BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4851 - 4860 of 5285 | Page: 1 ...477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: forced out of ul
... and this is why I have been backpacking solo (with a couple exceptions) for 40 years. :)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » forced out of ul
July 28, 10:28pm

Re: Day Pack Recommendations
No hip pockets, but I am using a GG Murmur for just about everything (if I can get all my gear in it on longer trips). 7.5 oz and under $100.

In GEAR » Day Pack Recommendations
July 28, 10:25pm

Re: Im Soooooo Stifffffff amd Achy :(
BP more often and make your body get used to it. After years of air mattresses, I have gone back to foam. It is getting easier each trip. I am now down to a trimmed GG 3/8" foam pad cut down t...

In GEAR » Im Soooooo Stifffffff amd Achy :(
July 23, 6:05pm

Re: Hot Trip to Trinity Alps
James, See my post in your Too Hot to Hike thread. If it were me... Poncho/Tarp. Main use would be shade during a mid day rest. If it only tops at 95F, I would skip the rest. But chances a...

In Gear Lists » Hot Trip to Trinity Alps
July 23, 1:21pm

Re: Too Hot to Hike
I live and hike in Palm Springs, and am familiar with all the areas in the link James posted. There are no water sources in those areas. Too hot depends on your acclimization. I can hike in thes...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Too hot to hike?
July 23, 12:52pm

Re: ankle injuries
>> physical fitness is hard to factor out- of course athletes in peak training suffer alot of injuries- there risk exposure is much hgher. Fitness probably reduces the RATE of injury-- howeve...

In GEAR » Research on foot/ankle injuries vs footwear choice
July 16, 10:35pm

Re: WTB Mariposa plus or Conduit
Chris, Sorta different packs. The ULA Ohm is closer in size to the Mariposa Plus and both have frames. The Conduit is a little smaller in volume and has no frame.

In Gear Swap » WTB Mariposa plus or Conduit
July 16, 2:10pm

Re: Ankle Injuries
Jeff, Agreed. When I was in high school, I was prone to sprained ankles as a basketball player. I had to tape them and was the only guy on the team to wear high-tops (in those days the Converse ...

July 16, 2:00pm

Re: Research on foot/ankle injuries vs footwear choice
I think that instead of focusing on footwear, we should look at the hiker. - How heavy is the pack? - How agile is the hiker? - What kind of physical condition is the hiker in? - What a...

July 16, 2:42am

Sold
Sold to Brett.

In Gear Swap » WTB: ULA Ohm large
July 16, 2:20am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am