Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4871 - 4880 of 6437 | Page: 1 ...479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 ...644

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: snow
"Sometimes snow tastes like ass." That's a little vague. Could you supply us with a synonym? Or maybe a definition? Otherwise folks are going to be all over the map with this on...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Treating melted snow
February 19, 6:57pm

Re: Re: Re: Rainsheild
"Am I to understand that they are not sealed? Or just poorly sealed" Not sealed. It's too cheap a jacket for them to seal the seams and still make an outrageous profit. But it...

In GEAR » DriDucks vs Frogg Toggs - Bulk/Volume
February 18, 8:56pm

Re: Re: BPL RANK
"It rankles me when..." I can bear it in silence no longer, Miguel. Rank-les. Phew, that was a real stinker. ;-}

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » BPL RANK
February 18, 8:44pm

Re: Rainsheild
"I use the Rainshield version of this jacket." + 1 If you go with the Rainshield, it's worth while sealing the seams. They will let in a fair amount of water otherwise.

In GEAR » DriDucks vs Frogg Toggs - Bulk/Volume
February 18, 8:40pm

Re: Gas perm specific issues
"I wear these all the time, but cannot see myself struggling with taking them off and on in the cold at that height, or even dealing with the dust" I'd investigate disposable lense...

In GEAR » Powered glacier glasses
February 18, 8:34pm

Re: Contacts at 20,000'
"- will not be wearing my contacts at that height." Why not? I wore Accuvue 2 week disposable lenses at 15,000-20,000' for a month, with one change at 2 weeks. No problems. Ther...

In GEAR » Powered glacier glasses
February 18, 5:00pm

Re: Calling all JMT Vets - off trail route opinion needed
"Long question short....is this side trip worth it?" Long story short, it's beautiful country and would be well worth the slight increase in distance. You'll miss magnificent ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Calling all JMT Vets - off trail route opinion needed
February 17, 6:45pm

Re: Re: Re: do both
"63.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot" I've always considered it a branch of accounting, where the operating principle is well expressed by the following Q & A: Q...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is it better to lose weight, or decrease pack weight?
February 17, 6:19pm

Re: Clarity
"9. I start thinking well i want the tent but it is more important to me to have respect for the forum and its members like garry. hence im at a loss for what to do" Listen to your inn...

In Gear Swap » Tarptent Squall 2
February 17, 6:14pm

Waiting for the butterfly
to make a mistake...

In Photo Gallery » UL Creatures
February 17, 5:55pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm