduction
I don't believe that carrying excess body weight as fat is healthy, plus I don't find backpacking very enjoyable when overweight. Part of my motivation for a regular exercise regimen is ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Weight Reduction
January 29, 11:28am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm