Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4811 - 4820 of 5517 | Page: 1 ...473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 ...552

Forum » Thread

Re: Water: How much?
First, you need to be in tune with your body's water needs. This varies for individuals. I live and hike in the desert, and am sure I need a lot less water than many others. Given that, there a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Water: How much?
March 22, 9:35am

Re: Bulk supplements and my PCT diet
I hope it tastes good. I need food that is somewhat palatable.

In GEAR » Bulk supplements and my PCT diet
March 22, 9:23am

Re: Curses
"Curse you Californians. We're about to get another winter storm, here..." Move. Dean, Tongue in cheek. I know you are a military man. Thanks for all you do for us.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » So Cal WIldflowers!!
March 22, 9:16am

Re: So Cal WIldflowers!! - Anza Borrego Pictures
Too bad I am not into photography!! But here are some P&S pictures of my trip this weekend. Hiked away from the crowds, so did not venture into the areas which probably had more flowers. ...

March 21, 11:18pm

Re: re: Vibram Five Fingers
As I have mentioned before, I no longer hike in them (unless on manicured trails). It is too easy to hit something with my little toe, i.e. rocks, roots, etc.

In GEAR » Vibram Five Fingers??
March 21, 11:01pm

Re: Re: Re: Summer insulating layer for the mountains
For temps down to about 30F or high 20F I bring my MB XUL jacket and a shell. Like Ben, when it gets close to 30F, I get in my sleeping bag.

In GEAR » Summer insulating layer for the mountains
March 21, 10:56pm

Re: Well put Craig.
+1 I would never consider myself a "speed" hiker, but I can do 30 miles if need be. Those are usually hikes in areas I am familar with, and with a time constraint. I don't have ...

In Philosophy & Technique » High Speed Backpacking - why
March 21, 10:38pm

Re: Base Weight Vs. Consumables Discussion
Great subject. On short trips my food is similar to Ben's but different lunch. On longer trips, then I switch my dinners to something else. But to be honest, I have to have food that tastes ...

In GEAR » Base Weight Vs. Consumables Discussion
March 21, 10:22pm

Re: Re: So Cal WIldflowers!!
Pieter, It is hard to say. We've had a warm streak recently. But I would bet my the next weekend. I am probably headed out to Borrego this weekend. Not sure where I am going to go the next. ...

March 19, 12:29am

Re: Re: So Cal WIldflowers!!
Eugene, You're excused, since you have a "little" trip planned starting in April. Good luck and I hope it goes well and safe.

March 18, 10:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am