BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 4871 - 4880 of 6077 | Page: 1 ...479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 ...608

Forum » Thread

Re: Best solo and 2 person bear canisters for 2-4 day and week trips
1) solo weekend trips (2-4 days) Bearikade Weekender 2) 2 person weekend trips (2-4 days)/Solo week-long trips Bearikade Weekender 3) 2 person week-long trips Bearikade Exp...

In GEAR » Best solo and 2 person bear canisters for 2-4 day and week trips
November 07, 5:48pm

Re: 390 size
"I ordered mine a half size up" This matches my experience, from 9.5 to 10 in my case. Lots roomier in the toe box that way. Great shoes when you get 'em to fit. BTW, the Ro...

In GEAR » the Inov-8 sizing thread
November 07, 5:39pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: take full rresponsibility for ourselves??
"Doesn't mean either of us is wrong. Just different, in different situations, perhaps looking at life just a little differently." Totally. Good discussion. Thanks, Douglas.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
November 06, 5:53pm

Re: Experience with mixes
"Hansen's layers are then something quite different (and if the polypro is on the inside, that would take away some of my concern about wool itch);" That line of garments is called &...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Polyester-Merino Wool Baselayer Idea
November 06, 5:42pm

Re: "Go on! This is between me and nature!!"
"Travel safely… whatever that means for you and yours." ++1 to your entire post, Roger. Very eloquent presentation of the issues involved.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord
November 06, 5:29pm

Re: Re: take full rresponsibility for ourselves??
"Lastly, it is NOT my responsibility to stay alive for my family. My family can take care of itself." Maybe, maybe not. I am assuming you have dependents. If not, inform me and I wil...

November 06, 5:23pm

Re: Re: Shoe Mania
"If you still want some ankle support, the Inov-8 390GTX shoes are mid-height with decent support and weigh less than a lot of trail shoes." +1 They're a great late fall/early spr...

In GEAR » Shoe Mania
November 06, 5:14pm

Re: UL Gear Questions
"Not sure on your price point, but if you want a frame (rather than a virtual one) consider either the ULA Equipment OHM, which is actually lighter than the Jam" ++1 for the OHM

In GEAR » UL Gear Questions
November 06, 4:52pm

Re: Re: Re: Which Snowshoes?
"Are the MSR lightning ascents best all around, or only for traction?" If you're going to be running into ice or hard snow on anything other than flat, or nearly flat, terrain the ...

In Gear Lists » Which Snowshoes?
November 06, 4:42pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: re: "PLB's, SPOTS vs. Cutting the Cord"
"A PLB only makes a difference if you get into an emergency situation and are in good enough shape to push the button and stay alive until they get there. Even then, it changes the experience ...

November 05, 9:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm