BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4821 - 4830 of 5388 | Page: 1 ...474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 ...539

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Condensation inside bivy bags
Some thoughts based on my un-scientific experiences. Where does most condensation come from? Breathing. That is why single wall shelters get so much condensation on the walls. I have had instances ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Condensation inside bivy bags
January 26, 10:49am

Re: Shameless advertising
I have found that the lighter the shoe, the more agile I am. With boots I occassionaly "trip." I don't fall, but it causes a stutter step. Doesn't happen with light shoes. When...

In GEAR » At what pack weight would you wear boots?
January 26, 10:21am

Re: Re: Re: Hiking Pants
>> Have you ever had problems with the side zips on the eco-mesh pants rubbing your legs? No, and I don't see how it could happen. the zippers are outside of the mesh fabric (i.e. the ...

In GEAR » Hiking Pants
January 25, 9:15pm

Re: Hiking Pants
I have 3 pair of favorite hiking pants, depending on weather. 1. RailRiders Eco-mesh 2. REI Mistral (schoeller material) 3. REI Acme (schoeller material) The RailRiders are the ones I use m...

In GEAR » Hiking Pants
January 25, 9:39am

Re: 7 summits in 365 days
>> Hmmmm, maybe a more fitting title would be. " Rich,spoiled,bratty,entitled teen gets to have all the fun!" No, I don't think so. It is quite an achievement. But only an el...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » 7 summits in 365 days
January 24, 6:30pm

Re: To those with a Garmin GPS - I need help
I think you need the "Map Source" software from Garmin. Additional purchase.

In GEAR » To those with a Garmin GPS - I need help
January 24, 4:58pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Exercise is over-rated!
Of course execise is not over-rated. But some exercise does add muscle and weight. And exercise probably adds to our appetite. Bottom line is that you need to burn more calories than you take in...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lighten Your Heaviest Gear: You!
January 24, 3:05pm

Re: 7 summits in 365 days
Yea, and it looks like it must have cost him around $150,000 to do it. Not your typical teenager's allowance :). But kudos to the kid.

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » 7 summits in 365 days
January 24, 12:25pm

Re: BPL Absaroka Pack
As I stated early on in this thread, this new pack is probably not for me. However, we cannot judge a pack based only on its weight. What we need to do is wait until those who buy it give us th...

In GEAR » BPL Absaroka Pack
January 24, 1:25am

So Cal Hikers - San Jacinto Update
5 feet of fresh powder this week at the tram station. Clear skies until Wednesday. Tram station weather for today (01-23-2010): H = 24F; L = 16F. Keep in mind that with all the storms, wind could b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So Cal Hikers - San Jacinto Update
January 23, 11:24am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am