Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4891 - 4900 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: math problem
Scott, Maybe the weight is calculated differently, and .8 OSY does not really weigh .8 oz per square yard. But assuming it does, I did the calculation using grams per sq meter, and I came up wit...

In GEAR » Backpacking Light Stealth NANO
February 24, 12:15am

Re: Recommended Primitive Survival Course
Gee, the Air Force gave me one for free, plus my monthly pay. :) A lot of the items you mentioned can be self taught with a little practice. If no one comes up with something that peaks your int...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Recommended Primitive Survival Course?
February 24, 12:05am

Re: Re: "tarp for the beginner tarp camper"
+1 big, cheap 8x10 silnylon tarp. Jardine is/was right. Ditto.

In GEAR » tarp for the beginner tarp camper
February 23, 11:59pm

Re: ULA
Ken, I would cut Chris some slack. Sounds like he thought you meant the back panel of the pack, not the padded backpanel. I bet you had said the foam pad has a kink, he would have just sent one.

In GEAR » ULA Camino
February 23, 11:56pm

Re: Re: Re: Newbie list/ Summer /weekend MI
Matt, My opinions on "hot to the back." Depending on the conditions, you are going to sweat at times. And it is just part of the sport, like many other sports. I don't worry about ...

In Gear Lists » Newbie list/ Summer /weekend MI
February 23, 11:51pm

Re: Re: Lighten Your Heaviest Gear: You!
Bottom line is that we are concerned about weight, we just have to get off our butts and exercise. And exercise does as much for our brains as it does for our bodies. Not rocket science.

In Editor's Roundtable » Lighten Your Heaviest Gear: You!
February 23, 12:38pm

Re: Backpacking Light Stealth NANO
"In all seriousness, how many of you find that 260 bucks is worth 5 ounces of tarp?" Buy itself maybe questionable. However as part of a total gear list the ounce savings add up. Sub 1...

In GEAR » Backpacking Light Stealth NANO
February 23, 12:34pm

Re: hang bags in the closet
Dean, Bad idea. The significant other is going to know everytime you buy a bag or a quilt. Best to store in a cotton bag. I keep my collection in the garage up high where she is not willing t...

In GEAR » Down Bag Compressed by Manufacturer?
February 23, 1:44am

Re: Cigarette smell out of pack
No, no, no. The smell always comes back. The only logical solution is to start smoking, so you don't notice the smell. :)

In GEAR » Cigarette smell out of pack
February 23, 1:29am

Re: Shelter Nostalgia
Unfortunately I don't have any old pictures because I rarely took a camera with me, because they weighed too much. From the 60's until sometime in the 80's my only camera was a Yashica ...

In GEAR » Shelter Nostalgia
February 23, 1:19am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am