BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4811 - 4820 of 5415 | Page: 1 ...473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 ...542

Forum » Thread

Re: Mariposa plus
+1 on the Mariposa Plus. I had a ULA Conduit and an Ohm. Both are fine packs, but I just find it easier to live out of GG packs. I now use either a Murmur for short trips, and the Mariposa Plus ...

In GEAR » Pack Decisions
February 18, 12:14am

Re: Anyone Tried the REI Kimtah eVENT Jacket?
Hey Ben, I don't have any experience with this jacket, but have been on a similar quest the past few months. And since we have had a lot of rain, there has been ample opportunities to experi...

In GEAR » Anyone Tried the REI Kimtah eVENT Jacket?
February 17, 6:46pm

Re: Is it better to lose weight, or decrease pack weight?
Five pounds in the pack. The weight is probably going to be concentrated on your shoulders. Five pounds off the body is going to be distributed everywhere, so you will feel the difference in the pa...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is it better to lose weight, or decrease pack weight?
February 17, 5:47pm

Re: Should I walk the PCT this year?
Brandon, In twenty or thirty years if you think you will say, "I sure regret not hiking the PCT in 2010." then you have the answer. When I was young I took 2 epic trips before I was...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Should I walk the PCT this year?
February 11, 5:39pm

Re: Boots
>>> When the majority of NBA players use low top shoes I might change my mind about ankle support, but until then... Umm, I think a lot of them get paid money to wear them. I'll w...

In GEAR » Trail runners or boots for the Sierras?
February 11, 5:34pm

Re: Las Vegas Hikes (Logistics)
Steven, Red Rock canyon is beautiful and within driving distance of a couple million people... you know what that means :) 3rd week in May could bring temperatures well above 100. I haven&...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Las Vegas Hikes (Logistics)
February 11, 12:19am

Re: sleeping bags.
For under $200 you might look at the Marmot Atom. Rated at 40F and weighs around 20 oz. Wear insulated clothing if it gets colder.

In GEAR » sleeping bags.
February 10, 10:35pm

Re: Shirts
Evan, Actually your question about what shirt to take is complicated. I only want one shirt that will also function as a base layer when it is cold. I live in the desert and I have dark complexi...

In Gear Lists » Novice PCT gear list draft 1
February 10, 10:30pm

Re: Gear Brands and Their Pimps
I don't think I "pimp" brands. But it has been pointed out that I have a lot a Gossamer Gear stuff. Didn't start out that way, but I just keep replacing/adding stuff and it is gen...

In GEAR » Gear Brands and Their Pimps
February 10, 9:24pm

Re: Re: BPL Inflatable Sleep Pad - Anyone Use One?
I love mine. But keep in mind that I also can sleep on a torso length foam pad. I use the Torsolite if I am not in "ground sleeping shape."

In GEAR » BPL Inflatable Sleep Pad - Anyone Use One?
February 10, 6:16pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am