Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4881 - 4890 of 6226 | Page: 1 ...480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 ...623

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: ml
"I easily get by using less than 1 fluid oz. per day, making it very efficient for even 10 or 12 days without resupply. YMMV." Mark, What type of alcohol do you use?

In GEAR » School me... Alcohol Stoves
December 14, 5:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Who's land is it anyway?
"Ever walked through a fire zone shortly afterwards? You get FILTHY! I understand the concept, but it doesn't happen in reality. People usually go 100 m and turn back." Yeah, I...

In Chaff » Who's land is it anyway?
December 13, 8:22pm

Re: Ohm
"Anyone else have the same problem with the 3/4" waist strap?" Yeah, same problem. I "field fixed" it by press fitting a section of a pine twig in the slack space in th...

In GEAR » Ohm
December 13, 6:04pm

Re: Re: If you were seperated from your pack...
"Don't get separated!" What could be simpler? + 10!

In Philosophy & Technique » If you were seperated from your pack...
December 13, 5:10pm

Re: Re: Who's land is it anyway?
"Sometimes the land is closed to protect it from us. Give the land some space after a fire. Let it recover for a season. One or two transgressers may do little harm, but imagine if all of LA...

December 13, 5:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Who's land is it anyway?
"and your politicians make less money too." From a different source, too.

December 13, 5:02pm

Re: Re: Re: surveys
"I felt the same way for most of my life. I now carry sometimes and usually concealed (legally)" I understand, PP. I just wish it wasn't felt to be necessary. A sad sign of the t...

In Philosophy & Technique » SURVEY: Ultralight Hunting at Backpacking Light
December 11, 7:34pm

Re: How to determine if a pass is passable
" It is only 0.2miles and we would be going down about 400ft. If I did my math right that is about a 2000ft elevation change in 1M. So the question is...is that doable? How do you determine so...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to determine if a pass is passable
December 11, 7:21pm

Re: They can both be fun
"One more so than the other." Truly.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trekking and hunting
December 11, 5:19pm

Re: surveys
"Oh, except for ultralight hunting and anything having to do with guns" would be an immature approach to dealing responsibly with the topic. Same with eliminating the discussion of guns i...

In Philosophy & Technique » SURVEY: Ultralight Hunting at Backpacking Light
December 11, 5:13pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm