BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4821 - 4830 of 5379 | Page: 1 ...474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 ...538

Forum » Thread

So Cal Hikers - San Jacinto Update
5 feet of fresh powder this week at the tram station. Clear skies until Wednesday. Tram station weather for today (01-23-2010): H = 24F; L = 16F. Keep in mind that with all the storms, wind could b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So Cal Hikers - San Jacinto Update
January 23, 11:24am

Re: Re: gone mental
"Good response by Dan McHale" That is almost a given. Even in heated discussions Dan comes across as calm, rational, and extremely knowledgable. Always enjoy his perspective.

In GEAR » BPL Absaroka Pack
January 22, 6:27pm

Re: What really makes you fat?
Ben, I agree and disagree with you. I think there are enough resources on the subject, that it is not necessary for a BPL article. Also on the tasks at home. Most of your solutions will add t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lighten Your Heaviest Gear: You!
January 22, 6:23pm

Re: BPL Absaroka Pack
Although this pack is probably not for me, I do see one major problem with it... I cannot remember the name, nor can I pronounce it. Even after Ryan's phonetic spelling of the name. Rec...

In GEAR » BPL Absaroka Pack
January 21, 5:59pm

Re: Re: pot size
Roger, You romantic soul. Little bit over evegreen for ambiance; and cheese and crakers? No wonder your wife always goes with you. :)

In GEAR » What size of cooking pot do you use?
January 21, 5:28pm

Re: Re: 61g Japanese Pull Saw @ Harbor Freight
Hmmm.... I have never needed a saw when backpacking. And if using a Bushbuddy, don't they just need twigs, not pieces of wood that would need to be sawed?

In GEAR » 61g Japanese Pull Saw @ Harbor Freight
January 21, 12:49am

Re: Re: Poncho
>>> I've never used a tarp in the rain. Does it really keep you dry? Most Poncho/tarps are going to be around 9' X 5' give or take. In wind driven rain/sleet it needs to be ...

In Winter Hiking » Silnylon Poncho tarp as winter precip protection
January 20, 10:42pm

Re: pro poncho
>> I say buy it anyway. :) Ditto. Great piece of gear.

January 20, 9:56am

Re: Will work, but why?
A couple items to keep in mind. A poncho is going to extend down to your knees or further. It really gets in the way going up hills and plowing through snow. To make it easier to use in these si...

January 20, 9:14am

Re: Essence
For Christmas my kids gave me a REI gift card. There really isn't anything I need from REI, but I found an Essesnce in the Outlet store on sale for $94. Size L in Bonfire/Alert (hey it isn'...

In GEAR » Current Favorite Very Lightweight Rain Jackets?
January 20, 12:53am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am