BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4871 - 4880 of 5958 | Page: 1 ...479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 ...596

Forum » Thread

Re: good to know
"Kern Canyon - that's a good backup. When you used that as a bailout, what did you do from there? Wait till things cleared then hiked out to Whitney Portal?" Simon, As I mention...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Non-free standing tent for JMT
October 09, 1:35pm

Re: Starting further south
"Additional advice?" If things get really bad and you can't get out over Shepherd Pass, drop DOWN into Kern Canyon. It's sheltered, lots of wood and water. It's a long hi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Non-free standing tent for JMT
October 09, 1:11pm

Re: Fine into the teens with 2 thinlights
"A couple of nights ago I had a 1/8" thinlight under my size regular neo-air and a 1/4" thinlight above it." Brian, That sounds like a pretty nice combo. I've conside...

In GEAR » GG thinlite with neo air for winter
October 08, 6:38pm

Re: Isolation, emotional trauma and guns
"You CAN obtain a rifle in .308Win. weighing 4-5 lbs.," Hoooeee! I'll bet that one would kick like a mule. :)

In GEAR » Ultralight Rifle
October 08, 6:24pm

ouzel-test2
image here This trip celebrated the reunion of two guys who did a lot of backpacking in the Kern Basin back in the 80’s, before the demands of family and profession forced my friend, Jim, to han...

In User Test Forum » ouzel-test2
October 08, 5:30pm

Posting a trip report
I'd like to post a trip report, but I'm clueless as to how to go about it. The narrative is a MS Word document and the pictures are in jpeg format. Any assistance would be greatly appreci...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Posting a trip report
October 07, 6:40pm

Re: Re: Where do you carry your layers?
Windshirt, beanie, and gloves in hip belt pocket of my OHM, O2 rain jacket and wind pants in front pouch, LS Ibex Wooly shirt stashed at top of pack interior, everything else with sleeping bag in ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Where do you carry your layers?
October 07, 6:24pm

Re: Yeah, that's suffering!
"Hey sorry -- just wondering if you were referring to deep tissue infection with MRSA or nasal colonization" No offense taken-all part of give and take in the forums. I was referring ...

In GEAR » Purell instead of Triple Antibiotic Ointment?
October 07, 6:17pm

Re: MRSA "sufferer"?
"MRSA "sufferer"?" "Were you just labelled as a carrier and treated to eradicate it.? Or are you one of those people who get chronic soft tissue infections from it?" ...

October 07, 2:48pm

Re: A straightforward post by an Emergency Room Physician
"BTW, what is this stuff about dogs? Pets? Wild dogs? Never heard dogs implicated in this context. We do exchange skin flora --staph in particular -- with our pets and with each other -- not t...

October 06, 5:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm