Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4881 - 4890 of 6609 | Page: 1 ...480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 ...661

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: pizo igniter at altitude
"FWIW I've never owned a piezo lighter that works much above 6k or 7k feet, and have given up on them completely." +1

In Editor's Roundtable » Soto OD-1R Canister Stove Product Review
March 24, 5:40pm

Re: Timothy Treadwells Advice
"People should stay 100 yards away from bears at all times." Now if young Timothy had just followed his own advice....

In Philosophy & Technique » Grizzly Bear safety precautions?
March 24, 5:39pm

Re: Last shoe thread,PROMISE! Montrail Jawbone
"I appreciate any input or experiences." This looks like a worthy successor to the old Namche. I'd say go for it if this turns out to be true. The Namche was a great shoe.

In GEAR » Last shoe thread,PROMISE! Montrail Jawbone
March 24, 5:33pm

Re: Re: multivitamin
"Read the label and keep in mind you ideally would get 5-4 times more potassium in your diet than sodium, or equal amounts at the very least." A technique I have used for years when hi...

In GEAR » Base Weight Vs. Consumables Discussion
March 24, 5:27pm

Re: Re: use of body fat @ Chris
"This assumes you run a decent surplus of body fat. I have ~10 lbs of fat on my 145 lb frame, which means I can afford to lose maybe 3 lbs before I start depleting required fat and put myself ...

March 24, 5:04pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"science debate aside,I have to wonder how much personality plays into this as well." Personality plays a huge role, Brian, for good and for ill. It can take you to new heights of ach...

In Philosophy & Technique » High Speed Backpacking - why
March 23, 8:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"My understanding is that the low-intensity work is actually a very important part of aerobic training -- the base building -- and that in the end a balanced program such as I mentioned (mainl...

March 23, 8:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Endurance fuel
"I have traditionally carried a high fat diet and have experienced "hitting the wall" on some of the 12k passes. Higher ratio of carbs?" Greg, I would say definitely. Goi...

March 23, 6:46pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Intensity vs duration
"Are you referring to doing any intensity work at all, or just to doing mainly intensity work? What is "intense" to you? Anaerobic Threshold work? Intervals? No, Bob. I was refer...

March 23, 6:38pm

Inov8 Roclite 370's
MPgear has 3 pairs of 9.5's and 3 pairs of 11's as of last Saturday. www.mpgear.com

In Gear Deals » Inov8 Roclite 370's
March 23, 6:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm