BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 4801 - 4810 of 5284 | Page: 1 ...472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 ...529

Forum » Thread

Re: My wife is gonna be mad when the Visa bill comes...
Well, seeing how most of those purchases were for her and the kids, shouldn't be too much of a problem. Now what you should have done was just discuss the equipment... not the purchase. If you ...

In Chaff » My wife is gonna be mad when the Visa bill comes...
December 20, 5:07pm

Re: Re: Re: How to determine if a pass is passable
Roger, "I wonder ... was it (otherwise) a pretty good trip? (Betcha.)" Absolutely. Going back in two weeks.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to determine if a pass is passable
December 17, 4:24pm

Re: Re: re: contributing
"People who could give a d@mn about their health should have have to pay for it, not force me to." Right on Brian. I am not my brother's keeper and do not want to be forced to pay ...

In Chaff » Health Care
December 17, 9:07am

Re: Weight vs 'The Look'
"Form follows function." Since one of my main hiking goals is to avoid other people, it doesn't matter. Plus I wouldn't know what cool or geek looks like anyway.

In Philosophy & Technique » Weight vs 'The Look'
December 17, 9:00am

Re: Selling out
Pretty tough to be profitable in the cottage industry. I suspect that most cottage owners are making a living, not a profit. So if GoLite went 'main stream' to become more profitable, o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What happened to Golite?
December 16, 5:25pm

Re: Ultralight Phone Choice
Pretty much if you want reliable phone coverage, you need a sattelite phone. And they cost a lot more than your typical cell phone. Also to save battery life, take the battery out of the phone,...

In GEAR » Phone Choice
December 13, 10:00pm

Re: Professional Backpacking...
Professional Backpacker? Doubt there have ever been more than a handful who have ever been truly financial independent from this. Colin Fletcher is the only one I can name, and I haven't re...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Professional Backpacking.....
December 13, 9:55pm

Re: Montbell Ex Light ? 900 fill down
Joe, I have the Montbell Ex Light size L and it weighs 6.1 oz. Without any scientific test it seems just as warm as my Patagonia Down Sweater which weighs 11.7 ozs. The Montbell shell seems ...

In GEAR » Light weight down jackets, how warm are they?
December 12, 1:50pm

Re: How to determine if a pass is passable
Roger said it best, you might just have to go look at it and have a back up plan. Usually I am pretty good at figuring it out from studying a topo map. Had an iritating experience last year thou...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How to determine if a pass is passable
December 12, 1:37pm

Re: Re: Are Nunataks good or just lack of competition?
Yes. And better yet, they are often custom made. I called not knowing what would be best. Tom asked a lot of questions, then offered a solution, explaining why he thought it was the best option....

In GEAR » Are Nunataks good or just lack of competition?
December 11, 3:28pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am