BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4851 - 4860 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: "If you were seperated from your pack..."
Jack, In a word, No. I value your knowledge and expertise, so don't take the statement wrong. :) At the end of the day, I am done hiking. If I am close to water, I will walk to the source...

In Philosophy & Technique » If you were seperated from your pack...
January 13, 9:59am

Re: Solar solution to recharge laptop, please help.
I am having a real problem with all of this. After all, this is a lightweight backpacking forum. I don't understand why anyone would need a system to recharge electrical equipment, or why they ...

In GEAR » Solar solution to recharge laptop, please help.
January 13, 9:54am

Re: scale
I think an accurate scale is the most important piece of "backpacking gear" one can own, and it should be the first piece of equipment to be purchased. I don't know who coined the phr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » weighing my gear
January 13, 9:42am

Re: ULA Ohm price increase and option decease?
Actually in my opinion the new owner of ULA is smart. Let's start out with the assumption that Brian was earning a wage, not running a "profitable" business. This is typical of many s...

In GEAR » ULA Ohm price increase and option decease?
January 13, 9:38am

Re: "If you were seperated from your pack..."
We cannot be prepared for every "what if." I do see some huge first aid kits in gear lists, anticipating a 1,000 what ifs. I carry little in my pockets. It is usually only what I am go...

In Philosophy & Technique » If you were seperated from your pack...
January 13, 12:01am

Re: Making my footwear white
It is pretty well accepted that lighter colors reflect heat, but then I haven't done any real testing. I have to say that colors of shoes really do not seem to make any difference to me. I ...

In GEAR » Making my footwear white
January 12, 11:29pm

Re: "Running shoes bad for the joints?"
>> 3.8oz. per shoe! Wow, that is light. I 'm almost certain the sweaty sock in the shoe would weigh more than the shoe itself. Buying quality racing flats is like buying lingerie, the les...

In GEAR » Running shoes bad for the joints?
January 12, 6:56pm

Re: rain gear
Josh, Probably so. But UL advocates multiple use. If one item can be used for more than one and save weight, then it makes sense. However, the is always an economy of scale... I don't ove...

In GEAR » Value of a windshirt?
January 12, 5:49pm

Re: Do you have a responsibility for Group?
Seems to me that in case of an emergency, then a group leader needs to surface in case members are not prepared, or require life saving advice. There are many other circumstances that someone needs...

In Philosophy & Technique » Do you have a responsibility for Group?
January 12, 3:45pm

Re: Gear Help Anonymous
Your kids are going to give you a hug after you just spent their inheritance and college tuition?

In GEAR » Gear Help Anonymous
January 12, 3:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am